Golani Cheek Rest

I've had this Golani for around 3 years and I love the rifle. As long as I feed it full-power 5.56 it runs like a machine. It doesn't like limp-wristed 223 loads.

Since I first shot it, I've always wanted a decent cheek rest for the excellent folding stock. But I don't like any of the available options. I got an ATI SKS cheek rest some time ago thinking it might fit but it didn't work. The width was right but it sat too high and the mounting screw was in the wrong place.

I tossed it in a box and didn't think about it again, until we moved recently and I found it again. With a second look at it I figured it was worth a shot at making it fit.

With a few minutes dremel work I removed the ears from the bottom and took out some material from the ends so it would sit lower on the stock.

I drilled a small hole straight through the plastic piece in the center of the stock and larger holes in the cheek piece. 2 black screws from the odds-n-ends box and viola. Exactly what I wanted. When I put the rifle to my shoulder my eye is automatically centered on the rear sight.

The color difference between the cheekrest and the rest of the gun isn't as dramatic as it looks in the pics.

post-4831-0-13459000-1334352766.jpg

gallery_4831_941_51981.jpg

gallery_4831_941_179972.jpg

gallery_4831_941_140188.jpg

gallery_4831_941_414293.jpg

gallery_4831_941_168506.jpg

Edited by XD45
  • Like 6

I have thought about getting a mag adapter but tbh I enjoy the "AKness" of the rock-n-lock.

It's unfortunate that the Israelis got stuck with the NATO standard anti-poodle round. The Galil would have been awesome in 7.62x39.

• 2 years later...

Ancient post I know, sorry if this could have been done a less annoying way but this is exactly what I'm looking for. I want a cheek piece for my bonesteel folder on my vepr .223. Darth Saigus, did this idea hold up over time and work out like you wanted it to? This looks like a great idea if it is sturdy.

Nothing annoying about finding existing developed threads with good info and continuing them. Ignore anyone who is brain damaged enough to use words like "necrothread" They are also the same tards that will whine about you posting a new thread about an old topic.

I couldn't agree with you more GunFun. I'm trying to make a respectable backup rifle to my SLR-107 so I figured the Vepr if made into a 1ve configuration would satisfy me. It won't be all Molot parts, but that doesn't really bother me. This is it so far. Disregard the hose clamp hand guard retainer lol I don't have that part figured out yet.

post-48520-0-56264000-1428093758_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Looks good tchick. What I ended up doing was getting an Svd cheek rest (not an original one) and removed the clasp and went back with poly straps. Looks good and slides left or right. I had already ordered that cheek rest discussed in this topic so when it arrived I used it on my m77 stock.. Not sure which I like more

I put some pipe insulation on my Bonesteel stock until I find something else. May have to try one of those SKS cheek rests.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Get some contact cement and black leather from a furniture store, and you have something worth leaving on.

I put some pipe insulation on my Bonesteel stock until I find something else. May have to try one of those SKS cheek rests.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Get some contact cement and black leather from a furniture store, and you have something worth leaving on.

Great idea.

Another decent place to get smooth black leather is a jacket from the thrift store. Furnature leather is thicker and generally is treated to be UV and moisture sealed, so that's a plus. It ruins it for tooling, but I've made a few good things from it.

It's unfortunate that the Israelis got stuck with the NATO standard anti-poodle round. The Galil would have been awesome in 7.62x39.

They do make an export Galil in 7.62x39, it's just that the 5.56 Galil is more popular as an export.  The Galil magwell for the rock and lock mags is designed around the 7.62x39 magazine with some slight differences.  This is why a parts kit Galil can be converted and why the new Galil ACE for the US market are 7.62x39.