It is a sad day in America...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im confused about which part of my response, if your talking about my responce; your refering too?

"I think you are living in a history book fantasy land and a govt issued text book at that (issued to us by the ruling class). Come on be honest, leave the government issued nostalgia out of this."

If you are refering to my constitution bit...that was just background for saying times have changed and to be honest no one alive really knows how things were at that time. History is rewritten by every generation. That is unless your like 300+ years old.

Ian

Edited by badz2801

There is simply no arguing the fact that the US was/is succesful because of the freedoms that existed when the country was young. There are numerous clear examples of bad effects that came about because of govenrments direct restriction of individual freedoms. Prohibition brought us the mob. The war on (some) drugs has brought us the militarization of the police. Gun control has emboldened criminals in any big city (or other victim disarmament areas).

Unfortunately, governments don't have a habit of willingly giving up a control or power they have acquired. Even ours may not be able to do so.

But 'the future, uncertain is', do what you can, but do not worry overmuch. Write/call your congresscritter, support local and national groups that share your views, and most importantly, talk to people about all this. Most folks just haven't thought about all this very often, they need your help.

Genocide and slavery? Yes, these words are part of our history. But consider this, at the end of World War II, the greatest and most powerful military the world had ever seen stood victorious over the smoking ruins of worlds most powerful countries, both friend and foe...looked around...nodded it's head...and WENT HOME. This was unheard of. We are not the bad guys.

Edited to add...

Oh yeah, while it would be best to prevent/reverse the trend in gun control here in the US (and abroad), if the time ever comes when you will REALLY need a gun, there will be plenty around, and all you'll need to get one is a smiling girl and a 2x4.

Edited by stimpsonjcat

I believe Oak is referring to the way our forefathers shit on the native Americans. He has a good point and nothing can ever be done to make amends for their actions. As far as slavery goes...never mind I won't even go there.

I would hope at least that anyone giving up weapons to authorities in NO should get them back after this whole mess is over, as long as they were law abiding citizens and not looter scum. Weren't those the guys who were taking up arms and saying they would shoot looters if they came around. I heard they were stopping every car that came down the street. Even in a time of crisis it's not legal to shoot anyone unless they are armed and your own life is threatened. The smart people down there either evacuated with their weapons or secured their weapons against theft or confiscation.

I'm not saying it's ok to confiscate weapons from law abiding citizens but these guys pushed the envelope and how does the law put it, "going armed to the terror of the puiblic" of some thing like that? I hope they are not busting down doors in parts of the city that don't need evacuation. Those people should be allowed to stay and defend their homes against looters. They should however be careful about waving guns around with the amount of military and police presence there.

badz I didn't see that in the video but I heard a fellow member talking about two guys down there in a wealthy neighborhood who were on rooftops with weapons and something about the Guard being ready to respond with a 50. He also said they were stopping cars in the neighborhood. I just assumed it was the same guys. After watching the video again I noticed they were allowed to stay in their homes but their weapons were taken. That's F'd up! But if they had not been so bold with their weapons they would probably still have them.

I think the great country that was referred to was that still harboring the American Dream of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Today, we have our lives, some liberties, and can pursue happiness as long as it goes along with what the gov't views to be acceptable. Today, being average is rewarded more than being exceptional. Today, civil liberties are also our civil restraints. I wasn't alive when the Bill of Rights was written, or even when it was incorperated. I can't say if things were better then or now, but I can say that I agree that this country was great. But like anything precious, time tarnishes all.

These same private citizens that they're now disarming by force (called persuasion) are lawfully taking responsibility for themselves instead of depending on the gov't. This exceptional pro-activism is being rewarded by forceful (persuasive) detainment and forceful (persuasive) removal of their guns, granted in the constitution of what used to be a great country that actually honored its legally binding documents. These private citizens countless times in the past weeks have protected the cops who ran out of ammo, or whose guns were never good enough to begin with. And now officials are suggesting that they're handing over their weapons because the gov't's weapons are bigger. They don't suggest it's because they're cooperating and trying to be part of the solution. The average dredge of society is being rewarded by mooching on my tax money and being protected by non-law-abiding officials funded in the same way. These few people who are being helpful (exceptional) are being punished. Welcome to the New America.

