Related question.....

Im interested in the construction of a small gun safe "room"

It would be in the the corner of our concrete block basement which is underground (also surrounded by lots of rock as it took some dynamite to start building).

Would just rebar or steel reinforced block walls with a steel frame and locking door(s) by a safe company be GTG? I believe the ceilings are concrete slabs (unsure of size or the exact maaterial makeup)

Also, I've watched Craigs a little bit for any type salvage doors/setup from a business or other that might be applicable - no luck. Any ideas?

TIA

Harv

When doing an underground room, Temperature and humidity will be a problem, you will need air conditioning/heat. Use one of the separate units - that only require a 3" hole to run the lines thru. A serious door can be constructed with 3/8 fire code plywood,make a steel frame out of angle iron. Fill with a sandwich made of plywood outside with gypsum board and 1/4" steel plate. Steel center, dry wall on either side of that and finished layer of fire code plywood inside and out.

Edited by G O B
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't like any of the offerings commercially and I am paranoid so here is mine. It is tucked away somewhere in these hills in the backround on my ranch.

I still have room enough inside the safe for those (and the safe came with a sliding jewelry drawer).  What I have actually run out of space for within, is for long guns.

Liberty is good but stay away from the fatboy series. They are paper thin     That's why I filled mine with black powder. It's going to be a very bad day for anyone torching/cutting my safe

Posted Images

I've been in the market to upgrade my gun safe for a while now. For the last couple years, I've been trying to accumilate info on various models. Looking at reviews, features, cost, warranties and general information on gun safes has (so far) led me to focus on two brands that are available for $2,000 or so. Those would be Fort Knox and Liberty safes. The Fort Knox safes are more expensive, with their cheapest model (that I found) being about two grand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9buR30A_0lk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn79_I41UmM

Thoughts, suggestions, observations?

You think the "squad" would know how to shape a charge! LOL

If you can also cover the out side of the cider blocks with sheet rock then 1/2 inch or better ply wood. and not the abs chip board but good plywood...

In case your wondering why?

Well I can and have gone through a cider block wall with rebar using a 10 lbs sledge hammer rather fast when I was in construction.

Covered in sheet rock and ply wood it's gonna give that hammer alot of bounce and make it a much longer process taking more tools to peel the layers away then just a 10 lbs sledge.

And yes get a golden rod or other type of climate control for the room nothing holds moisture like cinder block.

Edited by armalite_ar50

I wonder what the price would be to get the room sprayed in bedliner coating? That's some really tough stuff! As far as a door goes, you could use a safe as the door, with the back cut off, bolted into your wall. Craigslist sometimes has used safes for next to nothing.

I think the main difference between a vault door and a regular safe door is you can't open a safe from the inside.

I thought about the same thing with cutting the body off a safe but I don't like the risk of being trapped if the door got closed by accident.

I wonder if a guy could find a demolition contractor who does old banks. I think an antique style bank vault door would be cool as hell in my basement.

Seems like anything on the web starts about $3 K and goes up from there.

I think the main difference between a vault door and a regular safe door is you can't open a safe from the inside.

I thought about the same thing with cutting the body off a safe but I don't like the risk of being trapped if the door got closed by accident.

I wonder if a guy could find a demolition contractor who does old banks. I think an antique style bank vault door would be cool as hell in my basement.

Seems like anything on the web starts about $3 K and goes up from there.

That would be cool

This nice, but pricey

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BANK-VAULT-DOOR-FROM-EARLY-1900S-/220931046185?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3370843b29

Edited by Dad2142Dad

Some things just are not cheap, you can build it, GOB posted how too. Just with certain things I do pay the premium if I can handle the pain, or just wait and save it up. Sometimes the money is well spent.

Agreed. I'll buy a door and build a vault before I buy another safe. I just wish I could find a door for a better price but not willing to compromise on quality. Besides, consider what's inside that door looks cheap all a sudden.

Find a reputable mover for the safe if you require one. Moving companies are one of those places that seem to have high turn over types. If nothing else, the fewer people who know, the better.

Commercial safe companies move safes all the time. They know how to do, they have the specialized gear needed to move them up or down stairs, they should be bonded and insured etc. And whatever you have in your safe is peanuts compared to what their jeweler customers have.

Would just rebar or steel reinforced block walls with a steel frame and locking door(s) by a safe company be GTG? I believe the ceilings are concrete slabs (unsure of size or the exact maaterial makeup)

Look at "Special Support Areas" http://www.wbdg.org/design/armories.php

Also, I've watched Craigs a little bit for any type salvage doors/setup from a business or other that might be applicable - no luck. Any ideas?

I've seen vault doors on ebay for not crazy prices (normal ones, not bank vault doors). Not sure about shipping and install costs.

From time to time bank vault doors come on the market for essentially free. But you have to pay to remove and install. Sadly I've been told that the labor and equipment cost to do that is astonishingly high, like starting at $30K.

These are pretty neat also...

concealed_bed.jpg

Concealed Bed Safes

Total hidden protection for firearms and other valuables is a reality, using this 1300 lb secure 78”x 60”x 14” (queen size) 10 gauge steel strongbox fitted with ¼” thick steel 140 lb. hinged doors.

