Ok I purchased my extended mag release. I was wondering if anybody can point me in a direction for a quality magwell. One that is compatible with Drums and mags?(if possible)amazing.gif

JT engineering is rumored to be in middle of making a magwell that accepts mags + drums. (At least I think its JT)

It is. JT, he has shown video, and by the schedule he stated, he should have the first batch in production now.

I can say that I am very satisfied with My JTE surefire stule gen 4 magwell. I am very grateful for the innovation he has put into improving the platform. All things equal, I would give money to him for developing a product that was previously not available for magazines available in the USA.

If you want drums, wait for the JTE drum friendly model. otherwise...

The other available magwells cost more or are the same thing for a similar price in plastic.

Options as they exist for US mag compatible magwells:

JTE: gen 4 SGM $90 The original US magwell works great.

SGM: $85: plastic copy of JTE on internal dimensions, looks like Russian. I can see no reason not to pay $5 more and get the aluminum JTE.

Tac47. Looks good, integrated trigger guard and release, costs much more, holds the mag from a weak point o the side that tends to break. If you love the style and reinforce your mags this can be a good choice. -- If you want your S12 to be as AR like as possible, this is the closest.

R&R: competition oriented. It is designed to hold more of the mag, but more loosely. It costs about double the JTE. I can't remember whether it has an integrated trigger guard. Possibly marginally faster than JTE, but that is a close hair to shave.

Firebird: $$$ integrated trigger guard. I believe this is more of a rock n lock funnel than a straight insertion magwell.

• Like 1

They only work with rare foreign magazines. The magwell will probably cost you $120+ is plastic. Molot magwell is the same in metal. Obviously the molot is the preferred choice. Modified saiga magazines or Molot magazines work. Those tended to go for $120 -200 each and be hard to find at that price. Wolf performace just started selling Molot magwell mags for $99 ea. shipped. Who knows how available those are going to be. They come in 5 and 8 shot. For some reason I keep seeing sites call them 4 shot magazines. Not sure what that's about.

Most say factory magwell magazines such as the molot are much better quality and overall less likely to have failures than modified magazines such as all the US models use.

With the US magwells, magazines are common, cost $30 -45 and can be had in 5,8,10, 12 shot and from R&R, etc, in 16 to 20 shot frankenmag versions.

The molot mags are also compatible with the LRBHO models out of the box. If I had a vepr with magwell and LRBHO, I would probably be looking at modding AGPs for it, and get 1 OEM 8 for the nightstand. If the russian mags dropped to $40 or so, I would start picking those up.

For current choices, I chose and would still choose JTE surefire. The other choices are good too. If I were in your shoes and the drum is important, I would hold out for the JTE double latch model. I think there is a chance that people will start shedding older JTE magwells and magazines to put the new style on, so that might be a good time to pick up their leftovers.

I spoke with Jack on Monday the 9th. The magwells will come to market. He got slammed by a couple of his commercial accounts and that had distracted him from the magwell temporarilly. Jack told me that he really wants to focus on new and exciting things but that he also has to take care of the hand that feeds him. If we are patient it wont be long before the new JTE magwell will be on the market.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Gunfun...Money isn't too tight right now so I'll take your word for it and pick up the JTE model. Is this magwell compatible with all magazines or does it favor a certain brand?

Thanks for the info Gunfun...Money isn't too tight right now so I'll take your word for it and pick up the JTE model. Is this magwell compatible with all magazines or does it favor a certain brand?

It is made for surefire (SGM) magazines. The preferred choice is to buy their unmodified and do the fitting yourself. Some people say the "competition" mags run in JTE others have issues. They cost the same. Just don't get in a rush and remove too much material. follow the instructions.

People have modified other magazines to work, and possibly the magwell itself. That is a lot more involved, and easy to mess up. He used to sell an AGP model and a surefire model. Now he just sells surefire.

Honestly, If I were in your shoes, I would hold out for the JTE double latch that is not on the market yet. you will almost certainly have to make a permanent cut on your reciever for that one. I suspect that it will be a little slower, but the universal compatibility with all drum magazines, the double stacks when they come out, and all unmodified standard magazines is a major selling point.

oh and thanks for the info Mad Max

Edited by GunFun

It will probably take a few months yet, but you won't be whining when the DS mags eventually come out.

I love what I have, but Double Stack mags/ drums, and conventtional sticks with a mag well will be a game changer. Pester Jack Travers. Maybe he will let you in on the beta release. He is pretty helpful if you take things seriously and ask intelligent questions.

thanks for laying out the options gunfun. What about Izhmash magwells?

works great and is south of 50 euro. They take OEM Saiga or Molot 8 round magwell mags or you just modify aftermarket ones. You can get them free fall without problem. I have ProMags and so far they work without problem.

• 4 months later...

Update for searchers: SGM is making molot magwell magazines specifically for the Vepr 12 to coincide with Wolf's big import. They are supposed to work with the LRBHO on that gun.

Vepr mags have been made to work in Izzy magwells, but using Izzy magwell mags in Veprs is apparently problematic.

• 1 month later...