No sporting purpose

Well I am going to try my best to dispell the myth that our guns have no sporting purpose this weekend.

The Cobra is sighted in and I am heading to bear camp Friday morning. My cousin has been sending me pictures off the trail camera about every other day. The bear are hitting my bait pile like crazy. My cousin sat in my blind a couple nights ago to see if anything would come in and he said a monster showed up just before dark. He said it probably went between 400 and 500 pounds.

With a little luck I will be able to update this post in about a week with some pictures.

Thats why i purchased my 308win saiga in the first place to hunt with it. I just found a used 308win saiga too with scope and extra mag for $229 in like new excellent condition too. I when looking for a new hunting rifle. I wanted to scope a saiga but not my favorite plinker so now I have an extra one scoped. I have to load up some speer magnum mag tips for it.

We headed out to the blind about 4:30 pm on opening day. My brother was along to video tape the hunt. As we approched the blind an absolute monster of a bear was spotted approaching the bait pile. I tried to get in a good position for a shot but the big guy winded us and took off before I could shoot. When he turned and ran off he looked about the size of a Volkswagon.

We sat just roasting in the blind when just a bit before dark I saw another bear entering the bait site. I got my brothers attention and he started the video camera. Once the bear got in the opening I decided it looked like a shooter. I sighted in on the bruin and slowly squeezed the trigger. At the sound of the rifle the bear hunched up and then took off running into the woods.

We found him just 20 yards in the woods. I scored a heart shot which had completely blown the top half of the heart off. It was a real chore dragging him back out in the open so we could use the lights on the 4 wheeler to aid in the gutting process.

Once we got him back to camp, he was placed on a scale. He was 330 pounds after being dressed out. We figured he was close to, if not, 400 pounds live weight.

I had him dropped off at the taxidermist within an hour of arriving home.

Lookdown.jpg

gripgrin.jpg

grip2.jpg

paws.jpg

Nice bear! Congrats! My neighbor bagged a nice smelly 320lb one. He drove all the way back from the U.P. with it in the back of his Explorer. :eek: :eek: I don't know what condition his meat will be in given it's been pretty warm. He got it Sunday night and came back yesterday.

Anyway, good shooting!

nice bear lumpy.

the sporting purpose clause as ive said numerous times, is ILLEGAL. secondly, competitions are all OVER the country that use all different kinds of "assault type" weapons. the NRA isnt your friend. they obviously think that we should all have bolt guns and double barrels. I dont know for certain, but i was under the impression that the competitions that are open to the public that require military type arms to be used just to complete the courses of fire, well, dont they keep SCORE? dont you win shit for first place? wait....that would make that a competing SPORT right?

sporting clause give me a break. they want to make sure that the people dont have the ability to take the power back when the government goes over the line one day. not IF, but WHEN. I think the police and government forget that they arent running a business sometimes.

and besides, I cant think of anything MORE sporting than going out with a toolbox full of 30 round magazines, and blowing the shit out of whatever it is you are shooting at that day with your buddies. if that isnt sporting, I dont know what is....in fact, I was under the impression that plinking is an american tradition.

Nice Score Lumpy.

Are you going to have the head mounted? I'll give you this, you got hair. If I was going bear hunting I would be using somethin more hefty than a .308. I sure as heck wouldn't want to shoot one and hen wrestle it to the ground to finish the job. I ain't Daniel Boone. I'm think either a Winchester magnum or more likely a .50 BMG. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Anyway, I'm glad you got your bear and had a good time. That's one you will be able to talk about the rest of your days. :super::super:

:killer:

For Wolverine, not trying to be cranky but the .308 is more than adequate for any black bear.  Wouldn't want to go after large coastal grizzlies or polars but the gun will turn the lights out on a black bear.  Don

308 is very adequate for a Black Bear, and anyhow they call it shot placement. I work at a archery shop and we have more than one picture of that size bear that are taken at 12 to 25 yds with a bow. We have one picture of a smalish man who shot a Cape Buffalo at 40 yds one shot went in the chest and went clear through to the rear. Another took a coastal Grizzly with his bow.

Said all that to say that a .308 is adequate.

I'll atest to the S-308's ability to drop critters. I've dropped hill country whitetail deer with 2 different 22" S-308's, one converted, one not. I've dropped them standing from set shots and while on the run from the standing position. The last day of last season dropped a big doe (150 lbs before dressing) at over 100 yards on the run thru the neck. The converted 22" I was using had a scope.

Now that I have a Kobra red dot on my 16" I plan on blooding it this season. :killer:

post-1486-1127757167_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...