Any good experiences with cheap ass scopes? >$60

When I was younger, I hunted deer with my dad and his friends. They all shot 30-30s, 30.06s. 270s, 308s, and a couple 7mms and 300win mags. That said, they are all hard kicking guns that should have destroyed the scopes on them by online standards. They mostly used simmons, tasco, cheap bushnells, barska and basically whatever they could find for 40 or 50 bucks in the mid to late 90s. No frills kind of hunters. We killed deer year after year after year. My dad had tascos and they all worked just fine on way harder kicking guns than my ak.

This said, who among you are successfully using a scope that others say should be sub standard chinese shit?? And what are you using??

Im not concerned with this scope being in combat or for any rough use really. If the shtf, Ill toss the scope and use irons anyways. So this is really a range tool and not much else.

Id just like to know if anyone has had any good luck with the cheapos and could reccomend any of them (ncstar, barska, tasco, leapers, simmons, low bushnell, ect.)

• Like 1

I've got a NcStar 2-7 variable that I used on my S12 for about 500rnds and it held zero. Think I gave just under $70 for it.

I've also got a (I think, no markings) NcStar 3-9 for my RPK that I'm yet to get to the range with. Got it for $25 at a gunshow. It'll do till I can afford something better like a PSOP.

i use cheap ass scopes on my .22s, i have a traditions brand chinese junk scope i got for like $20 on my walther g22 and it works great for a .22, for anything more powerful i'd stick with fixed power if your getting a cheap scope, but with anything bigger than rimfire i suggest nikons, a prostaff is a great scope for the money

I bought a Barska a couple of years ago, used it on several of my rifles, works pretty well. Retains zero, brings what you are shootin at up close, and hasn't fell apart yet. Bout the best review I can give on it.

The old 80's Tascos were actually pretty decent scopes. As time went on, their optical clarity went to shit. However, they tend to hold zero and adjust just fine.

For deer hunting and the like, the optical clarity really isn't all that important especially if you back it up with a nice pair of binoculars. When you're only looking through the glass for a few seconds at a time, poor clarity isn't a huge deal......but, if you're prairie dog shooting or something, where you are looking through the glass for 6 hours straight, bad optics will kill you. The eye strain will do your ass in.

Also, with the cheap variable power scopes, get more power than you plan to use, because the optics will really go to shit at the very top end of thier power range. If you run the scope at about 75% of full power, the optics are still usable.

Tony

• Like 1

UTG (Leapers marked) 3-9x32 with AO, no problems yet, it came off my Mosin and went onto the Siaga, if it survived the 7.62x54r it should be fine on the x39 I'm thinking. Also have a Barska 3-9x40 that's been on several and no complaints, I bought it new off Walmart.com for like $26 total.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Ive gotten nothing but dogshit answers in the past when it comes to cheaper scopes.

I was using an 'ultralux' 4x25 from someones sks. They sent it to me for shipping costs since they didnt need it, or thought it was a piece of crap. Either way, I had a pretty good experience with it. It worked very well until last week at the range, I dropped it on concrete and it hit hard. Cracked the lens, completely fucked. Well, it was only 5 bucks.

Thats a good point. You see the deer, pull up and shoot. There was never any real need to scan for hours though your scope, so I guess it didnt matter if our scopes were freakin awesome. There it is,, bang.

Its good to hear a couple guys who have had decent luck with leapers. There cheap enough and Im thinkin the 6x32 fixed would fit the bill nicely. I want something to get me closer in at 100 than my old 4 power, to really see if I can get better than the 3.5" brick wall Ive hit.

Anyone else with info, please chime on in.

I got a quick list from ebay, on a few different brands and prices, shipped.

These are all 3-9x32 or x40, and all are new, from what they say.

Tasco world class 50

Hawke sport hd 70

Pentax pioneerII 70

Kruger tacdriver kit 70

hi lux hunter 53

Alpen kodiak 65

Millett Buck silver 60

Are there any among these that would be much better than the other?? Its a damn shame that sooooo many things are made in china now. I can list seven scopes to put on my rifle and be pretty confident they are all made there.

