VEPR Hunter .308 accuracy

Has anyone here put these thru the ringer, so to speak, accuracy wise? I know some people have produced excellant results with the Saiga 308 and good ammo/optics. I would think these would be capable of very good results, but have not found any true data on it. Thanks.

there was this video review although only for the x54R: http://youtu.be/P1aruqM7Py8

I would suspect that the .308 might be a fair better in distance, depending on load quality.

found one comparing it to a 223 saiga. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDrE9GSVPs&feature=related

2-3" @200yds, not too shabby.

Yeah that was all I could find on it as well. The new ones at Atlantic have an improved barrel and trigger, so maybe even better. Thanks.

dont have a hunter, but i do have a super in .308. probably will shoot the same other than the hunter not having a more traditional ak style trigger as compared to the super. only shot at 50y so far, i would gladly post some results, just let me know

dont have a hunter, but i do have a super in .308. probably will shoot the same other than the hunter not having a more traditional ak style trigger as compared to the super. only shot at 50y so far, i would gladly post some results, just let me know

I'm curious as to what your getting, are you using optics, off a rest, ammo choices and all?

I think as a Vepr owner it is your responsibility to do so greedy.gif

another words yes please.

alright guys, the only factory rounds i shot were some winchester softpoints if i remember its 168gr sp. heres a pic first shooting it at the range using a sparc reddot

50y, first shot high then adjusted the dot

058-1.jpg

then some handloads, shot using a scope,front bag

037-4.jpg

035-2.jpg

036-2.jpg

then just recently, shooting with irons

009-10.jpg

my super w/modified molot mount originally for the m76, to fit my vepr, and sparc reddot

012-2.jpg

i think the vepr hunter has a more sophisticated trigger system, than the supers traditional ak style(very rough) in other words i worked for those range results. but the hunters trigger assembly can be removed completely from the bottom as one unit....cool

Edited by 671saiga
  • Like 1

alright guys, the only factory rounds i shot were some winchester softpoints if i remember its 168gr sp. heres a pic first shooting it at the range using a sparc reddot

50y, first shot high then adjusted the dot

058-1.jpg

then some handloads, shot using a scope,front bag

037-4.jpg

035-2.jpg

036-2.jpg

then just recently, shooting with irons

009-10.jpg

my super w/modified molot mount originally for the m76, to fit my vepr, and sparc reddot

012-2.jpg

i think the vepr hunter has a more sophisticated trigger system, than the supers traditional ak style(very rough) in other words i worked for those range results. but the hunters trigger assembly can be removed completely from the bottom as one unit....cool

Hey. Those are some impressive groups for your first time out with that particular weapon. May I ask: how much experience do you have shooting AK type weapons? I assume that you are used to shooting .308, since you hand-load the rounds? I take it that you are not a fan of the AK irons and/or don't have much experience aiming with them? Only asking that last one, because I am pretty good with the AK irons and can shoot tighter groups with my S308 from _100_ yards. I mean, tighter ones than you shoot with your Vepr Super 308 irons from 50 yards (using the irons). Then again, my S308 has quite a bit longer sight radius. The irons on the Vepr Supers and Hunters seem for backup purposes only.

Great job on modifying that mount. It sits very low! I am supposed get the top mount model from K-Var pretty soon here. Sucks to hear that the triggers are not that great, but then again, I personally don't find the triggers on sporter Saiga rifles (other than the 308!) to be all that bad.

how much experience do i have shooting aks? none

so you say your a good shot at shooting better groups than my 50y at 100y using irons....what else can i say but....thats awesome and good for you

I didn't mean to brag or anything. For someone who is new to an AK (variant) and its sight, your irons groups are good. I appreciate your report and look forward to getting my own own Super 308, which is back-ordered.

I'm curious how the lower model Vepr's with 20" barrels fair in comparison.

very nice shooting 671saiga.

I am also curious why the new Supers come with a side rail mount instead of the top rail mount they had a few years ago.. anyone know?

Edited by Dracozny

I am also curious why the new Supers come with a side rail mount instead of the top rail mount they had a few years ago.. anyone know?

K-Var had and (soon) will have the top rail models. They are $200 cheaper, but the mount comes separately.

K-Var had and (soon) will have the top rail models. They are $200 cheaper, but the mount comes separately.

I see them in. but at the cost of the top mount plus k-vars current selling price for the rifle, It makes more sense to buy from molot directly and the mounts included.

I'm still trying to save up the cash, so who knows what it will be at by the time I have enough.

Edited by Dracozny

found some what of an answer to this question on another board. the russians just didnt like the top mount: http://www.ar15.com/...page=2#i1159964

On the other hand, the side rail on these sits very, very high and I have read that it is not very security attached to the receiver.

By the way, before, when you were talking about buying it from Molot directly, you meant Molot-USA, right? I just found out that they existed. I don't believe that they are any more connected to Yasnye Polyany than WPA or K-Var are... probably just paid a little more to be able to use the Molot brand in their company name.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

found some what of an answer to this question on another board. the russians just didnt like the top mount: http://www.ar15.com/...page=2#i1159964

On the other hand, the side rail on these sits very, very high and I have read that it is not very security attached to the receiver.

By the way, before, when you were talking about buying it from Molot directly, you meant Molot-USA, right? I just found out that they existed. I don't believe that they are any more connected to Yasnye Polyany than WPA or K-Var are... probably just paid a little more to be able to use the Molot brand in their company name.

"MOLOT USA Firearms, Ltd. is a federally licensed firearms dealer in Nevada State. We import and distribute excellent firearms, directly from firearm manufacturers in Russia." I suppose its just a name thing..

TSA makes a rail that fits these. If I get one I will be using one of those instead of the side mount.

TSA? Details, please. Googling "tsa rail" is not very useful. smile.png

Ha ha, I'm on meds, had my apendix taken out. TWS is who makes the rail. I don't think I can post the link but you'll find it easily that way.

TSA makes a rail that fits these. If I get one I will be using one of those instead of the side mount.

TSA? Details, please. Googling "tsa rail" is not very useful. smile.png

Ha ha, I'm on meds, had my apendix taken out. TWS is who makes the rail. I don't think I can post the link but you'll find it easily that way.

Funny. I had some surgery and was on the "happy pills" for a while recently as well. I know how you feel.

You sure that it works on a Super? I am supposed to get a top rail model Super (without the top rail) from K-Var pretty soon here. Frigging Kalinka wants like $170 for the Molot top rail and K-Var hasn't posted their prices yet. The TWS Dogleg Rail might be a good, cheaper alternative.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

difference is the TWS is a rail attached to a top cover. the super vepr has a mount that slips over the top cover attaching to two tangs on the side of the receiver and latches to the rear leaf site lugs with a quick release lever.

TWS:

PIC_0028Rev.jpg

molot: (via kalinka)

sv-4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

All I can see on the sight is that it's for the VEPR so I'd bet it works, but you may want to call to make sure. If you do let me know please.

I e-mailed them. Will let you know,

By the way, the TWS never bothered to reply to my e-mail, but considering how different the rear sight block and sight are on the Vepr Supers, I REALLY doubt that they standard AK dogleg rail would work.