And don't call it "persuasion". Everyone one of us knows that if we pull a gun on any other person, by law it is considered "the use of deadly force." Even if it is unfired, or fired to maim and not kill, in the eyes of the law drawing a weapon is considered using DEADLY FORCE. These officers are breaking and entering (entering without a warrant), disarming law abiding citizens (violating the 2nd ammendment), using deadly force (calling it persuasion), and using military weapons (.50BMG) against civilians, which is also illegal. I don't care if it is the cops or national guard, if they enter a house without a warrant with weapons drawn, it legally should be self-defense to retaliate with equal force.

Today is a sad day because I have lost faith in America as being free. I always new it was the "most free country", but I never realized how restricted "most free" could be.

If martial law is declared, you have no rights. If You want to keep your weapons when you are forcably evacuated- you had best have them locked up in a decent safe/strongbox/ect. .

G O B

I do not believe marshal law has been enacted...

and yes ALL guns are being confiscated... even if you stay in your house.

They are kicking in doors and cutting locks and chains to gain entrance into peoples

properties.

LB

Let's face it the gubberment declared martial law without saying it. Part of the great delay was an argument between the governor and President over who would command the military troops. When state national guard proved too little too late the governor conceded and capitulated to Bush paving the way for his provision and direction of military troops to regain control in the midst of chaotic looting and violence. Since then the gubberment has been incrementally or "delicately" working toward forcible removal of unwilling citizens with the taking of weapons preceding so as not to frustrate the last holdouts from being dragged away by force. There is method to the madness. Unfortunately it has set a precedent that this is an acceptable manner to quell chaos: take everyone's gun to assure it is never turned on you and fock the Constitution and the citizens rights. The gubberment wanted to regain contol quickly without further firearms incidents. So the sad truth is your and my rights are floating in the stink water of New Orleans.

Edited by Wolverine

I think I'll rely on my Saiga for a SHTF gun. However, I have counted up my rounds in magazines ready to be expelled at high velocities away from me to be 160. Broken down, that's:

91rounds of .223 62grain

23rounds of 12ga 9pellet 00

33rounds of .45ACP Hollow Point

13rounds of .380 Fragmenting

Definately not enough...I need more Saiga mags and some high powered rounds like .300Mag or .50BMG. Too bad incendiaries are illegal...Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep in practice with what I got right now until I can afford more.

The Second Amendment was put in place for this type of situation. The city was up for grabs for several days. The government protection and help did not come. The people were on their own and had to protect themselves. The police dont have to worry about the good guys and the thugs stole all the guns they need. They shouldnt be taking guns off people who are not causing a problem. When the govt says they are taking your guns to protect you, I dont buy it. That area could get hit by another storm in a week and then what? This is one of the biggest disasters we have ever had but the govt has shown that its reaction is slow and weak at best. They were overwhelmed.

Edited by ironhead7544
The Second Amendment was put in place for this type of situation. The city was up for grabs for several days. The government protection and help did not come. The people were on their own and had to protect themselves. The police dont have to worry about the good guys and the thugs stole all the guns they need. They shouldnt be taking guns off people who are not causing a problem. When the govt says they are taking your guns to protect you, I dont buy it. That area could get hit by another storm in a week and then what? This is one of the biggest disasters we have ever had but the govt has shown that its reaction is slow and weak at best. They were overwhelmed.

+1

From day one the police there became part of the problem.

For me the buck stops at physical confiscation. Where do you draw the line? To me, the consequences of being unarmed are just as bad or worse for myself, my family and for the country as a whole, as those consequences that result from having to kill a federal lap dog, to retain my firearms.

I am sure many of the Nazi German soldiers and Russian secret police that went door to door confiscating weapons and arresting political dissadents where just as young, mislead and baby faced as our own soldiers. But history doesn't make excuses for them. Why then do we do we hold our own at a lower standard?

Those members of the military and police that are disarming innocent citizens are violating their oath of duty, and are now traitors.

The good people of New Orleans should have assembled a militia long ago to prevent this very thing from happening.

Without doubt, anyone who defends their rights with force will be branded a terrorist or extremist. But what do you expect? Evil doesn't play fair.

I am a peaceful man, who is law abiding and I try to live my life according to Christian principles. I am calm, and am not privy to bouts of extremism. I respect the religious and political beliefs of others, even if they conflict with mine. I have never robbed, raped, killed or wrongfully attacked another person. I do not like violence, and always try to settle things with words, even when another has attacked me physically.

BUT, let me make this crystal clear.. Any gov't official that trys to desicrate the memory of my ancestors who worked and fought for my rights by confiscating my firearms, will be met with such resistance and deadly force it will make them think they opened a door to hell.

Edited by junkyardblacksmith