high capacity mags?

Im guessing US made steel mags are going to be quite a while still...The setup cost for manufacturing mags is high and the number of Akdals to support it isnt really there yet. My guess is that it will be 2013 before we see any US manufactured 10, or higher, capacity magazines and even then, they're not going to be $20...

Higher capacity is reportedly working on modifying a 20 round Saiga drum for the Akdal, but I'm guessing that the price of that will be the same, or higher, than Jim's extensions.

Edited by gose

Im guessing US made steel mags are going to be quite a while still...The setup cost for manufacturing mags is high and the number of Akdals to support it isnt really there yet. My guess is that it will be 2013 before we see any US manufactured 10, or higher, capacity magazines and even then, they're not going to be $20...

Higher capacity is reportedly working on modifying a 20 round Saiga drum for the Akdal, but I'm guessing that the price of that will be the same, or higher, than Jim's extensions.

There is a good chance the Zombie Apocalypse will occur before 2013. Whoever can come up with $70 high cap mags probably couldn't keep up with the demand.

The plastic/polymer would be too thick to fit the magwell. If you take a shot shell and hold it right inside the magwell opening, you'll see that steel is most likely the only material thin enough that also has enough strength.

Edited by PYRO
  • Like 1

The plastic/polymer would be too thick to fit the magwell. If you take a shot shell and hold it right inside the magwell opening, you'll see that steel is most likely the only material thin enough that also has enough strength.

thats going to hold this design back. most of your big mag companies use polymer. maybe csspecs will make some.

• Like 2

It doesn't use your magazine (MKA are not clip feed), it uses and includes a 2 round hunting magazine to fit the mag well with an 8 round aluminum mag body extension connected to it, for 10 rounds total.

• Like 1

I'm making my own steel 10-12 rd mags thanks. Already had one made for months now. As soon as I can get this stubborn bitch to run right I'll be able to do more testing. rolleyes.gif

if they become a reasonably priced reality, i may change my mind on the 1919.

• Like 1

I also made few using two 5 round mags, getting the lower mag at the correct angle to the upper seems to be the key. Lining up the radius of both mags doesn't work as the stack binds up as the rounds in the lower mag feed into the upper mag. When I do get the mags at close to the correct angle to each other, they work about 99% but look funny due to miss-matched radius.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have 5, 10, 15, and 18 round magazines (see pictures below), but I'd like a 20-40 round drum magazine. Anyone know of drum mags being made for the MKA1919?

you did a good job of modifying a SAIGA mag for the MKA, it isn't that big of a leap to do the same thing to a 20 round SAIGA drum, by taking off the existing feedtower cutting down a 5 round MKA mag and putting that onto the drum body .

the way I would do that, is the way BETA CO. did to make a 9mm feedtower for their 100 round GLOCK drum, they tool a 33 round mag and put a "sleeve" around the base of it, that attaches to the drum body.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins