Russian Optics Red Dot Battery Test

I started a red dot battery test two weeks ago and have been keeping track of the results on http://russianoptics.net/Battery.html

The test began Sunday 4/1/2012 at 09:00, this first run is for MAX brightness

Batteries used are Duracell 3v DL 1/3N Lithium Battery Model 10315 (CR357 style), Duracell AAA Model MN24000 and Duracell 1.5v AA Model MN1500 (good old copper tops). The plan was to check the brightness twice a day and record the results.

After the max brightness test is complete I'll try to run it again on about 75% brightness and see where they end up. The optics are being left in the garage and subject to daily temperature changes. While I don't count this as field conditions it's better than sitting in the house under air conditioning all day.

Test includes these optics (Kobra had a failure and is not part of the test now)

DL 1/3N models

PK01-Vi

PK-AS

PK23

PK-A (Original grey model)

AA models

Kobra EKP-1S-03M (Dot and Chevron reticule)

PK01-VS

PK01-VM

PK-A (Venezuelan grey model)

AAA model

PK01-V

RedDotBatteryTest.JPG

More info on the red dots here

As of 4/15/12 the results are:

PK01-V.......................14 days and still on

PK01-VS....................14 days and still on

PK-A Venezuelan.....14 days and still on

PK23...........................80 hours

PK-A original.............96 hours

PK01-Vi......................96 hours

PK01-VM...................120 hours

PK-AS........................125 hours

Kobra: Not tested

Z

Edited by TX-Zen
  • Like 1

17.5 days PK01-V, PK01-VS and PK-A Venezuela

That's 420 hours, all 3 optics have exceeded their published specs

Love your site Zen! You should publicize it more!

Working on it, takes time to get the word out. Still trying to figure out search engine optimization ;)

Z

Very cool. So maybe the flickering reticle on the 23 is hard on batteries.

Evidently. I'll have to toss in a fresh set of batteries and confirm this for myself. Remember though, that Zen's results are based on constant MAX brightness which is rarely if ever necessary to actually use on the PK-23; in part because of the blinking reticle, which naturally attracts the eye.

All that said, ~80 hrs off a couple small, cheap batteries ain't bad. Also, I use my 23 on a qd mount, (which it came with), so I can't imagine it'd ever be a problem. ;)

Thank you for the data, Zen.

Very cool. So maybe the flickering reticle on the 23 is hard on batteries.

Evidently. I'll have to toss in a fresh set of batteries and confirm this for myself. Remember though, that Zen's results are based on constant MAX brightness which is rarely if ever necessary to actually use on the PK-23; in part because of the blinking reticle, which naturally attracts the eye.

All that said, ~80 hrs off a couple small, cheap batteries ain't bad. Also, I use my 23 on a qd mount, (which it came with), so I can't imagine it'd ever be a problem. wink.png

Thank you for the data, Zen.

+1 to this, in practice I think PK23 would work fine at much lower brightness than other dots precisely because of the flickering and that will get you more than 80 hours continuous at max. In actuality the PK23 dimmed noticeably in the first two/three days but the flickering dot is exactly why it was still usable.

Also +1 to the QD, IMO it's a good idea for any optic to be QD in the event of big trouble. This is why I like side rail optics that block the irons because it's a couple seconds tops to remove the optic if it goes tits up.

And continuing to sound like a broken record, but PK01-V, PK01-VS and PK-A Venezuela still going strong.

18.5 days, 445 hours as of 10pm CST tonight

Z

PK01-VS and PK-A Venezuela: 21 days / 504 hours

I think PK01-V is too faint to acquire the dot against light backgrounds in full sunlight as of 4/22/12. I'd call it 500 hours under any conditions. The dot is still usable against most contrasting backgrounds but not very light ones.

I'll keep the test running to see when the dot fades out.

PK01-VS is super bright and PK-A Venezuela starting to fade against light backgrounds in full sunlight

Z

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Awesome post TX and awesome website as well

Thanks for taking your time to do these tests and post results.

Ps. Very very very jealous of you're collection of Russian optics! I'll give you my info so you can put me down as the beneficiary;)!!

• 4 weeks later...

08JUN12

68 days / 1645 hours 22:00 CST

PK01-VS and PK-A Venezuela

02JUN12

62 days / 1500 hours 21:00 CST

29MAY12

58 days / 1402 hours 19:00 CST

25MAY12

54 days / 1307 hours 20:00 CST

21MAY12

50 days / 1211 hours 20:00 CST

1200+ hours at max brightness

1000 hours is not the norm for any Russian red dot I've seen yet except these two. This has been an interesting test and an eye opener

Z

That is so unreal and so hard to take.

If someone had told me on the street about this I would just grin and walk away.

To me "seeing" your test makes much easier to take in and believe.

Thank you very much!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Eastwave has Kobras for $419, but their shipping cost is awful. Kalinka has them for $449, but they will ship for around $12. Too bad you just missed Kalinka's 15% off sale which would have taken about $65 off their price . . . still too rich for my likes though. Perhaps you can call them and ask "what happened to your 15% of sale?", maybe they will still give you the sale price.

Sights should not present any 922® concerns.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday evening the battery test was completed, with PK-A Venezuela becoming the winner of the red dot test. The test was started on April 1st at 09:00 CST (Not an April Fools joke) and PK-A Venezuela lasted 157 days at maximum brightness before the battery finally died. The runner up is PK01-VS at 153 days. Both of these are AA powered optics and are two of the most modern ones that I know of.

I have to say I'm surprised at how long these two optics lasted at max brightness. My previous experience was that most of them seemed to day around 4-5 days but it's pretty evident the power technology has dramatically improved in these latest optics. As I always say I still prefer the collimator types over the red dots but these two are very impressive to say the least. Both are rare but I'm hoping we may see them imported more regularly in the future.

AKRedDotBatteryLifeTestRussianOpticsDotNET.jpg

*My Kobra was not tested due to circuitry issues. (A good test is HERE)

PK-A Venezuela - 157 days / 3768 hours

PK-A_Venez_SGL31_LeftClose01.JPG

PK01-VS - 153 days / 3672 hours

PK01-VS-x2_rifles.JPG

EKP-1S-03M - 37 days / 900 hours

Kobra-EKP-1S-03M_AKSU.JPG

PK01-V - 21 days / 500 hours

PK01-V_SGL31LeftClose01.jpg

PK-AS - 125 hours

PK-AS_AKSU_SVDPad.JPG

PK01-VM - 120 hours

PK01-VM_SGL31Left01.jpg