Dented brass on .308 - Repair question

Has anyone attempted to trim back the dust cover opening where the brass is hitting on the .308? I thought about padding the edge or buying something to fit the edge of the opening but it seems that the brass would still fly out 10-20 feet forward as it does now.

I would prefer to have the brass miss the dust cover all together and land behind me. I saw a SCAR .308 throwing brass in that fashion and didn't see any problem with it.

With that said I thought about using a Dremel tool and cutting back the ejection slot in quarter inch increments until the brass behaved the way I wanted and didn't damage it during ejection.

Any ideas or experience with doing something like that?

• Like 1

I went the car door trim route and have decided to keep that port the size it should be given the results were acceptable for reloading.

As for widening the port no, I like the pattern it has now for ejected brass, out of the way.

i didnt bother to even mess with mine at all... the brass reloads just fine. ( As long as I can find it... at my range there are a lot of dried leaves where my brass gets flung ) Little dent in the side of the case comes right out when full length resizing... :up: And if it doesnt... it will when the cartridge goes off... LOL :lol: I would leave it alone... you will wind up grinding it away and HATE the way it looks after you are done, and then be like "awww fuck... why did I have to fuck with it?!?!?! "

:smoke:

• Like 1

The dented cases do reload fine, just be sure to examine all brass closely, magnification helps, for cracks.

But that's just good practice anyway, only takes a few seconds.

The more brass is "stressed" the fewer times it will stand up to sizing, which is why neck sizing only for bolties yields longer brass life, less stress.

If the denting is reducing the life of the brass then reducing the denting would logically be advisable.

The door trim reduced but did not eliminate the issue. As I said it all reloads anyway just ALWAYS check your brass at each reload.

BTW I made a brass catcher out of a minnow net that works real well. Just copy the design of one those they will charge you $60 for. Got $10 in mine.

Shooting stuff is fun, reloading just makes it more so.

• Like 1

I second, Indy's response. I reload my brass the dented cases are not an issue. I believe they would be if they were going back into a precision bolt gun. I can't document any difference in performance from the AK based on the dent vs. non-dented case. They also shoot just fine out of my daughter's custom Winchester Model 88 (lever action).

• Like 1