Gun scrubber Solvent ok to use on saiga 12?

Hello everyone. Let me start off by saying that I like to give my saiga a very detailed cleaning after every shooting session. When I'm done cleaning, I usually wipe all the parts completely dry. I don't like to leave any oil in there in case it accumulates any dirt until the next time I shoot. I only lubricate my saiga prior to shooting.

My question is regarding a gun scrubber (solvent/degreaser) that's called Birchwood Casey gun scrubber. This solvent is pretty cool as far as the cleaning goes. Doesn't take much of it to clean the sh* out of gun internals. And because of its formula, it air dries in seconds. Actually, it dries so quickly that you can barely manage to do any brushing with it. To be honest, you don't have to do any brushing with it..

So, I clean my saiga with this scrubber solvent and leave it dry for like weeks. I only lubricate when I go shooting.

As far as I noticed, this solvent doesn't seem to attack the paint or plastic of the gun.

Would the drying effect of the solvent do any long term damage to gun internals? After using this solvent, I noticed that some small parts such as trigger spring etc. acquired a different whitish (dry-like) color. Or do you think I'm crazy? :) what do you think?

Edited by anarhummatov

I've been using Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber for the past couple years on all of my guns, including my Saigas, with no bad issues whatsoever. I'm not so sure about leaving the guns oil free for an extended period of time though, but Saigas are AKs, so it's probably not gonna hurt it at all.

Gun parts and most mechanical things made of metal need oil or some form of lubrication to reduce friction and also prevent rust. So when they get dirty from use, a degreaser like Gun Scrubber is an easy way to clear all of that out, but then you do need to add the lubrication back in, usually right away.

Metal needs to be protected from moisture and humidity. It's pretty important. It's better to leave a light coat of a good quality gun oil on all metal surfaces, including the bore.

This stuff might be good for you. Seems to protect the metal without being a dirt magnet. I'll be getting some for myself.

Militec-1 (google it)

Was going to post a link but I don't think that is allowed for non supporting vendors.

Edited by romad7

Definitely leave a light coating of oil or rust protector. I have always stored my guns in a cool, dry place and treated with Eezox, which drys to a protective coating that doesn't gather dust. The only metal item I didn't treat was my Tapco AK sight adjustment tool, which actually got surface rust after only a few months. One treating of eezox and this hasn't happened since. I would HIGHLY recommend this CLP, especially if you want a dry finish. It has worked awesome on all my Glocks and Saigas.

This stuff might be good for you. Seems to protect the metal without being a dirt magnet. I'll be getting some for myself.

Militec-1 (google it)

Was going to post a link but I don't think that is allowed for non supporting vendors.

I use this stuff on everything with no issues and it treats the metal so it has lubricity even when dry, however I saw a vendor demo this weekend for Frog Lube and they treated my G23 I was carrying so we will see how that works. It is a CLP that supposedly eats carbon like mad. Developed with the US Navy SEALs allegedly.

Hello everyone. Let me start off by saying that I like to give my saiga a very detailed cleaning after every shooting session. When I'm done cleaning, I usually wipe all the parts completely dry. I don't like to leave any oil in there in case it accumulates any dirt until the next time I shoot. I only lubricate my saiga prior to shooting.

My question is regarding a gun scrubber (solvent/degreaser) that's called Birchwood Casey gun scrubber. This solvent is pretty cool as far as the cleaning goes. Doesn't take much of it to clean the sh* out of gun internals. And because of its formula, it air dries in seconds. Actually, it dries so quickly that you can barely manage to do any brushing with it. To be honest, you don't have to do any brushing with it..

So, I clean my saiga with this scrubber solvent and leave it dry for like weeks. I only lubricate when I go shooting.

As far as I noticed, this solvent doesn't seem to attack the paint or plastic of the gun.

Would the drying effect of the solvent do any long term damage to gun internals? After using this solvent, I noticed that some small parts such as trigger spring etc. acquired a different whitish (dry-like) color. Or do you think I'm crazy? smile.png what do you think?

Mine is stored away after cleaning. Im unsure as to the "dirt accumulation" concern. I dont think the inside of my rifle bag all that dirty. Just dont bathe in oil and I think with any firearm you're fine.