Anyways, let me know.

Edited by Boomsick42

Well, I just rolled up a piece of paper 11inches long and placed it on top of my side mount. Worked in 2 or three inches eye relief and figured out It will never work. I need a compact scope thats around 2inches smaller. Now I know.

I will be trying out a leapers 6x32 probably. Theres just no way I can spend a couple hundred more dollars on a reputable compact scope.

Primary arms sells some decent cheap red dots

I have had your same experience as far as cheap scopes holding up well, they either failed right out of the gate, or lived longish lives. I've dropped, stepped on, smashed, etc too many spendy scopes to risk buying any more.

I had a cheap BSA on a barrett 99 that held up to about a hundred rounds of.50 BMG recoil after my buddy dropped the 28# rifle and it landed upside down on the $600 scope it originally wore, very effectively smashing it.

Currently I have an NCstar scout-scoped on a mosin hasn't broken yet, cost $50ish.

Goddamn, arboreal tree folk with a barrett 50, runnin a bsa??? holy shit. You would give those guys on 'optics talk' forum a fuckin stroke. Thats a good review of newer chinese manufacturing if Ive ever heard one. Its not too often that you hear barrett and bsa in the same sentence, but its cool to know someones doin it, and it works.

Theres something to be said about buying superb quality because you have to. But theres no reason to ditch the mortgage for a scope, preppin for a scenario that probably wont happen.

I shoot targets and 2liters filled with water at 100-200yds, theres no one shootin back and I hope it stays that way. If there were, I would blow my whole paycheck on a scope just for piece of mind.

Im glad to hear you guys have had good luck with those scopes. I hope mine treats me right. Theres alot of hate for chinese products and maybe for good reason. But theres no one else that makes something I can afford.

took the ncstar off my sons 22 and put it on his 7.62x39. after about 600rds, no problems, still zero. it is a ncstar sfr 3904r(3-9x40). it was less than $50 on fle-bay. probably get another for my wifes gun.

I knew I was selling the barrett in a month so I wasn't gonna put another fancy scope on it just to shoot at old cars.

Personally, I am unconvinced that more money means sturdier, short of shelling out the big bucks for the absolute top shelf ones.

Pretty much everything we use is made in a foreign country, possibly in a sweat shop, but for sure in low paying factories. Anything that is technical and affordable just cant be made in the us anymore.

So heres what im lookin at. Leapers 6x32 scope $35 and swift tactical rings$20. I figure if im gettin a cheapo scope I better get half decent rings. I also didnt want to get a variable since thats more things to screw up on a little chinese scope like this. Hopefully this works out.

post-31894-0-60833600-1333638332_thumb.jpg

post-31894-0-01722200-1333638347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boomsick42

Another thing, would you guys go with just the normal 6x32 modelhttp://www.opticspla...scp-632md1.html

or the one with the adjustable objectivehttp://www.opticspla...reen-illum.html

Im wondering if having the focus adjustment is worth the extra 20bucks. I could give a flyin shit about lit up recticles and sunshades.

Edited by Boomsick42

Take a look at the shotgun scopes. They are made to take slug recoil and have longer eye relief. I bought some 2x Simmons shotgun scopes years ago and they are holding up nicely. Been on 12 gauges, 308s and other AK cal.

The adjustable objective is ok if you a shooting at known distances. Unless you are shooting for groups I dont think you need it.

I've got a Clear-I(as in cheap Chicom scope) 4x32 I yanked off my 6.8 upper. I slapped it on my Kalinka mount, and it was almost dead on at 100 yards. I re-zeroed it for the AK, and got a 1" group at 100 yds from Winchester Super-X 125gr SP and a 1.5" group from Silver Bear 125gr SP. Wolf 154gr yielded a 2" group. Hoping to push it to 200 next trip(if the bolt hogs don't cram the lanes). I took it off the gun, threw it, dropped it, kicked it, and it seemed to hold up pretty well.

I also have a Millett 5MOA red dot. Got it for $50 from Bud's, and it's a solid RD for a Chinese optic.

