How does the Ruger Mini-30 compare to the AK platform?

The AR vs. AK comparison is being well covered in the thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/76392-in-the-ak-vs-ar-comparisons/

As a result, I have pretty much been able to talk a close friend out of purchasing an AR as a, more or less, "boutique" weapon. However, he's not sold on the AK (probably a misplaced ego problem).

How do y'all feel about the Ruger Mini-30? In your experience how well does it compare to the AK as a 7.62 X 39 platform?

If this has been covered adequately, elsewhere, I apologize and would appreciate your pointing me in the direction of any appropriate threads.

Many thanks in advance of your input!

In it's standard form, other than caliber, completely different platforms.

But, put it in an aftermarket polymer stock with pistol grip and folding and/or collapsible stock, and you're getting pretty close.

Both about the same in accuracy, AK would win in all other aspects.

I have a nice Mini-14 ranch rifle, and would love to have the 30, for it's hitting power.

Pros:

• Available in stainless
  • Sight directly down the top of the barrel
  • Ambidextrous safety that does not require shifting firing grip to deactivate
  • Doesn't have the negative public perception of the AK or AR
  • Adjustable gas system available in aftermarket
  • US made, so no 922r crap, plus you are supporting US jobs
  • Butler creek side folder is pretty nice, and easy to find/ install.
  • You can exchange the barrel without a shop press, but probably not a lot of choices.

Cons:

• Uncommon,
  • Hard to find mags, therefore not cheap either.
  • Mags are still retarded rock n lock.
  • Cost.
  • You do have to shift firing grip to engage safety.
  • Bolt handle is on the wrong side for right handed shooters.
  • about the same accuracy as an AK
  • Action is still very open to the elements
  • Side mount scope, and same poor mounting locations as an AK for other accessories.
  • Doesn't have the instant recognition as a scary gun factor of an AK or AR
  • AK purists will hassle you, in order to supplement their fragile manhood. Ditto AR guys

Edited by GunFun

Be careful with the mini 30! Some of the older ones had a .308 dia barrel vs the .310 or .311dia making it really hard on barrels if you shoot bulk steel case or milsurp ammo. The Rugers are "snob" guns that are way overpriced and will only shoot grade A ammo... If you're looking for an all around reliable/SHTF gun, look elseware...

• Like 1

The AR vs. AK comparison is being well covered in the thread:

http://forum.saiga-1...ar-comparisons/

As a result, I have pretty much been able to talk a close friend out of purchasing an AR as a, more or less, "boutique" weapon. However, he's not sold on the AK (probably a misplaced ego problem).

How do y'all feel about the Ruger Mini-30? In your experience how well does it compare to the AK as a 7.62 X 39 platform?

If this has been covered adequately, elsewhere, I apologize and would appreciate your pointing me in the direction of any appropriate threads.

Many thanks in advance of your input!

Dude an AR is not a boutique weapon...get off your high horse...AR and AK are both great weapons...they are different because they were designed for a completely different purpose and different times

• Like 4

Does your friend have any other rifles? If not, the only Ruger he should be buying right now is a 10/22. What does he want his rifle to do? Ruger makes some interesting semi-auto centerfires; none of them are work-horse grade IMO. Will it work if you need it? Yes, but that doesn't mean better options don't exist. I could play an entire game of golf with a pitching wedge and a putter, but why the hell would I put myself through that if better options exist.

AR vs AK has been done to death. Find out what you want out of your rifle and make a choice. Both platforms have plenty of after market crap to slap on them, but everyone's favorite accessory is ammunition because it's embarrassing to have a $1,000+ weapon system and not be able to hit anything with it. If you talked me out of a quality AR and into a mini-30, I would be more than a little upset.

• Like 2

Dude an AR is not a boutique weapon...get off your high horse...AR and AK are both great weapons...they are different because they were designed for a completely different purpose and different times

Whoa..Hun, my "horse," as you say, has wooden legs and curved runners. What I tried to express (and, perhaps, this is not easily understood in "Hun" terms) is it would be a boutique, ego driven weapon, for him. He is not gun savvy and is easily influenced by the overwhelming numbers of AR's at local gun shows.

