Wrong gas setting for Magnum shells

25 rounds for 3 inch magnum shells were fired from my shotgun on setting number six with the DPH Gas Plug. I lent it to a friend of mine. The dust cover finally came off and he stopped shooting. Yes I know I shouldnt have lent it to him but Im concerned how much damage was done and where should I look to determine. Please be gentile and I would throw this guy a beating as it is. Im here because so much of you have much more experience than I. Please let me know.

The dust cover will not fit properly now. Theres about an 1/8 inch give in the rear. My concern will this thing stay on with the proper gas settings. I read on here that you could bend the read portion of the dust cover to make up for this but thats a lot of bending. Are they any other options for securing the dust cover properly?

Look at the rear trunion and rear trunion rivits/holes. You may see imprint marks where the bolt tail/carrier hit the trunion. If so, also look at the contact point on the bolt/carrier. Also look for deformation of the rear trunion rivits or egging of the rear trunion rivit holes. In any case, it's most likely not terminal. The rear trunion can be removed and reinstalled with new rivits, or possibly driven foreword and resqueeze the original rivits to fill the egged holes. If the covers still slightly loose it can be bent at the rear, or you can band it like a Galil cover and re-fit. Pics always help.

The right side, facing towards the front of the gun, the trunion was back slightly. The rivet also on the right side out slightly. I hammered it back and hammered, gently, the right side of the trunion. The dust cover not fitting was my primary concern. I can still see the divot on the front the dust cover but it feels tighter. Im confident the reason the dust cover came loose is because of the all the energy of the bolt and carrier. Im going to try and shoot it again on the proper settings with 2 3/4 low recoil 00 buck. Should the divot on the front of the dust cover be showing is my question. I tried uploading pics but the site vapor locked on me three times.

The right side, facing towards the front of the gun, the trunion was back slightly. The rivet also on the right side out slightly. I hammered it back and hammered, gently, the right side of the trunion. The dust cover not fitting was my primary concern. I can still see the divot on the front the dust cover but it feels tighter. Im confident the reason the dust cover came loose is because of the all the energy of the bolt and carrier. Im going to try and shoot it again on the proper settings with 2 3/4 low recoil 00 buck. Should the divot on the front of the dust cover be showing is my question. I tried uploading pics but the site vapor locked on me three times.

FYI.......All guns have a right side, left side, top, bottom, muzzle, butt, and grip no matter the orientation of the gun. Those things don't change, so there's never any confusion.

I spoke with Gunfixer today and I feel confident that the dust cover will stay on at this point. I dont think any significant damage was done to the gun, No one else will be shooting it going forward unless I personally set the gas settings. Thanks for the help fellas.

If you had an autoplug that wouldnt have happened...

I was under the impression that the auto plug wasn't supposed to be used with magnum loads...

I believe the only reason why they say this is because they can't guarantee that the plug will vent enough gasses to keep the weapon from damaging itself. I've ran magnum slugs through mine with the autoplug equipped, haven't seen any signs of damage yet...

I was under the impression that the auto plug wasn't supposed to be used with magnum loads...

I believe the only reason why they say this is because they can't guarantee that the plug will vent enough gasses to keep the weapon from damaging itself. I've ran magnum slugs through mine with the autoplug equipped, haven't seen any signs of damage yet...

Im gonna see how the DPH plug does but Im interested in the autoplug. Those are the last of the magnum shells I ever planning on shooting.

If you don't care about the autoplug's (unneccessary) warranty, then turn it upside down. it is like the "off" setting on gunfixer's plug and the knock-offs. Mine will run most 3" shells fine that way and drop the shells a couple of feet to the side.