Sign in to follow this  
Cobra 76 two

Barrel Threading Tutorial

I need to get my thoughts straight on how to set up the TAT, how deep to thread it into the die when getting started......

However deep you start, be sure to make it less deep as you progress or you'll err as I did!

In my attempt I only threaded the TAT three or four turns to start. I forgot to back it off after cutting three or four threads, so those three or four threads on the muzzle got screwed up.

I'm glad I found this web site,alot of great usefull stuff on here. I just purchased my second Saiga Sporter in 7.62.The first was already slightly modified from Classic Firarms,the second has not been done yet.I will be installing a brake and a few other mods.

Here's my problem, and I am looking for any help if anyone knows the answer.

I have a Romanian AK47, and it had the thread protector tacked on. I cut the weld with a Dremal and got it off, only to be disappointed that there were no threads.

I then borrowed a threading tool kit to cut the 14LH threads, but I hadn't realized that they had ground the barrel down a bit smaller, so the flash suppressor wouldn't stay on. It's just a bit too small.

So now, I am looking for a solution.

Can I re-cut new threads to a RH American standard that's close to the 762?

Also, I need to fix the bayonet ears. They ground those off too. I was thinking of trying to weld on it, and then shape with a Dremal, but there must be someone out there that has gone through this issue.

this was a lame CA gun originally, but I am no longer in CA. Defected from there long ago.

I can't spend $200 or more for a new FSB and bayonet mount. I am looking for a DIY solution.

Thanks