how many rounds for breaking in?

After how many rounds would you consider the saiga broken in? I dont want to do anything drastic until I am sure that it will not improve anymore from just breaking in. Especially as I dont think really drastic measures are needed.

I put the tasco stock and forearm on yet along with an original rail for a reddot. I need the dot as I cannot shoot without it due to my eyes. Need the collapsable stock as we are not allowed to move the trigger and I want a pistol grip. Dont need the forearm really but lookes cooler. Any issues with the tasco forarm and the bending of the gastube known or does that only apply to the quadrail?

Also have the poly choke/compensator combo on. Also the OEM magwell.

Gasholes are nice and look just as they should be

So far I have around 150 rounds tops on it now. It cycles anything from 32 gramm up without problem. No FTLs and only 2 or 3 FTEs but those are my fault in not holding the gun right I guess.

Have not tried 30 gramms yet

With 28 gramms it has around 1 to 2 FTEs per 10 round mag. Funny thing is that with the 26 gramms slugs it also has around 1 to 2 FTEs per 10 round mag while with 28gramm slugs like 4 to 5 FTEs

with 24 gramms it is a single load thing and even then problems with FTLs which I dont really mind as I would never use them for a competition anyway. Would be nice for training though as they are the cheapest of course

Aim would be to have it cycle reliabley with 28 gramms.

My next steps would be changing the springs and if that does not help doing a polishing job.

If the gas holes look nice, your first step should be a replacement gas puck and/or replacement gas regulator - this will most likely fix your reliability problem.

"Gasholes are nice and look just as they should be"??? What does that mean, exactly? What size are the gas ports? And how many?

The reprofiling and polishing of the hammer, bolt, bolt carrier, and rails should be done before spending money on new springs (that probably won't be needed).

• Like 2

He does the conversion, re-profile, and polish before he fires them. Neither he, nor I, believe that "breaking it in" comes anywhere close to what a good re-profile and polish will do...

+1

I can enjoy them from the first shot on as well ;) I know they will not feel and function like I want them to out of the box, so I just tear them down and make them what they should have been from the factory.

OP,

Save yourself some money. Hand cycle the weapon violently for about 30 minutes with no lube. It will do about the same thing that "break in" will.... very little. At least cycling it by hand does not cost anything ;)

Cut this member a little slack--I believe he's in Europe and it's very possible English is a second language.

Yep it is my second language. First one is German. Maybe I should not have used nice big_smile.gif I edit the post because I just wanted to know how many rounds can be considered breaking in. Gave too much information at first to get the answer I wanted big_smile.gif

Welcome to the forum fritzthemoose, sounds like you close to getting your S12 100%.

Puck, plug and polish is the next step.

thx.

Yep I am not dissatiesfied so far. As it cycles everything above 30gramms or so and could be worse with 28 gramms I guess. Any replamcement parts out of the US are idealy avoided as it seems that even a picture of a gun is ITAR these days haha.gif

Of course you can always get stuff even outside of the US but the main problem is that you cannot be sure if you will ever get a replacement if it breaks. A whole indusrie developed for non US AR 15 parts for example.

Puck and Plug is in the works as there are OEM options for the puck and the plug is available outside of the US too

Lets see where that gets me. For me the main thing is that I dont want to jump the gun and do impprovements before I dont know if they are acutally needed. So as soon that I am sure the gun will not improve anymore from breaking in then its the time for me to do additional things.

If it still has problems after a couple hundred rounds you need to fix it. If you have no problems after a couple hundred rounds - leave it alone!

Thats the plan

OP,

Save yourself some money. Hand cycle the weapon violently for about 30 minutes with no lube. It will do about the same thing that "break in" will.... very little. At least cycling it by hand does not cost anything wink.png

cheaper but less fun big_smile.gif

OP,

Save yourself some money. Hand cycle the weapon violently for about 30 minutes with no lube. It will do about the same thing that "break in" will.... very little. At least cycling it by hand does not cost anything wink.png

When I tried this I went blind (temporarily) and grew hair on my palm. Are you sure about not using lube?

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...

Hundreds..... Just for the fun of it at least that's what I told the ole girl when I bought five federal bulk Packs and was at the range every evening for about a week and a half long period now I need another S-12 so I can use that excuse again lol

Edited by Warthog35F

My gun was more reliable after about 200 rounds of mid-brass($8/box Fiochi*purple or blue box*). Although if I had to do it over I would start by hand cycling as suggested by Evlblkwpnz above, it just seems to make more sense.