Interesting that you say the AR and AK were designed for different purposes. Can't imagine what you mean by that. Their capabilities are somewhat different because of their calibers but their purpose is very much the same.

Edited by DrDyno

Does your friend have any other rifles? If not, the only Ruger he should be buying right now is a 10/22. What does he want his rifle to do? Ruger makes some interesting semi-auto centerfires; none of them are work-horse grade IMO. Will it work if you need it? Yes, but that doesn't mean better options don't exist. I could play an entire game of golf with a pitching wedge and a putter, but why the hell would I put myself through that if better options exist.

AR vs AK has been done to death. Find out what you want out of your rifle and make a choice. Both platforms have plenty of after market crap to slap on them, but everyone's favorite accessory is ammunition because it's embarrassing to have a $1,000+ weapon system and not be able to hit anything with it. If you talked me out of a quality AR and into a mini-30, I would be more than a little upset.

Thanks, Salmonking. No, he does not have another rifle. He has a 12-guage he's never fired and a CZ85 he has reasonable range time with. He and his wife are already stickpiling food for what he sees as the imminent breakdown of our society. In all other respects he's a pretty good guy and a good friend. I just don't see him taking care of his weapons the way I would expect an AR guy to. Your advice is well taken.

You are asking whether to buy a Saiga or a Ruger on a Saiga forum. I don't think you'll get much support for the Ruger.

That being said, if I were going to spend that much money, I would just go the extra mile and get an AR. The Ruger costs too much for what it is, especially when you can have a comparable Saiga that is so much cheaper.

• Like 1

well a friend of mine has one and its not very impressive. he has had several light primer strikes using east german, tula and some wolf loads. mostly east german though. its not a terrible rifle, but id take an AK over one anyday. too many parts to disassemble for cleaning. overall i dont really feel that its worth the steep price for it. maybe 4-500 bucks, but not upwards of 700.

Everyone should have a 22lr. Tell him to get a 10/22. If he NEEDS a hard hitting centerfire rifle, get a decent grade mosin nagant and 880 rounds of ammunition. Learn how to clean and shoot both.

If he's preparing for any survival situation, remember this one simple truth; no one wants to be shot.

I owned a stainless mini 30 for a little while.

It was a stout, sturdy little gun, simple mechanism. Very compact and easy to operate, great for the less-than-obsessed gun owner.

A really fine choice for your friend if he's not going to purchase a weapon "family" to share parts, etc.

I sold mine to a friend who craved it for his collection.

A plus that few people mention is that it is not an "evil black rifle" and so if a low key image counts it can be a factor.

Everyone should have a 22lr. Tell him to get a 10/22. If he NEEDS a hard hitting centerfire rifle, get a decent grade mosin nagant and 880 rounds of ammunition. Learn how to clean and shoot both.

If he's preparing for any survival situation, remember this one simple truth; no one wants to be shot.

True story. Have him get a 10/22 or remy 597 or model 60 or any other reliable 22 platform. Buy 5000 rounds and shoot the crap out of that. Then buy a centerfire rifle. If its a combat weapon used to defend himself and family. Stick with something in the relaible AR(we've gone over this in te other thread and pms) or AK realm. Buy as many mags as he can. (I have almost 40 for each platform). And practice practice practice.

• Like 1

I have both & enjoy shooting both rifles. The advantage with the Saiga is that it'll eat any ammo you feed it. My mini 30 likes Silver/Golden Bear as opposed to other brands. Tula is the worse with about a 25% failure to fire rate.

Cost wise I was able to convert the Saiga, get ammo, surplus mags, etc...for the cost of my Ruger. Best price on factory 20 round mags are $25 a piece from Buds or Hoffmans. So compare that to $8 combloc or chugo mags!

You are asking whether to buy a Saiga or a Ruger on a Saiga forum. I don't think you'll get much support for the Ruger.

Well, Stacks, just imagine what I'd get on a Ruger forum.

There are ruger forums?

I can imagine how those threads go....

RUGERFAN3: I'm buying a used redhawk, I think I'll keep it stock.

