So I've been off S12 for a while, honestly I've just been too busy to keep up with a lot of forum stuff. Trying to get back into the groove and stop lurking, but it's hard keeping track of knife making, forums and college...

Anyway thought I'd show off some of my recent custom knives. I've been working on building some high end balisongs (butterfly knives) for the past couple months. This model is called the Orion, it's a 5 inch bladed beast with .2 inch thick cryo-tuned ATS-34, quarter inch thick rounded 6Al4V titanium handles, quarter inch pivots, a unique system of internal stop pins which give the knife a 2x boost in strength over zen or tang pins and my own custom bushing/washer system that makes the knife practically flip itself.

Here's some of the knives I've been making...

DSC01606.jpg

DSC01604.jpg

3ccd768e.jpg

DSC01541.jpg

DSC01535.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01306.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

• Like 6

Those are nice. If they are for sale, I'd be interested. Those handles on the bottom pic are beautiful! You've annealed the titanium?

ATS-34 would have a hardness of about 59 HRC, is that about right?

EDIT: Found a YT video of the Orion:

Edited by Kevin in Texas

Thanks guys!

Yep, that's me on youtube. I'll have a couple for sale, I'll post them up in the for sale area but some folks may be put off by the price, they do start around 650$ (which given the material costs is actually a bargain, they're handmade out of some pricey materials and each one takes about 40 hours to complete). Some have S110V blades which are a bit more expensive.

I take my ATS-34 up to 57RWC but with the cryo-tuning from ECHT they've been very impressive. Tough as nails these knives... I still have to edit the video but I was able to hoist my fathers pickup off the ground with cables attached to the front and backs of the knives. They have compound grinds which eliminate the need for a swedge and increase tip strength.

As far as custom work goes, I'm pretty full up right now, tho I can build fixed blades if you need one (I do those all entirly by hand, so I don't have to devote a ton of time to CAD creation for production). I'm a full time college student and I'm basically just making knives to put myself thru college. I do have another upcoming knife, this is the Blackstar. It's claim to fame is going to be the handle, which is milled out of one solid piece of titanium. Instead of having a locking and non-locking sides, it just has a one piece Ti handle.

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

Still in concept stages but I'm making those this summer, no price on these until I have one finished. Should be fun smile.png

Edited by Floyd

if that is led lights on the 4th butterfly picture i would like to buy one plz smile.png prices?

It's actually a glow in the dark epoxy that I came up with about a year ago. It's hard to get glue and junk to bond to titanium, so I had to do a bit of searching to find a clear epoxy that will adhear. That one's going to be up for sale soon, just waiting on HT for it, price will be 850$ since it's got an S110V blade as well.

Yeah I know, not much I can do about it since its the materials and it takes about 40 hours to make a single knife. The titanium, just for raw mateials in a single knife costs about 400$ to buy and machine, I'm making every part in the knife except the screws at the ends of the handles and don't get me started on S110V... anyway, boils down to yes, it's pricey, but it's high performance gear that will last a lifetime, they're handmade and I'm actually extremely competative with the competition as far as custom knife makers go. Custom knives cost money. I gotta make something tho, that's how I'm putting myself thru college lol.

Edited by Floyd

Actually I have a drop in modular latch system, you just undo a couple screws in the rear and I have different kinds of latches that drop in, a T-latch, spring latch and a ball bearing detent latch that's unique to this design.

Yeah I know, not much I can do about it since its the materials and it takes about 40 hours to make a single knife. The titanium, just for raw mateials in a single knife costs about 400$ to buy and machine, I'm making every part in the knife except the screws at the ends of the handles and don't get me started on S110V... anyway, boils to yes, it's pricey, but it's high performance gear that will last a lifetime, they're handmade and I'm actually extremely competative with the competition as far as custom knife makers go. Custom knives cost money. I gotta make something tho, that's how I'm putting myself thru college lol.

It's easy to look at something thats been made before in a high production facility, and not reaize the price point. Untill you try to make it yourself. Then you realize how much harder it is to make a single product as opposed to a one-off. Then combine that with artisian grade work and exotic materials (which offten require hours of research on proper machining techniques and specialized cutting inserts and coolants) it gets EXPENSIVE FAST!

The price point on these knives is about what one would expect at the lower end of the price range, being the materials used. The ironic thing about this quality of blade is , that while they're made to last a lifetime and hold an edge for long time, the last thing anybody wants to do with an $800 knife is actually use it. Defintatly not your average joes pocket knife. More for a discerning collector.

• Like 1

Very nice blades.

I collect the original bali songs and have two that are double edged. along with a bunch of other high end ones.

started out in the early 80's with one and it kinda went from there.

I just picked up a single edge bone handle that is the little brother to one of the double edged ones I have everything is identical accept the blade and serial #

Again Nice work..

Edited to ask

Do you sharpen knives for profit?

I'm scared to just send them out for it. But anyone that can make a knife of that quality can sharpen one.

Edited by armalite_ar50

I have a small collection of balisongs myself too, tho its no where near what some guys in the hobby have lol. Mostly I just make stuff tho. I'm actually more into guns than knives, I enjoy them more, but high end and handmade knives actually make awesome investments just like guns.

Sharpening... yep I do sharpen knives for folks, I charge 5$ a knife, 25$ for specialty items like swords, spear heads, throwing weapons, ect plus whatever return shipping is and you have to pay to ship them out to me.

Beautiful blades. How much does the blade weigh compared to both handles? A good bali song is not balanced like traditional blades. My fav. bali is a microtech right now. Thinner lighter blades make a fast bali. A heavy blade would really change the swing weight. Another thing to consider is the latch. The standard is the t shaped latch which is used as a non lethal or pre strike weapon for raking the eyes upon opening.

Keep up the good work! Dont let the cost bum you out. Plenty of people out there willing to pay for quality. Nice look and finish on your blades. I love the steel you used. Many of my emersons use the same steel. stays sharp under abuse. hard as hell to reset!

To be completely honest I'm more concerned with putting together the absolute best knife I possibly can than using lower end materials to try and sell more knives. I can't build them fast enough as it is... I'd rather just use Ti. Gives me more finish options, it's lighter and stronger, more durable from denting and it puts the balance point where it needs to be ;)

• Like 1

To be completely honest I'm more concerned with putting together the absolute best knife I possibly can than using lower end materials to try and sell more knives. I can't build them fast enough as it is... I'd rather just use Ti. Gives me more finish options, it's lighter and stronger, more durable from denting and it puts the balance point where it needs to be wink.png

The market is already saturated with mediocer shit. Keep doing what your doing man.

price will be 850$ since it's got an S110V blade as well.

beaten.gif

That's not so bad. My buddy is a Master Blade Smith and the blade he made to be evaluated to become one had a handle made of Mammoth tusk which he ended up selling for around $40k. Nice work Floyd!

price will be 850$ since it's got an S110V blade as well.

beaten.gif

That's not so bad. My buddy is a Master Blade Smith and the blade he made to be evaluated to become one had a handle made of Mammoth tusk which he ended up selling for around $40k. Nice work Floyd!

pete from wf?