Front sight pin mod

Been having trouble picking up my sites lately. Realized I still had the factory FSB take-off, so I took out the pin, padded the threads with some tape, and cinched it down inside my hand drill's chuck.

A couple minutes of holding a metal file to it, and then some fine grade sandpaper, and I've got this:

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

Not sure if it will really be easier/faster to pickup and keep track of or not. I'm debating whether or not to polish it, or maybe paint it..

So, what mods have you done to your sights?

• Like 2

Its ALOT easier to pick up the front sight and your still keeping the center point of the rear sight. You may or may not need the horizontal lines but the vertical white line helps you get on center faster.

I need all the help I can get with 55 yr old eyes LOL!!!

What did you use to v notch? file or dremel cutting disk? That looks like a really useful mod.

I used what I call a knife file. It doesnt have square sides like a regular flat file. It has a rounded edge on one side and almost comes to a knife edge on the other side.

Been having trouble picking up my sites lately. Realized I still had the factory FSB take-off, so I took out the pin, padded the threads with some tape, and cinched it down inside my hand drill's chuck.

A couple minutes of holding a metal file to it, and then some fine grade sandpaper, and I've got this:

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

Not sure if it will really be easier/faster to pickup and keep track of or not. I'm debating whether or not to polish it, or maybe paint it..

So, what mods have you done to your sights?

I like what you did with your pin. I may have to add that mod to mine if you dont mind...

I like what you did with your pin. I may have to add that mod to mine if you dont mind...

I'd be honored, please do! (though I'm sure it's been done by many before me).

Took her to the range today, as I finally purchased a front sight tool(didn't feel like using a hammer) and recoil buffer for the slightly bothersome rear trunion smashing . What a difference, Had no problem shooting a 7-8" group at 100 yards from the bench(which is good for me.. i'm still in the spraying ammo phase, it's too much fun, rather than working on marksmanship.)

The buffer, as much as I hated tainting the gun with something to foreign, totally changed the recoil! it seems to have lessened the muzzle rise, and quickened the cycling. I love the feel.

• Like 1

That's an interesting mod geofri, but if I'm gonna go to the trouble of removing, (and re-zeroing), the fucker, I'm installing some kind of tritium-marked replacement, as I did on one of my rifles:

xssights002.jpg

It's kind of a shitty pic, but you get the idea. The above are XS Big Dot sights.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

i just took my front posts to "almost" points, with a dremel and a cutting disk... Did not remove them from the rifle... think tall thin pyramid shapes here...

The thinner the tip, the finer the target it can hold on at longer distances... shrunk group sizes immensely! 032.gif

000.gif

That's an interesting mod geofri, but if I'm gonna go to the trouble of removing, (and re-zeroing), the fucker, I'm installing some kind of tritium-marked replacement, as I did on one of my rifles:

p><p>It

What did that run you?

I have thought about getting one, but haven't had good luck with tritium sights. Not sure it's fair to assume it would transfer, but I can't shoot squat with them on my glock, but the white stock sights are a magnet for my eyes.

Also, doesn't that make your pin much larger/wider?

This was just a cure for the dremel itch.. needed to tinking with something asap, no time to wait around, lol.

at least I didn't get it out of my system by stippling my glock's grip : E

i just took my front posts to "almost" points, with a dremel and a cutting disk... Did not remove them from the rifle... think tall thin pyramid shapes here...

The thinner the tip, the finer the target it can hold on at longer distances... shrunk group sizes immensely! http://forum.saiga-12.com//public/style_emoticons/default/032.gif' alt='032.gif'>

000.gif

Got a photo? I'm not visualizing that well..I was thinking it might be cool to turn the ball on my site tip to a pyramid.. is that what you did.

Glow in the dark paint on some of my guns.

I picked up a tritium front sight post for an AR on ebay for $12, and that is going to replace the bead on my IZ-108 rail as soon as I get an 8-36 tap.

I may get a peep sight too of some sort, or make one for both saiga 12s