RUGERFAN89: Yes, that's best, I have a stock GP101

SUPERUGERFAN: I also have some stock rugers, I might buy more though, they're very serviceable.

RUGERFAN978: I'm going to buy a new hardcase for 3 screw blackhawk

RUGERFAN3: RIDICULOUS!

RUGERFAN89: Troll

SUPERUGERFAN: I hate it when people say stupid shit just to get a reaction

RUGER1SUPERMODERATOR: This thread is closed! No, the WHOLE FORUM IS CLOSED!!!

• Like 8

Well, Stacks, just imagine what I'd get on a Ruger forum.

There are ruger forums?

I can imagine how those threads go....

RUGERFAN3: I'm buying a used redhawk, I think I'll keep it stock.

RUGERFAN89: Yes, that's best, I have a stock GP101

SUPERUGERFAN: I also have some stock rugers, I might buy more though, they're very serviceable.

RUGERFAN978: I'm going to buy a new hardcase for 3 screw blackhawk

RUGERFAN3: RIDICULOUS!

RUGERFAN89: Troll

SUPERUGERFAN: I hate it when people say stupid shit just to get a reaction

RUGER1SUPERMODERATOR: This thread is closed! No, the WHOLE FORUM IS CLOSED!!!

EXACTLY! 021.gif

Hey. That's stupid. I have gotten pretty useful information on how to address the deficiencies off of the 10/22 from a 10/22 specific forum. Those guys went to stupid lengths to modify and customize guns that cost less than $200 new.

• Like 1

This forum used to be about folks helping folks.

But now it seems to be just nonsensical sarcasm and bullshit from people who havnt even torn apart their rifles and have tainted firearm knowledge.

PS -not directed at Gary's awesome use of emoticons

• Like 2

But now it seems to be just nonsensical sarcasm and bullshit from people who havnt even torn apart their rifles and have tainted firearm knowledge.

I see the same thing hutch.

Dyno, You could do some research on the fuckin web. We all ask our questions that may be dumb to others. Thats all cool, but for goodness sakes be humble. You have what, like 39 posts? Listen to what some of these guys have to say, you may learn something.

If we still had the 'thumbs down' feature on this forum, you would be drummed out like a white guy at a black panthers rally. Im not just talkin about this thread either.

Edited by Boomsick42
  • Like 1

Dyno, You could do some research on the fuckin web. We all ask our questions that may be dumb to others. Thats all cool, but for goodness sakes be humble. You have what, like 39 posts? Listen to what some of these guys have to say, you may learn something.

If we still had the 'thumbs down' feature on this forum, you would be drummed out like a white guy at a black panthers rally. Im not just talkin about this thread either.

Don't sugar coat it.

I do agree that these "which is better, chocolate or vanilla" threads seem to go nowhere, but I am drawn to them like a moth to a car wreck.

• Like 1

Don't sugar coat it.

I do agree that these "which is better, chocolate or vanilla" threads seem to go nowhere, but I am drawn to them like a moth to a car wreck.

FYI its YOUR sarcasm and nonsensical bullshit I speak of.

Was that whole fake ruger forum rant necessary and did it contribute anything to the thread? No.

You're a troll. End of story. And it will get you banned

Dear Broomsick,

I started this thread by asking an honest question of folks in a forum who may have the answer. I am not responsible for how others use the space. My responses have all been made in the same vein as the posts I've responded to, usually with some attempt at humor. If you're too dumb to get that, go play in someone else's thread.

And, as to "humble," take a look at your insultingly stupid avatar. I did my time for this country, asshole, did you?

Edited by DrDyno

I think this is actually a really interesting comparison thread.

The Mini 30 and the AK have a lot in common. Both are:

• rugged
  • simple
  • reliable
  • compact
  • decently accurate
  • a little difficult to customize
  • take very sturdy magazines

It's a much closer comparison than all the AK/AR, FAL/G3, AUG/P90, MP5/UZI debates that attract so much attention.

If the Mini 30 cost about $200 less or took AK mags the choice between the two would get harder.

• Like 1