Easiest S12 Conversion

Ok, I'm getting a 922® headache. I've done a bunch of forum searches and checked out several other web sites and I'm worse off now than I was when I started. So I apologize if this seems like a repeat question, but I haven't been able to piece together a good answer.

It sounds to me like the only way to really be compliant would include replacing the FCG but every option I can find for that seems to include moving the trigger forward. I'm not really interested in doing this, because it involves more work than I really want to do? Isn't there a US made FCG that can just be dropped in as a replacement without having to change anything? I have a butt stock with a built in pistol grip so I really don't need to move the trigger.

Overall I'm just wondering if there is a list of simple things you can do that don't involve anything other than a screwdriver? The stock and foregrip are obvious choices, as well as the gas puck, but what else can be done easily without drilling or cutting that would add up to enough replaced parts to comply?

I'm actually tempted to just put the factory stock back on it and not bother messing with it.

If im allowed to sugest outside sites.

google: carolinashooterssupply.com

Go to video's.

They have a whole section (5 videos) on how to completly convert your saiga.

At least look into this before you give up/proceed further.

You want to move the trigger. You want to restore your Saiga to is rightful glory. It is super simple and you'll enjoy it. There's tons of great info on here for doing it and your options for customization greatly increase as well.

The goal is to use magazines over 5 and not move the trigger group?

You subtract parts to reduce the foreign parts count. (don't think of adding US parts) You just happen to replace those parts with american ones that don't affect the count.

From OEM by the current regs you have 15 parts to start with. This is ok, because OEM has been specifically improved for importation. Change it by adding a bigger magazine and you get to play the games.

15 minus one fore grip = 14

14 minus one puck = 13

13 minus one fore grip = 12

With factory mag, this is legal as OEM equivalent still.

With big USA mag it is legal, because the mag is 3 parts. (12- 3 = 9)

You really should do the restore, and it costs about the same. However it is possible to do this legally without moving the trigger group.

If you want a pistol grip without moving the trigger, use one of the stocks with a pistol grip attatched like the crummy tapco.

here is the break down:

15 minus one fore grip = 14

14 minus one puck = 13

13 minus one fore grip = 12

12 minus one stock = 11 (Adding a US pistol grip does not affect the foreign count one way or the other)

11 minus either one Bolt Carrier Extention or one Muzzle device = 10: Legal with all magazines.

This route costs more than a basic restoration/conversion and is not as good. It really is an easy job.

using basic decent parts you should be able to do a full conversion with a bolt on trigger guard (easiest possible route) for ~$150 and be legal with all magazines. This gives you a much nicer gun. It really is easy.

Thanks for the advice guys. One of the reasons I didn't want to move the trigger is because I already bought a stock with the built in pistol grip. Did that before I found out about all this 922r stuff. I think for now I'll just do the stock, grip, puck, muzzle attachement fix. Then some day I'll move the trigger when I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of the stock I bought.

With most of those you can move the pistol grip off of the stock and onto the gun. I.e. tapco, Mako, AGP....

So you can get your money's worth now. The trigger group counts for three parts and costs $30. Compare that to Puck $10+, Barrell Attatchment $30+, Fore grip $65+. It is still the best deal.

You have 1 US stock. Subtract 4 other foreign parts and you are good to go. the cheapest are the FCG and puck.

You'll regret it until you convert it.

Then that regret turns to pride.

It's easy, fun, more reliable......and just too damn cool when you get it done.

Watch the Videos from Carolina Shooters Supply.

027.gifdeadhorse.gif2c.gif

Interesting. Lots of people have used the grip from the Tapco set. I think they have to trim some plastic to make it work, but I know many have done so.

I thought the s12 had 14 parts not 15

It used to. The ATF recently decided to count the part that would be the piston on a normal AK as an "operating rod". Previously it was considered to be part of the carrier and people referred to it as the "bolt carrier extension" That screwed up a lot of people's parts counts, including mine. doubtless many are unaware that their guns are now out of compliance, who assembled their guns relying on prior ATF letters. This is why it pays to be a few parts under the maximum.

From what I heard, you have to trim a little clearance around the trigger guard. Anyway, There will be a lot of pressure here to do a "proper conversion" It is your gun and is still amazing in the sporting format with a legal conversion only. The thing is that the right work is cheaper in the long run and feels so much better. If you use your gun often you will eventually want to go through with it. Watch all the videos, use your stock and grip and get another $102 worth of parts (FCG, Retainer Plate, trigger guard PG nut combo, Puck, spray paint) and you will have it how you want it for life. It is so easy.

converting your Saiga is actually pretty easy.

this thread helped me a lot in understanding what needs to be done.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/40886-step-by-step-conversion-with-pics/

I wont say to follow his direction because i haven't converted my own yet,(I'm working on it, chill) but his pictures really helped me understand just what is happening.

as for 922r. well, I've figured that if you just get a US fore-end, stock, trigger grouping, and mags, there's no way you are un-compliant. Most of which comes in a conversion kit or is the required parts to convert them. (if i recall correctly if you get a conversion kit, and US mags, you're set.)

I'm actually tempted to just put the factory stock back on it and not bother messing with it.

If im allowed to sugest outside sites.

google: carolinashooterssupply.com

Go to video's.

They have a whole section (5 videos) on how to completly convert your saiga.

At least look into this before you give up/proceed further.

You can indeed post external links to business members. However, I believe you can do what you did with any site since it's not a direct link.