Sharing my enthusiasm...

It's a small thing, but I'm expecting my first batch of 10 pre-ban, steel, 30 round mags. It was a tough decision, but I decided to modify the weapon to fit the mag.

I'm guessing the method of modifying the mag catch is easy peasy. Just grind and file slow and a little at a time until click-city is achieved?

I'm more nervous about this than the BG and conversion.

I used a cut-off wheel on my Dremel and took it slow and easy. On mine, I could see on the sides of the latch where there was almost like a step at the front that didnt follow the lines of the sides of the latch, so I slowly ground that off until it matched and it works great. I worked and got the front of the latch to start up the ramp on the mag, then just very gradually took a little bit off and kept trying it, until it finally clicked. Then I made sure it was smooth, and wiped a little bit of Remoil on it for rust prevention.

I think the BG was the part I was worried about most, but taking care tapping it is about the only really difficult part and wasn't that bad, I wouldn't hesitate at all to do it on someone elses rifle having done it once.

Edited by mogunner

Although I have access to a dremel. I decided to use a hand file on mine. To get it tight.

Which was kind of a worthless becuase I filed to fit a tapco I had and now my 35+ comblock steel

Mags all wobble front to back a tiny bit. But I've got 3000rnds plus through the rifle with never a single problem.

I used a thin Dremel grinding wheel that was about 1/2 the diameter of when it was origional size on the last three I did. The first one I did, the wheel diameter seemed a fuzz big, because I slightly cut into the housing, which wasn't a problem, because I filed it smooth after some work and painted it. The ground downed disks with a steady hand worked better for me without nicking the mag release ends.

Although I have access to a dremel. I decided to use a hand file on mine. To get it tight.

Which was kind of a worthless becuase I filed to fit a tapco I had and now my 35+ comblock steel

Mags all wobble front to back a tiny bit. But I've got 3000rnds plus through the rifle with never a single problem.

I had the same kind of wobble. I took too much off my catch during fitting the first time. I bit the bullet and completely replaced the mag catch. It was a marathon of pain, but I got it done. I think it took like 7 hours on my day off, to take the old out, put the new in, then fit to my standard ish steel mags. But now no front to back wobble.

I filed my mag catch down way to much the other day. The AK mags fit well but wobble a little, plan is to just buy a standard AK mag catch and replace it.

If you need any help at all, just ask.

I filed my mag catch down way to much the other day. The AK mags fit well but wobble a little, plan is to just buy a standard AK mag catch and replace it.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=42683/Product/AK-47-74-MAGAZINE-CATCH

I was planning on just picking this up and installing it. I don't see how it take more than an hour.

http://www.brownells...-MAGAZINE-CATCH

I was planning on just picking this up and installing it. I don't see how it take more than an hour.

keep tellin yourself that. Thats the same one I have, and its not to size for the saiga. You will have to grind and fit on top of installing which is a bitch itself. you better get a new pin too.

Its doable, just give yourself time, at least a couple hours total. I got to know this little aftermarket mag catch pretty well though the ordeal of putting it in. Its not the same as saiga catch at all. Its longer over all and the little 'stop' on the back isnt cut to fit the saiga either. You will need to modify all of this in order to get it to work. You will also need to keep the right angle at the top of the catch as you dremel, file and fit to your mags. Thats why mine took so long, because pretty much everything on this little piece of steel was too big, But its very possible to get right. It just takes some time and testing and retesting and retesting.

When you are about install yours, please PM me and ill help you give you a couple tips that I wish I would have known before I started.

Mags came in... I filed the catch gently with small increments and am happy with results. My Saiga 5 rnd fits like a glove as do the AK mags. I used a long burr cutter then a mineral grinding cone and a hand file then a wire wheel to deburr and "polish."

If you stick with the stock Saiga mag catch assembly then definitely hand file. The amount of material that needs to be removed is very small. Should only take 5-10min even with those very small hobby files.

Boomstick did you replace just the lever or the entire assembly?

Riveting on a standard AK mag catch assembly with trigger guard is easy with the right jig.

Now getting the stock Saiga mag catch assembly rivets out... Thats a whole other matter. Hate doing that.

Edited by jamesavery22

No just the lever, spring, and pin. Definately not as difficult as doing the whole assembly. Still, with that particular catch, it took alot of grinding and fitting of the catch lip and the 'stop' leg in the rear. It was very far from the factory specs. I had to grind, put back in (no spring of course) many times until I got the right fit. Then just getting the catch and spring in with the pin through was a bitch.. That took a while too. It was my first time doing it, so it was trial and error. Bending the edges of the pin was easy, I just gave a hard whack or two with a rounded masonry point and three pound hammer, perfect.

But there were no second chances. If I screwed up the fitting, hours of tedious work where thoroughly fucked.

It took me over four hours. But it came out great, and Im glad I took the time,

Edited by Boomsick42