Need help with choke for Saiga 12!!

With Turkey season approaching quickly, I am in search for a choke for my 19" Saiga 12. I am looking for a full choke that will allow me to take a turkey up to 40 yards if needed. It seems as if there are serveral choices. I have never purchased a choke before and am not fully educated in terms of chokes so bear with me here!!

The most obvious one is the Polychoke II. After using the search function, I have found that many people opt for a saiga slotted choke tube adapter over the Polychoke. I was unable to find the reason why so maybe one of you guys can enlighten me.

I did find a Saiga Slotted Choke Tube Adapter at AKBuilder.com. Would that be a better choice for me that way I could utilize a winchoke? Again, not sure why a winchoke would be better than the Polychoke II which is why I am asking the experts.

Thanks again for your help!!

Matt

http://forum.saiga-1...choke-adapters/

The adapters are better than the poly choke because you can get a tighter pattern, and also use extended extra full, turkey chokes, and rifled slug chokes.

• Like 1

I bought and currently use a polychoke II. I have zero complaints. Easy to adjust, easy to clean. Has a nice looking flash suppresser also. And yes my Saiga has a bipod/forgrip don't give me shit. I use it to keep the gun out of the dirt for coyote hunts.

post-40736-0-31972500-1333563214_thumb.jpg

I love my AK Builder/Cobra choke adapter. IMO it is more versatile than polychoke, as chokes are available in a wide variety of constrictions, length and geometry. Traditional Parallel > constriction> Parallel > muzzle chokes have consistently patterned better when scientifically tested than Parallel > constriction> muzzle chokes such as the polychoke. also the collet fingers in some polychokes have not constricted evenly resulting in lopsided patterns.

I think polychokes are better than nothing, but screw-in chokes offer potentially better performance, and choices like compensated extra turkey, and rifled sabot (paradox).

The clearly superior option is to have your barrel internally threaded and save some weight and length. You can then slip fit and pin a muzzle break and still have good choice of chokes.

• Like 4

Here boys... is a red neck after my own heart who took the time to do the research that sold me...

http://www.youtube.c...G111lu67/videos

He's also a member of this forum and won a contest for this contribution to us here. I voted for him myself BTW.

I have also talked with him and he would like to do another similar test using one of our adapters. I will be sending him one so he can do this if he likes. I have done my own testing and own two different poly chokes. My results have been the same as others who have actually tried both.

As said above, internal choke tubes are absolutely superior to the more convenient poly.

Slotted "flash hiders" may make it look cool, but they don't work on shotguns like they do with rifles. They are only for looks. YMMNV

Every single person is out of the SGM chokes. Right now I am in between the polychoke and the adapter. I do have to admit that the poly choke with the shark type break looks a wee bit cool. But then again, most of you are saying that I will get a much tighter and reliable pattern from the adapter.

With the adatper you can get so many more chokes options, any thing that will fit a Winchester, Mosberg, Browning invector(not plus).

Ebay is full of chokes for sale.

I have the adatper from Corba and a rifled choke, and 3 others.

I did thread some of my chokes to allow me to use my Molot brake.

I hear what your saying about having a better selection, and tighter groups, but I for one do not want to pack around a bag of chokes. This is shotgun... 50 yds. good enough. An inch or 4 inches, so long as some get in there. I'm all about poly choke.

I hear what your saying about having a better selection, and tighter groups, but I for one do not want to pack around a bag of chokes. This is shotgun... 50 yds. good enough. An inch or 4 inches, so long as some get in there. I'm all about poly choke.

With a coyote coke tube you can go out to 70-80 yards with t and buckshot. Only one choke is needed for what you are hunting.You do not need to carry all of your chokes with you when you hunt.

The polychoke works but it is nowhere close to choke tubes.

• Like 1

With a coyote coke tube you can go out to 70-80 yards with t and buckshot. Only one choke is needed for what you are hunting.You do not need to carry all of your chokes with you when you hunt.

The polychoke works but it is nowhere close to choke tubes.

LOL! Now you've done it! I'm going out this weekend with buck shot and a rangefinder! I would venture to guess that the Polychoke is close. I will report back on my findings.

OK boys I'm back with results. I set up a Turkey target at 75 yds. You will note the excellent target graphics by my 4 year old nephew, who I might add was very interested in this experiment for some reason. The target was a 8X11 paper. I figured 8X11 was close enought to represent the body of a small chicken or rabbit. The load I used was #4 Turkey. The results... the Turkey is dead with 8 holes.

The Polychoke is good enough. Are there other chokes out there that could tighten a pattern? Absolutely! But, I don't have to pick and choose. I don't have to screw on and off. And I don't get pissed for forgetting the one I need at home. That's why I use it. And the flash hider is way sexy, though as Cobra points out, it is worthless in its functionality.

post-40736-0-12715400-1333858544_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fetchin Fetcher

I am making targets like that! Best idea ever.

I used to sharpies extra cute drawings of bunnies and squirrels onto targets for the girls to shoot at when I was in high school. They were often more callous about it than the high school boys.

this one looks pretty cool. No clue about function, but it looks cool. http://www.ebay. com/itm/162x-TruGlo-BONE-COLLECTOR-SMACKDOWN-CHOKE-TUBE-Winchester-12-ga-/140730928564?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c4378db4#ht_1847wt_1139

Edit- the stupid "unlink" function gets overridden as soon as you click

Edited by GunFun

I have a polychoke I've tried on a couple of different settings, but to be honest with you I'm not sure I'm setting it right. Do you tighten the poly choke as far as you can and then back off to the setting you want? I notice that I feel the notches when I rotate thru two or three 360 degree revolutions so I'm not sure which is correct.

No!

Step 1) turn the adjustment all the way out to expand the polychoke collet fully.

Step 2) Insert a slug shell into the end.

Step 3) tighten the poly choke down onto the slug.

Step 4) fire another cartridge into the slug. If it fully ejects you have the right setting --This way you will achieve a safe clearance for use with any slug.

Safety first!.

• 2 months later...

I wish I would of seen this post a few months ago that ak-builder sells the exact same winchoke adaptors and full choke in stock. I would not have to prepay and been waiting 45 days from the other guy. Now I don't feel bad not getting the parts and a refund instead. Ak-builder had 174 adaptors in stock when I ordered. Only $3.95 shipping the total was $14 cheaper.