Gas tube question

Just got my hands on this new Saiga 12. I had FTE issues. After jumping through all the hoops like using high brass, and slugs I figured I had a gas issue. Found an extra port under the gas block when I pulled everything apart. I have given it the D Mod fix. Still have the same issue. Some one take a look at this gas tube and tell me if this bend is supposed to be there. Looks to me like it may have been installed by a drunk Russian. It looks like it got pinched, and I maybe losing gas here. I don't want to dig out the ports until I rule this out. Any help would be appreciated.

post-40736-0-45842000-1333228315_thumb.jpg

post-40736-0-53109200-1333228324_thumb.jpg

post-40736-0-11226700-1333228332_thumb.jpg

post-40736-0-45145000-1333228344_thumb.jpg

Sent this to TGI distributors today...

Guess we'll see if their customer service is any good. I'll keep you updated as I hear anything.

Hello,

I recently purchased a Saiga 12 from Classic Arms. After trying to get it to stop failing to eject shells, by way of conversion, and polishing rails and action, I looked at the gas system. I got the gas block off, found an extra port, and also discovered that the gas tube had literally been smashed on to the block. Whoever did this also tried to fix the issue by adding weld in the tube to try and seal the leak. I have never seen anything like it. Can you swap me out on a gas tube?

Serial Number: H11416330

Date of purchase: 2/27/2012

Order Number from Classic Arms: m02fwg-c43

Thanks,

Darron

If they screw you, just take a needle nose pliers to it and bend it out. smooth it out with a chainsaw file. It doesn't need to be perfect, it's only a guide. It's the guide that is most likely scratching your piston and slowing the action. You could drill a million holes in that "gas tube" guide and it would still work perfectly, you just might get gas in places you dont want!

• Like 2

And here is the big FU brought to you by TGI...

Love a company who stand behind their product.

sales@tnguns.com

7:27 AM (1 hour ago)

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gifcleardot.gif</p>

to Darron

cleardot.gif </p>

Unfortunately we don't have any spare parts for these firearms. Also, we

don't warranty any rifles that have been manipulated by anyone other than

our partner builders.

The "gas tube" actually doesn't see any gas pressure so has nothing to do

with sealing gas rather it only guides the bolt carrier piston. The part

that contains the gas and is actually the "gas piston" is in the gas

block.

If you are having cycling issues we have found the biggest issue to be;

1. Gas port size (.070" on 4 hole .085" on 3 hole)

2. Gas port alignment (barrel holes aligned with gas block hole)

3. Extractor alignment to barrel cut (fixed by smoothing/polishing)

4. Hammer to bolt and bolt carrier interference (fixed by

smoothing/polishing)

TGI

Yeah, if I hadn't converted it they would have had to deal with it though. However, if I hadn't knocked the gas block off, I would have never figured out the issue either. The bend was right above the barrel. Frustrating.

Did you try hammering it out as the others suggested? Keep us posted. I'm curious as I've never seen this problem and I almost smashed the end of my gas tube a few times taking the block on and off. Good luck.

Who ever did the pinch job was well aware of the fact. There was a small weld job to reinforce, right behind the bend. Weird So I took the dremmel and made short work of the weld. Then took a cresent wrench and bent the lip back best I could. A socket (as in wrench) was then stuffed in the gas tube. Hammer time. Shaped it back up, and followed up with a file to smooth things out. I lost about 1/16th inch of metal in the pinched area, but it more than covered up the gas block flange. Hopefully, it will be good enough. By the way, I'm pretty sure the the bolt was rubbing the welded area creating FTE. I'll post again after I haul it out to the desert this weekend.

Edited by dboberg
  • Like 1

Another prime example for the need to use the weapon before you convert it. Any issues could be discovered and resolved under warranty.

Nothing like stating the blatantly obvious, to the obviously aware.

Here's the pics...

post-40736-0-85129300-1333464435_thumb.jpg

post-40736-0-20101000-1333464462_thumb.jpg

post-40736-0-99239500-1333464477_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Another prime example for the need to use the weapon before you convert it. Any issues could be discovered and resolved under warranty.

Here's the pics...

My comment is meant for the unaware, like those who are new to Saiga . There are so many members telling the newbs to convert convert convert. ...but not many saying shoot it. The fact that you jumped the gun might help others to avoid the same fate.
  • Like 2

Here's the pics...

My comment is meant for the unaware, like those who are new to Saiga . There are so many members telling the newbs to convert convert convert. ...but not many saying shoot it. The fact that you jumped the gun might help others to avoid the same fate.

I totally get where you are coming from. AND I totally agree with you. Shoot the thing before you convert, and know that if you convert, chances are you are giving the gun a warrantyectomy.

Perhaps, it is I that was not clear. As I thought I said earlier, the shotgun ran slugs, and high brass with a FTE here and there. Maybe 1 in 10. I new what I was getting into, I had shot the thing and assumed, correctly, that my new gun had a gas issue. I love building these things and making them Wally Mart proficient. I had never ran into a welded, bent gas tube. I would have probably not converted the thing had I known that hidden under the gas block was a jacked up gas tube. I would have sent it back. The fact is, until I got the gas block off, thus voiding the warranty, to address the gas ports, I had no idea there was an issue. So the problem wasn't not shooting it, and being aware of the consequences, it was more an issue of a hidden surprise .

I posted it cause its something I had never ran across.

• Like 1

Way to turn a bad situation around through self help. I have seen plenty that have been screwed up by carelessness at the factory, but this is the first time I have seen someone actively mangle a gun and try to cover it up.

• Like 1

Way to turn a bad situation around through self help. I have seen plenty that have been screwed up by carelessness at the factory, but this is the first time I have seen someone actively mangle a gun and try to cover it up.

Thanks for that. I'm all about a good mangling!!!rolleyes.gif

Edited by Fetchin Fetcher

Duct tape balls thrown on a cat will keep it busy for hours! Little pieces of duct tape glue side up will teach the fur bearing assholes to keep off the kitchen counter and dinner table!

• Like 2