An AO doesn't adjust the focus of the scope, it adjusts its parallax setting. I would not see it as hugely useful unless you're looking for sub-MOA groups.

Gotcha, just read up on what paralax actually is. I always thought it had something to do with focus.

So I just took apart my broken scope and noticed the wires that make the crosshairs. I would assume that a normal cheap scope would use wires.

But what about ones with the red or green crosshair feature?? Wouldnt these have to be etched glass to accept the light?? If so is etched glass a more desirable thing?? The wires seem pretty protected in there. Im just wondering which is better.

Edited by Boomsick42

My 10/22 came with a Tasco scope when I purchased it new. The scope functioned fine and worked well....right up untill around 300 rounds through it! The cross hairs broke, I didn't know that was possible at the time. You could see the seperation through the lens.

Since then I put a Barska Plinker on the rifle and has lasted well over 3000 rounds.

I also have a no name "rifle scope"(that is what was on the box) from Amazon, I used on a Mosin Nagant, that I used for 300 rounds, before removing it(not an issue with the scope).

One more rifle scope I use is a Redfield Widefield(you can't find these anymore) from the 70's on my Remington 700 shooting 7mm Rem Mag. Works great!

I do however use a POSP x4 on my Saiga, and it is great for my needs. I also use a Barska spotting scope that is 20-60 power, it also works well for my needs.

I have looked through much higher quality lenses....yes there is a difference....is it nessasary for plinking....well...my choice of glass has been otherwise.

One more rifle scope I use is a Redfield Widefield(you can't find these anymore) from the 70's on my Remington 700 shooting 7mm Rem Mag. Works great!

I do however use a POSP x4 on my Saiga, and it is great for my needs. I also use a Barska spotting scope that is 20-60 power, it also works well for my needs.

I've got an old Redfield Widefield (2-3/4x as I recall) on a .223 Saiga. Fun little rig to shoot with nice clear optics, very wide field & an eyepiece that looks like a TV screen. Hope it holds up. It failed on something else (muzzleloader, I believe) and I sent it in for repair. It sat around for years until I tried it on the Saiga.

Muzzleloaders seem to be hard on scopes, I've had a few fail and they weren't all cheap. Also had a Mini-30 that seemed to eat scopes. Never put a good one on it, but do recall that it wrecked a Simmons and (I think) a Bushnell...there may have been another as well. Always thought the bi-directional jarring of recoil acting rearward followed by a forward jolt when the action slams closed caused the damage, but never had problems with the Mini-14 or the Saigas...yet. Maybe the Mini-30 just needed a buffer.

Got a 4x POSP on another Saiga .223 and one on my .308 Saiga. They're best the solution if you can afford one. Heavy, rugged and optically simple. Of all my Saigas, only the .308 makes good use of a scope. With a scope and good reloads, that thing nips at the heels of my .308 bolt rifles for accuracy.

Scopes I've had NO problems with: Leupold, Weaver, Cabelas Pine Ridge.

• 3 years later...

big_smile.gif Before, I start my age is 56,                                                                                                                                                              This is my experience with SCOPES cheap or other wise, I own several center fire rifles. Also a number of spring-piston air-rifles European, Asian, and American made in a range of different cost an calibers, I can tell you that these types of air-rifles will EAT a scope, After putting a high dollar German made hunting scope one of the better made scopes? On one of my air-rifles for squirrel hunting this scope was a Christmas gift knowing what a spring-piston air rifle can do to a scope. German air rifle & German scope what could go wrong well everything. The scope cost around $600.00 it was replaced by the manufacturer life time warranty. I learned a lesson that scopes made for air-rifles cheap or other wise are a better choice if you don't have a lot of money to spend but want a good scope. I have used all different brands, Tasco, Barska, Ultralux, Bushnell, Simmons, NcStar to many to list but my personal choice is the older Tasco scopes.    It doesn't matter who makes the scope if its made for an air-rifle its worth the money.            

• 2 weeks later...

I have a variable UTG rubber coated scope on my x39 Saiga. I also put a strip or two of dynamat on the side scope mount and so far for the range at 100yds seems to be ok. Nothing special, but does the job for recreational shooting.