BedBunker Safes are available for any size bed. King and Queen size beds can be fit with a single safe with two adjoining storage supports on either side for complete concealment from all angles.

ca_justice.gifBedbunker safes are approved by the California department of justice for storage of firearms and are guaranteed for life!

Concealed Bed Safes

• Like 2

Vandergraff for a "safe"

Do you mean Graffunder? They are very nice. Brown Safe too. Those are both pretty pricey, but real solid choices.

A Sturdy would do the job, or an AMSEC BF series. Fort Knox is good. Not too impressed with Liberty, but their higher end National Security is probably decent. Zanotti Armor is a lighter duty but good option for non-ground floor or if you move often, although there's a waiting period on them. Better modular design than another one on the market.

These are pretty neat also...

concealed_bed.jpg

Concealed Bed Safes

Total hidden protection for firearms and other valuables is a reality, using this 1300 lb secure 78”x 60”x 14” (queen size) 10 gauge steel strongbox fitted with ¼” thick steel 140 lb. hinged doors.

BedBunker Safes are available for any size bed. King and Queen size beds can be fit with a single safe with two adjoining storage supports on either side for complete concealment from all angles.

ca_justice.gifBedbunker safes are approved by the California department of justice for storage of firearms and are guaranteed for life!

Concealed Bed Safes

Just don't wet the bed or your guns will rust!!haha.gif

• 3 years later...

So the thing with safes is that they are an investment.  That is the first thing you need to realize before going any further.  Investment means that you put in the money, maybe you save up for a couple years, but you get something high quality.  When it comes to security price does matter (unfortunately).  You are going to get what you pay for.  Yes, Fort Knox is expensive, but it is the best (my opinion of course).  It has the most customization, and that means that you get unique security.  Uniqueness means that thugs are not going to be prepared for what you have.  This explains it better than I can here: http://united-locksmith.net/blog/7-things-you-didnt-know-about-safes

So I just read that again to make sure it is the right one.  It does have some ways around spending too much money, but I would not recommend cuts where they can be avoided.  Don't cut conners, and don't skimp on protection.   

Yeah, quit fucking around and get a real safe! :)http://www.graffundersafes.com/

• 2 months later...

I had mine custom made a while back By Homelandsafes in califonia. i have a 5/8 steel door which is more than half an inch of steel and a 1/4" steel body..It works very well..

post-16872-0-94937900-1447552691_thumb.jpg

post-16872-0-17238200-1447552701_thumb.jpg

post-16872-0-38083200-1447552710_thumb.jpg

Edited by voonman
  • Like 2

I had mine custom made a while back By Homelandsafes in califonia. i have a 5/8 steel door which is more than half an inch of steel and a 1/4" steel body..It works very well..

attachicon.gifhomeland2.jpg

attachicon.gifhomeland3.jpg

attachicon.gifhomeland1.jpg

Might I ask what the price point is on something like that?

With shipping to my doorstep around $2200.00 ..The good thing about this company is that you can custom build it..so if you want 1" of steel they can do it also .if you want stainless steel inbetween for torch protection, you can add that also.The safe is a unibody safe ..it is all one piece of steel bent to shape.Not welded on each corner.

attachicon.gifhomeland2.jpg

attachicon.gifhomeland3.jpg

attachicon.gifhomeland1.jpg

Homeland, went to web site, models, looks and specs are identical  (Except Decal) to my Patriot Safe bought in 2000. Be the 60x40x27 Level VII model, Patriot disappeared earlier this year. California company also. Great safe, insurance co. gave max. discount on itemized weapons stored. Exceeds specs for their purposes.

Edited by Ruffian72

Liberty makes some good safes.

They most certainly do.  Picked me up a 'Presidential' level Liberty a couple years ago.  Cost a couple $Ks, but it was a relatively easy decision considering how much $$ I have invested in several of my firearms; I think it unwise to store for safekeeping a firearm costing well over a thousand dollars inside of a safe that costs less.  But that's just me; I'm kinda silly that way.  021.gif

IMG_0670_zpsr8mdjqh6.jpg

IMG_0672_zpsjfm7ltry.jpg

The pics were taken just after the safe's delivery and install.  Presently, I've reached max inside storage capacity for it sad.png.  There's an old saying to procure a firearms safe that can accommodate twice as many firearms (if not more) as you believe you'll own.... I can attest to that saying being accurate.

Like, my entire home may burn down to the ground around it.... but I have great confidence that everything inside of this safe will be reasonable protected.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3

I can believe spending the $ on a safe, and not I'm not knocking that.  Atleast I'm not talking a carry-on cabinet.  I dont plan on storing ammo in the safe, well besides mags full and ready to go.  Its bad enough I have to reach up to pull down my 50cal ammo cans loaded to the brim.  And I'm talking its 7ft above the floor.

^^^^ ah but what are the rings and knives in?

I still have room enough inside the safe for those (and the safe came with a sliding jewelry drawer).  What I have actually run out of space for within, is for long guns.

• Like 4