Bullet guide installation question

Hi,

I'm trying my first Saiga conversion (7.62). I bought the Carolina Shooter Supply bullet guide kit. It is a round trunnion.

I am trying to use a hand drill to drill the hole, but my drill is too large and hits the rear sight area (not sure what its called) and wants to drill at a slight angle. Has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do? would having part of the screw angled out of the bullet guide cause any issues?

I would just go to the store and get one of those universal drill extensions. You can pick one up for like 15 bucks. The only thing I would STRONGLY caution you with is the fact that you will be transferring less torque to the bit. Be aware that if you press to hard, you will likely snap the bit. also, if you use the drill extension for the tap... same thing, be very careful not to twist or you will snap that little tap they give you.

If I where you I would do the tap by hand. You can pick up the tool you need to do the tapping by hand also at like lowes or home depot or whatever hardware store you have im sure.

Edited by JCP281

Pictures or some kind of estimate on the angle would help.

My first conversion has a slight (yet hilarious) angle of sorts. The drill wasn't too large to drill straight, it was just a rushed first time.

It works fine so far (about 3k rounds). It seems that the screw head in the bullet guide got shaved just a tiny bit because it was sticking out a cunt hair due to angle.

Pix could be better, but you should be able to see the situation.

P.S. as mentioned before, you could use some kind of extension. I use this thing sometimes for the super thin bits that don't want to secure in my drill press.

Finding something like this can be a pain if English is not your first language and you have a hard time thinking of search terms. The thing has "multi-craft" and "1/4" (6.5mm) CAP. 3/8-24 THD. KG" written on it.

post-36320-0-02502900-1334150165_thumb.jpg

post-36320-0-86958800-1334150175_thumb.jpg

post-36320-0-91742700-1334152049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Agent Lemon