what to do cracked bolt

I have a welder but I would probably fuck it up. I am going to try and contact raac and hopefuly there is some kind of waranty. but doubtfull. if not I will send it to pauly and get it fixed. this sucks I have not fired very many magnum loads or high brass. the gun only has maby 1000 rounds down the pipe. mostly federal and some of my reloads. wich are about the same as the federals.

That seems to be what the others with that problem have done. Several people who welded themselves or farmed it out had the welds crack. Search for the old threads.

I would find a top notch diesel engine head repair service. I have seen many heads saved by pinning and welding. Small holes are bored into the crack and steel pins inserted, then welded. It won't be an inexpensive repair, but it will be less than scraping your 12. Good luck.

I don't know if it's been tried nor have I looked but is the S-12 carrier itself the same as a regular AKM carrier? I know the piston is different and I haven't compared my own, but it'd be worth a look. Apex sells carriers without the pistion. Maybe someone could fit your piston to a new AKM carrier and it would work.

Edited by dayofruin

I don't know if it's been tried nor have I looked but is the S-12 carrier itself the same as a regular AKM carrier? I know the piston is different and I haven't compared my own, but it'd be worth a look. Apex sells carriers without the pistion. Maybe someone could fit your piston to a new AKM carrier and it would work.

I think the s12 carier is unique to the s12 and not interchangable. maby somebody very talented could mill one .

If you had a cracked bolt, you might be fucked, but since it's just the carrier, can definitely be fixed with welding. I actually BROKE my carrier, and it was repairable.

• Like 1

The S12 carrier is unique to the platform. Those cracks are very repairable. You need somebody who is good with a tig and has experience welding exotics like stainless. ( the carrier isn't stainless but has a high chrome content) As others have said an engine shop or an exotics specailty fab shop should be up to the task.

Try warranty service. If they won't help you out, drill a hole just beyond the end of the crack and it will likely stop the cracking. It doesn't appear to be spreading much, so it may be fine that way.

ETA: Nevermind my original reply. That crack was probably there the whole time, but wasn't noticable. I would shoot it a while longer and keep a deadeye on it wink.png

Edited by evlblkwpnz

The S12 carrier is unique to the platform. Those cracks are very repairable. You need somebody who is good with a tig and has experience welding exotics like stainless. ( the carrier isn't stainless but has a high chrome content) As others have said an engine shop or an exotics specailty fab shop should be up to the task.

Any steel with 10% or more chromium is considered stainless steel (carpenter steel handbook)

Yes this is very repairable. Anyone good with tig, and the right filler rod can do this.

just don't let someone weld the rod to the carrier nonono.gif

Also be sure to draw back the weld area.

Edited by RamLake

I just discoverd my bolt carier has 2 cracks one on each side of the dimples holding holding the operating rod.

You can weld on it but with out re-heat treating properly it will become to brittle and crack even more. How do I know? We had a bolt carrier crack on a full auto shop gun, we welded it up with a tig and within a few thousand rounds it was cracking even worse. Try finding a bolt carrier I think they should be interchangeable.

If it was mine I would get it tig welded, then file or grind it back flush. If you're worried about the welds cracking... just for extra insurance...drill and pin it all the way through the center, perpendicular to the plane of the two cracks. Just bevel the holes in the outside of the carrier, and drive a solid (snug fitting) pin through it. Cut it off about 1/4" long on both sides and double peen it in place just like I do when replacing a factory piston / op rod with a new one. Fixed.

BTW after going through that already, I would replace the op rod with a Tom Cole HD one.

• Like 2

so you can't just go and buy a new carrier for an S-12?

Nope, none of the importers have decided to support what they sell with spare parts. You could make a killing if you could get Izhmash to sell you common replacement parts. For now, you have to use aftermarket parts, fix it yourself or buy another shotgun to pull parts off of.

I just discoverd my bolt carier has 2 cracks one on each side of the dimples holding holding the operating rod.

Are you using a quad rail? Are you over gassed? Tig weld that sucker back together and get rid of the silly rail! :)

Ya need a very competent welder...

If you search on this subject, you'll find that Pauly has in-depth instructions detailing the best method for welding cracks in bolt carriers.

Pauly is very highly regarded for knowing his stuff, doing great work and having good customer service... Thus he often has more work than he can handle.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

so you can't just go and buy a new carrier for an S-12?

Nope, none of the importers have decided to support what they sell with spare parts. You could make a killing if you could get Izhmash to sell you common replacement parts. For now, you have to use aftermarket parts, fix it yourself or buy another shotgun to pull parts off of.

Are you using a quad rail? Are you over gassed? Tig weld that sucker back together and get rid of the silly rail! smile.png

I am not useing a quad rail. but how would that make any differance. And I am not overgassed. I have 3 ports at 3/32. I have only mostly shot low brass and maby 10 3" mags ever on setting 1. maby 1000 rounds total thrugh the gun.

• 4 months later...

I welded it up tonight wi th a lot of advice and help from pauly. all looks good. hope it holds up. im waiting on a hd rod from css and auto plug from tack47 then testfire. asap used a stick welder and rod that pauly sent

• Like 1

I am currently testing something that will completely circumvent the need to weld these. It is extremely aggressive though. I have tested it with 3" Win 00 Buck on setting 2 (user error testing), just to see if I could break it and it is holding up fine (better than the factory carrier, lol!). Hulls are ejecting about 20-25' away and the recoil is insane! Pretty much, I want to do what an ignorant customer might do, so I can see the effects on the product and be able to identify a failure due to user error, if it is possible. My own need for this arose after R&R announced that they would be offering carriers at $200-220. I decided to see what happens when Remington 3" Express 00 Buck is fired on setting 2 in a SBS (another user error test). I wanted to see carrier, firing pin, recoil assembly, or rear block damage. There were no signs of damage at all after 20 or so rounds.... and then the factory carrier broke about 45 rounds into the testing. I'm thinking "no big deal, R&R is about to release their carriers...." Then I see the post where they are $280. Not that the product isn't worth that, but I'd sooner buy another complete S12 for parts than to pay that for just a carrier. Of course, some guys may not be willing to buy a complete S12 just to get a carrier and $280 will be fine with them to get a new carrier. Being 'play cash broke' at the moment and not being able to responsibly do either is what made me come up with this idea and it is working fine. It cost me about $11 in materials to fix the carrier (but a lot of time). I really don't want to discuss it in detail until I test it hard for a few thousand rounds and protect the product. It was in my SBS during the 100 round Win Uni/MD-20 dump video and the 8 round Win 3" 00 Buck video, so it does not effect reliability as long as there is weight removed from somewhere else on the carrier (I found this out after the first testing of the repair with Win Universal). Now that I am using the carrier as a test bed of sorts, I made a Titanium LH charging handle for it and cut the right side CH off (this was how I decided to offset the weight gain). I may be able to loose some of the extra weight without compromising the integrity of the repair, but it will take some serious thought.

Before anyone asks via PM. Please understand that I will not do this for anyone yet and I am not a business member here yet. If you need a carrier fixed, please solicit a business member like Cobra or Pauly, or buy a carrier from R&R. It will be at least after the presidential election before I make a decision on what I am doing regarding working on these weapons and offering products for them. If obama is re-elected, this product will likely never come to market and I will likely not pursue an 07 FFL. I have some incredible product ideas that I think my fellow S12 enthusiasts will really like, so get out there and vote!

Business is business and obama is the enemy of 'evl profit'.... which is what business is all about.

bad_egg.gif

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 2