been working on this a a little each night. I cut out the factory rear trunion and brace and replaced it with a polish rear trunion. To mount the rear trunion i tapped all the holes to 10-32. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the rear turnion for the "cross member" and tapped the cross member out to 8-32. I havn't permemently mounted the screws yet. Im going to use red locktite.once im ready. Right now the trunion is just jb welded in place. Im using jb weld to smooth everything out and just painting with duplicolor 1634

post-40870-0-61018900-1334454283_thumb.jpg

post-40870-0-14495700-1334454333_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

sad to say, i screwed this up. I don't have any gunsmithing experience at all. I stuck the rear trunion under the rails instead of interlocking like they should. This made the bolt sit way too low. I didn't figure it out untill i got it 99% done and the dust cover wouldn't fit on. I had to take it all back apart, weld all the holes shut and start over

sad to say, i screwed this up. I don't have any gunsmithing experience at all. I stuck the rear trunion under the rails instead of interlocking like they should. This made the bolt sit way too low. I didn't figure it out untill i got it 99% done and the dust cover wouldn't fit on. I had to take it all back apart, weld all the holes shut and start over

That sucks but at least you were able to fix it. I'm wanting to do this to a saiga pretty bad.

at this point its already been fixed, The convsion is actually better quality because it did happen. So it wasn't all bad. The new rear trunnion holes dind't line up with the old holes, so i had redrilled them next to the old holes and then after the trunion was mounted filled everything with jb weld. It came out smooth and probably would have been just fine, but now there is no holes being filled with filler. I only had to skim coat with jb weld so i could block sand it down and have it nice and smooth. It was cheap too. I bought a welder from home depot, did all my welding and returned it when i was done. Didn't cost a dime. This wasn't my plan, i was planning to keep the welder, but i thought it was junk and ordered a nicer one on line. Got a hobard handler 140 coming in the mail now.

in other positive news, i discoverd my screw up before my locktite fully cured

heres how it looks like right now. Looks pretty rough ATM, but i promise that is just a very thin skim coat of jb weld. It'll polish up real nice

post-40870-0-73588500-1335158200_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well i got it mostly done. Still a few things to do, such as the magazine catch and bullet guide. The mag in this picture isn't actually in there, just in there for the picture. I also need to finish the wood. I just stuck the wood on to see how it fit.

post-40870-0-22837500-1336050663_thumb.jpg

• Like 1