I'm thinking about getting a 7.62x39 rifle. I'm weighing the pros and cons of a Saiga 7.62x39 vs a SKS. As much as I want to love the AK47 I have never picked on up that fit me or felt natural. I own a s410 and LOVE IT. I did a temorary tapco conversion on it, I liked it, but I wanted to shoot it at the local skeet range so I had to convert it back to a sporting configuration (Stupid Rules!!!!! but that's a different subject) I like the sporting configuration too though. If I get a Saiga I'll likely leave it with the sporting stock and just use 10 round mags. I'm basicly just going to be plinking with it. All that said, what are you guys' oppinions on a Saiga vs a SKS?

If you want a 7.62, I'd get the Saiga over SKS.

Reason being Saiga is new, chrome lined barrel and if newer build, doesn't have canted sights and will be more accurate.

Plus Saiga is made in Russia, vs a 30-40 year old SKS.

Far as keeping it sporting stock...if thats what you want, I'd get a 308 wooden buttstock with a recoil pad + cheek weld built in.

I hear you on the 10 round mags...I did the bullet guide and own 30 rounds mags but at the range, I find myself using the 10 round mags more.

edit:

Oh look I found a pic when I had it on my saiga...ignore the quad-rail I was just test fitting before I did a conversion.

post-10769-0-21622600-1333772362_thumb.jpg

Edited by cpltk2
  • Like 1

I had a DP marked SKS and a Factory 26 SKS. The DP was way more accurate than the 26, but my Saiga blew both of them out of the water. I could only push them out to about 150 yards before the groups went to hell. My Saiga will tap the 200 yard mark if I do my part. I sold both of my SKS rifles and bought ammo/mags for my Saiga.

Both SKSs had chromed barrels(all Chicom models do), were built like tanks, and ate whatever they were fed. The sound was all it's own out the muzzle, and I made more than one Nam vet jump at the range when I fired it(one actually dived under the bench). They described it as, "a demoralizing boom rather than a rifle crack". I do wish I'd kept the DP as a fallback, though.

No eastbloc-equipped military in the world uses SKSs if they have a choice. They use AKs, (AKMs, 74s, or '100 series). That alone should answer your question. wink.png

The SKS is entirely obsolete. If they weren't available at (relatively) cheap surplus prices, no one would buy them for anything but collection purposes.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Non converted saiga is apprx equal to sks in my opinion. Positives with sks is you don't have to buy magazines and it is still a very reliable platform. Positives with saiga are brand new chrome lined barrel.

Now of you restore a saiga there is absolutely no competition.

Why don't you want to convert the rifle? Sporter configuration is not the way the rifles were intended and everyone left that way is abomination. Buy a saiga, convert it(not stupid tapco t6). And you have a better rifle than most

Edited by hutchsaiga

How many shots does it take to wear out a chrome lined bore?

I've inspected the bore on many an SKS, and they all looked just as new and pristine as a NIB Saiga. The exception would be a Yugo. They are not chrome line, and have, most likely, actually been to war using corrosive ammo followed by poor cleaning or no cleaning at all.

An SKS should be about as acurate as a Saiga. Maybe the Saiga would get the edge, but not by a landslide; and, there are probably more variances from SKS to SKS than the Saiga. An inaccurate SKS is most likely due to a horrible trigger. The TG is the weak point in the design. It is overly complicated, and probably assembled hastily since they were mass produced. The sear should definitely have some TLC applied for optimum performance. A trigger job can make the pull shorter, less gritty, much lighter, and much more accurate.

I love my AK's, but the ergonomics of an SKS are superior to a pistol gripped AK IMO. If charging head first into battle, I would obviously choose an AK. For everything else, an SKS reigns supreme. AK's definitely have the cool factor over an SKS though.

If you are'nt going to do the conversion and get hi-cap mags, then I don't see any reason to get one over an SKS.

• Like 1

...I love my AK's, but the ergonomics of an SKS are superior to a pistol gripped AK IMO...

Uh, no. A pistol grip makes the AK both more versatile and more comfortable to use than the traditional furniture on a SKS. The greater comfort is subjective, of course, (the greater versatility is not), but I think most agree with me.

...If you are'nt going to do the conversion and get hi-cap mags, then I don't see any reason to get one over an SKS.

Most see the light and eventually "convert", even if they don't think they will initially. It's just good sense.

I have both. And the only non chrome lined sks that I know of if is the Yugo sks, the rest should be chrome lined. No the sks is not as modular as the Saiga's once converted or have the 30 round mag capacity, but the 10 round stripper clips are easy and fast to load, and are very compact. I can load up 480 rounds easy in some surplus grenade poches. And while Ak mags are not to pricy your going to spend $10+ on surplus steel mags and $100 bill will get you 300 rounds to carry vs 10-20 cents a stripper clip and less wieght. Don't discount the sks, while I love my Saiga, it's fun at the range and very accurate and has a pistol grip, not having a 30 round mag sticking out can be a problem in heavy brush and crawling on the ground, things the sks does not have to worry about. I have both and both my norinco and Saiga are equally accurate with irons, but I have a detachable scope on the saiga. But my sks role is a back up in a SHTF role as it shares the same ammo as the saiga, and uses compact strippers clips, and a more streamlined for brush and prone shooting and crawling. With both guns being semi-auto I don't see 10 rounds being a major issue most of the time, and would have time to reload between burst. My 2cents.

• Like 1

How many shots does it take to wear out a chrome lined bore?

I've inspected the bore on many an SKS, and they all looked just as new and pristine as a NIB Saiga. The exception would be a Yugo. They are not chrome line, and have, most likely, actually been to war using corrosive ammo followed by poor cleaning or no cleaning at all.

An SKS should be about as acurate as a Saiga. Maybe the Saiga would get the edge, but not by a landslide; and, there are probably more variances from SKS to SKS than the Saiga. An inaccurate SKS is most likely due to a horrible trigger. The TG is the weak point in the design. It is overly complicated, and probably assembled hastily since they were mass produced. The sear should definitely have some TLC applied for optimum performance. A trigger job can make the pull shorter, less gritty, much lighter, and much more accurate.

I love my AK's, but the ergonomics of an SKS are superior to a pistol gripped AK IMO. If charging head first into battle, I would obviously choose an AK. For everything else, an SKS reigns supreme. AK's definitely have the cool factor over an SKS though.

If you are'nt going to do the conversion and get hi-cap mags, then I don't see any reason to get one over an SKS.

With the saiga, you have easily detachable mags with or without the conversion.

• Like 1

If "heavy brush" makes it necessary, you can use 20, 10, or 5 rnd mags in an AK, though accomodating standard 30 rnd mags isn't usually a problem in actual practice, (Vietnam had some pretty heavy brush). Mil-spec 75 and 100 rnd drum mags are also an option. Not so much for the more primitive SKS.

draftpick's above post is one of the only times I've ever seen someone try to claim that the AK's mag/feeding system is inferior to the SKS's... which is ridiculous.

Which model replaced which, again? rolleyes.gif

Non converted saiga is apprx equal to sks in my opinion. Positives with sks is you don't have to buy magazines and it is still a very reliable platform. Positives with saiga are brand new chrome lined barrel.

Now of you restore a saiga there is absolutely no competition.

Why don't you want to convert the rifle? Sporter configuration is not the way the rifles were intended and everyone left that way is abomination. Buy a saiga, convert it(not stupid tapco t6). And you have a better rifle than most

I have never sholdered a converted saiga rifle, if it is similar to the shotguns I would probably find it comfortable, but I have not liked any of the AK's I've handled at gun shows.

The tapco T6 is cheesey, I just did it temporarily go shoot it with high cap mags and to make sure it properly functioned before I did a real deal conversion, but then I changed my mind and went back to sporting config for the reasons stated in the OP.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the replies and discussion. I didn't intend for the thread to be a debate over which was superior, I just wanted to see if their were any pros or cons I was overlooking. I think I prefer the stripper clip setup to detachable magazines, but I like the AK operation and the fact it is new and not milsurplus.

So I guess I want a brand new SKS or a saiga that uses stripper clips : )

I like the cheapness and compactness of the stripper clips over the mags (keep in mind I'm only going to be using 10 rounders anyway)

I'm not going to be trying to put the most rounds downrange in the shortest ammount of time, I'm just going to be shooting for fun on a budget.

Thanks again fellas

An SKS weighs about 8.8 lbs, and a Saiga weighs about 7 lbs.

8.8 lbs is a bit excessive for a naked 7.62 x 39 rifle, IMO.

ETA - the paratrooper SKS that takes AK mags does have a quirky appeal to me. But I still think the AK is the more practical choice.

Edited by Dudethebagman
  • Like 3

...I love my AK's, but the ergonomics of an SKS are superior to a pistol gripped AK IMO...

Uh, no. A pistol grip makes the AK both more versatile and more comfortable to use than the traditional furniture on a SKS. The greater comfort is subjective, of course, (the greater versatility is not), but I think most agree with me.

Uh, yes. You tell me my opinion is wrong, and then admit your's is subjective......uh, ok.

I never questioned versatility, merely ergonomics, but I'm not a soldier either. I also don't believe in zombies, AND shtf will involve people either holed up in their homes peeking out the window, or waiting in line for rations....not guerilla warfare.

If sticking to 10 rounders, detatchable mags are not superior to stripper clips. It's not like you have to load them one at a time.

For what I use my rifles for, plinking and hunting, the SKS is a better choice. If you're charging head first into battle in the morning, get the AK. You'll probably eventually get both anyway.

In my opinion, one needs both. I have two SKS's in para configuration and I find them to be quite handy. I like the feel and look of the SKS shorties.

I agree with this. Unless you have a collectible SKS, cutting it down to 16.5" makes it much better. Tech sights and a skinny front post, or even better, a cross hair front post are an excellent upgrade. If you think you need anything else beyond these minor adjustments, the AK is for you.

Also agree ^ I've got both, and love both. They're absolute tanks and will serve you well. I'm a little bit better with the SKS just cause I've had a lot more practice with it, but I prefer my Saiga because the length is more comfortable to me...that and it's an AK :) I've got a Yugo SKS, but I've been searching all over the place in my area for one of those paratroopers... waaaaant!

I tried to go the whole Tapco 20rd mag route with my Yugo, but having that mag in was... different... it didn't feel as smooth when it fired, and I had some minor feeding issues here and there, so I went back to the regular 10rd and stuck with it. The nice thing about the Saiga would be that, if for some reason later on if you felt like converting it and what not, you could. AKs are much better suited for high cap mags, so that gives you a little bit of room to change your mind about it's configuration while keeping the same level of reliability, whereas IMHO an SKS is amazingly reliable as long as it's in it's original configuration. So... if you can, get both! They each have their strengths, and are both great rifles.

• Like 1

Most of the SKS's I see on the open market and gunshops at least in NY are non-chrome lined Yugos.

Norinco's and Russians prices are THROUGH the roof in NY.

If I wanted a "sporterized" plinker, I'd get a 308 and convert it into a fake dragunov :-)

Uh, yes. You tell me my opinion is wrong, and then admit your's is subjective......uh, ok.

I never questioned versatility, merely ergonomics, but I'm not a soldier either. I also don't believe in zombies, AND shtf will involve people either holed up in their homes peeking out the window, or waiting in line for rations....not guerilla warfare.

If sticking to 10 rounders, detatchable mags are not superior to stripper clips. It's not like you have to load them one at a time.

For what I use my rifles for, plinking and hunting, the SKS is a better choice. If you're charging head first into battle in the morning, get the AK. You'll probably eventually get both anyway.

Uh, my phraseology was admittedly off a bit, there. Posting while inebriated rarely turns out well. biggrin.png

Imo, the only vaguely compelling argument in favor of the SKS is cost... and the strengh of that argument depends on when you buy. E.g. I've a few SGL21s I bought for ~$505 apiece in '09. wink.png

• Like 1

Most see the light and eventually "convert", even if they don't think they will initially. It's just good sense.

UM....I am one of those Converts! I strongly held on to the idea that a Saiga rifle was fine in sporter configuration. Even after all the folks telling me to "restore the rifle", on this forum! The problem was I was asked to shoot anothers restored Saiga at my range....then it was on! I was no longer happy with the "as imported" configuration! The trigger is so much better and the balance of the rifle feels less front heavy.

If you do not wish to restore, may I sugest you NEVER shoot a restored rifle......or else you MAY change your mind!

• Like 1

Iv had a few SKS rifles, and the AK platform, for me, blows it out of the water. You have many more options with the AK platform over the SKS platform.

You do have more options that you can put on an AK over an SKS. But what options are you going to put on that are really useful and not just tacticool? A light? A grip? A laser? Unless your planning on clearing rooms and had proper training, tacticool options, not useful? Have you ever lugged around a couple hundred rounds of ammo and gear? It gets heavy and could be bulky, SKS on strippers is a lot lighter and more compact than 30 round mags. Have you tried shooting an AK, prone with a 30 round mag? I think they both have there place and you should know the strenghts and weakness of each and how to apply them with training if necessary.

• Like 1

Get both. Really debated this topic too and ended up with a Saiga that was a comparable cost to an SKS in the beginning but allowed me to convert as I got money, but one day I was in the gun shop and saw a beautiful Russian SKS and just had to have it, walked out that day with a rifle that I love, but honestly doesn't get shot as much as the converted Saiga.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember when you could get an SKS for about $125. Guys were buying them and burrying them in PVC containers in their back yard for SHTF. If that's your plan, sure the SKS isn't bad. Otherwise I'd get the Saiga.