BHO Installation

FOR THE "A KIT" (like the stock saiga BHO)

Step 1.

Make a 1/8" x 1/5" (.125" x .5") hole in the receiver. (Fig. A)

The center line of the hole should be about 3/16" (.187") from the outside edge of the receiver.

Start by drilling four 1/8" holes in the receiver bottom. Use a good, sharp bit with lubricant and go slow. Scoring a line with a Dremel cut-off wheel, scribe or center punch can keep your drill bit from creeping. Once your holes have been drilled, you can remove the excess material from the opening by using a file or a small grinding bit on a Dremel tool. Finish the opening with a small, flat needle file.

FIG. A

post-1827-1126217701_thumb.jpg

Step 2.

Place the spring and BHO into the receiver as shown with the spring hooked over the BHO (Fig. B)

FIG. B

post-1827-1126217721_thumb.jpg

Step 3.

Proceed with the installation of your Fire Control Group (FCG) beginning with the hammer. (Fig. C) Remember, you must remove material from the right side of the hammer sleeve in order for it to fit with the BHO installed.

Tip: Hold the BHO up to the edge of the hammer sleeve, scribe a mark on the sleeve and that is roughly the amount of material you need to remove.

FIG. C

post-1827-1126217735_thumb.jpg

Step 4.

Maneuver the trigger group assembly into place. (Fig. D) Push the trigger axis pin almost all the way through.

FIG. D

post-1827-1126217751_thumb.jpg

Step 5.

With a miniature screwdriver or small piece of steel, reach through the trigger pin hole and depress the spring loop from the outside of your receiver as shown (Fig. E) to allow the trigger pin to pass through the loop. Once you have done this, the trigger pin should be able to be pushed all the way home and your BHO spring is secured. This is the hardest part of the process.

FIG. E

post-1827-1126217762_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the blurry photo...

Some guys have used a string to get the spring to compress, and have had good luck. Here's a link to one post I found.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...741entry38741

Step 6.

Reassemble the firearm and test function.

Jeric

Edited by Jeric

FOR THE "B KIT" (converted guns only)

Step 1.

Make a 1/8" x 1/5" (.125" x .5") hole in the receiver. (Fig. A)

The center line of the hole should be about 3/16" (.187") from the outside edge of the receiver.

Start by drilling four 1/8" holes in the receiver bottom. Use a good, sharp bit with lubricant and go slow. Scoring a line with a Dremel cut-off wheel, scribe or center punch can keep your drill bit from creeping. Once your holes have been drilled, you can remove the excess material from the opening by using a file or a small grinding bit on a Dremel tool. Finish the opening with a small, flat needle file.

SEE FIG. A ABOVE

Step 2.

Using an 9/64" (.149") drill bit, enlarge the holes through which the allen head bolts will thread into the cross member. These are the front-most two holes on the sides of the receiver that are left once you remove the old trigger mechanism. One is just about the right size to begin with, the other needs to be a bit larger.

Step 3.

Be sure to install your pistol grip nut before this step!

Place the spring in the receiver, and place the cross member at a slight angle into the receiver. (Fig. B)

Using a needle nosed pliers or a needle-nosed vice grip, maneuver the cross member back and down until you are able to thread one bolt in. Then push down on the opposite side of the cross member until you are able to thread the other bolt in. Using two allen wrenches of the same size, tighten both bolts down at the same time.

FIG. B

post-1827-1126219095_thumb.jpg

Step 4.

Place the BHO in the receiver as shown. (Fig. C).

Lift up the hook on the spring and set it onto the nook on the BHO. (Fig. D.)

FIG. C

post-1827-1126219108_thumb.jpg

FIG. D

post-1827-1126219121_thumb.jpg

Step 5.

Proceed with the installation of your Fire Control Group (FCG) beginning with the hammer. Remember, you must remove material from the right side of the hammer sleeve in order for it to fit with the BHO installed. Tip: Hold the BHO up to the edge of the hammer sleeve, scribe a mark on the sleeve and that is roughly the amount of material you need to remove.

Slide the hammer pin through the receiver and through the BHO pivot hole. Next, insert your trigger assembly. As you insert the trigger pin, push up on the BHO so your pin goes underneath, secure your pins and you're done!

Step 6.

Reassemble the firearm and test function. (well, duh...)

Jeric

I think it works a little bit better if you install the original rear trigger pin and cut a little groove in it to hold the back leg of the spring. This keeps the spring up against the R/H wall of the receiver, otherwise the back leg of the spring wants to migrate over to the center of the receiver and is cocked at an angle. See pic.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php?photo=322543

• 7 months later...

When you refer to a "converted" weapon, do you mean w/ PG and other stock mods?

I just bought a Saiga-20 from a friend, and love it enough to really put some hours into it. I would like to purchase and install a pistol grip, and I had been wishing for a BHO since I first fired the gun. :killer: I just read the whole thread here, and I am very interested in pursuing some of the ideas that I have read about from you folks. I have a background in machining, and have most of the tools for installing most mods I have seen or read about.

My gun still has the blk plastic one piece butt stock and plastic forend, it might as well be NIB, my friend only put a box of shells thru it. I am also interested in a flash hider, and/or new sights for the front to replace the brass bead I have now.

Thank you for your time and effort in all these posts, rest assured that they have helped this poor lost soul. I will be making a donation to this forum as soon as my next pay check comes in.

Dangerman-

The Closer You Are To Danger, The Further You Are From Harm

Who's selling the BHOs?

Thanks.

I am. Please see the FS thread below.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=6672&hl

Thanks!

Jeric

Thanks. I forgot where I put that thread. You have made it unnecessary for me to wait for the BHO models to start coming in before I buy my second S-12. :smoke:

One more quick question. Are the protruding tabs the same length as the original? I was planning to shorten mine, until I figured out that the Russians wanted you to be able to lift it and then squeeze the trigger for a simulated automatic BHO effect for ammo changes or last round BHO. In the side view above, it looks a bit shorter. Is it? Can I get one with the same length as the original? Thanks again.

Edited by inparidel
One more quick question. Are the protruding tabs the same length as the original? I was planning to shorten mine, until I figured out that the Russians wanted you to be able to lift it and then squeeze the trigger for a simulated automatic BHO effect for ammo changes or last round BHO. In the side view above, it looks a bit shorter. Is it? Can I get one with the same length as the original? Thanks again.

No, they are not the same length, mine are indeed a bit shorter. Good eye.

That design decision was primarily because the tab would stick down to the point of being uncomfortable when you had done a pistol grip conversion. Also, since these were all laser cut in a single batch, (and I did quite a few) they are what they is.

Thanks!

Jeric

• 2 years later...

Great thread!

Does anyone know how to make a BHO using the safety lever? I've hear of people doing this but have never seen it. I only want one for the 12ga because it's so hard to insert a mag with the bolt closed. I've never been able to do it although I have seen a friend insert a mag on a closed bolt.

If I could, I'd rather have an auto BHO than a manual.

Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...

could some one PLEASE draw a diagram

top and then side view of what goes in where..

the Spring for the BHO..

mine poped out so fast when i removed the pins i didnt really see how it is supposed to be.

if not i will do it once i figure this puzzle out...

feeling slow.

also can you put in the fcg in and then the safety or does that have to be in an order?

oh, and great photos & post.

Edited by DrWho