Got my Russian front sight today from eGay.

http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_500wt_1287

Took a few snaps to share.

It lines up with the stock bead and exactly doubles the sight radius. The post is slightly wider than the stock bead as viewed from the shooting position. I'll have to try it out in various lighting conditions to see if I need to remove the stock bead.

gallery_4831_927_46193.jpg

gallery_4831_927_168667.jpg

gallery_4831_927_282649.jpg

gallery_4831_927_30155.jpg

gallery_4831_927_85492.jpg

gallery_4831_927_136403.jpg

Edited by XD45
  • 4 months later...

Looks like it welded together out of cast iron

You mean "cast"??

People only weld on cast iron as a repair, and that seldom works well.

that looks cast. i.e. mold the part, clean up flues and sprues with a belt sander, and mill or drill any clearances than need to be true. A tool maker makes drill jigs to hold every thing in the right place then unskilled people slap the part in the jigs do drill out the holes. 1 vertical for the post, one horizontal for the barrel another for the cross bar the post screws into, and a couple drilled and tapped holes for bolts. The slit on the bottom is probably done with a bandsaw.

I believe they also stock these in the saiga12.com e-store

• 1 month later...

Even though I recently got front sight posts on both of mine, I ended up leaving on the factory beads for now. As I see it they offer a couple of benefits besides the ability to revert.

1) They help you get your new site lined up, and give you more visual reference if your eye is out of line or your sight gets knocked out of alignment.

2) The old bead give a visible step in my sight post giving me two simultaneus elevation references, and an easy way to calculate slug drop. This could be tuned by filing down the bead. Alternatively, others have put notches or a shoulder onto the front sight post and eliminated the factory bead for similar function.

Ya, I know what you are talking about. I have seen some of the nicer trap guns with smaller beads along the vent rib before the front bead to help keep things in line. I have filed my bead down a bit. Damn thing is a whooping 4 inches low at 25yds though. be nice it I could just raise the rear sight. /facepalm I should be lookin' for a taller rear dovetail blade or peep...Or get the Krebs and be done with it. I did toss on a red dot but insist on good irons as well.