Greetings, all. I just purchased my first Saiga .223 rifle two weeks ago. I have already purchased some items for it, but I made quite a few mistakes in doing so. First, I wish I would have just done the trigger conversion right away. I put a collapsible magpul stock with built in pistol grip and intrafuze tri-rail grip on the front. Now that I am done, the gun feels ridiculously long, the trigger pulls awkwardly, and I can barely reach my grip-pod on the fore-end with it mounted far enough forward to allow magazine clearance. So I basically just threw away $150 and have to redo about everything.

Now I've ordered a new Magpul butt stock and G2 trigger conversion kit, as well as a bullet guide. I guess I'll call this mod 1. As part of this, and after shooting the rifle the first time, I have also come to realize, I despise the stock iron sights. Being ex-military, I much prefer the aperture and post sights of an AR, or the diopter post sights of an HK. I just can't in good conscience leave the daisy-red-ryder rear leaf sight on my rifle.

Here is what I envision. I could use some guidance from those in the know. I want a UTG style top rail that basically runs from the back of the dust cover, all the way to the gas block, leaving a sight rail with the same plane across the top of the entire rifle upon which I can mount whatever sights I want. I have looked at some different products on-line, like the Texas Dog-leg, or beryl style top rail, and the front gas tube with integrated top rail. Does anyone know of either a one-piece rail, or a combination dust cover/gas tube rail set up that creates a same plane across the top of the rifle? Then I want to remove the front post sight. Am I correct in assuming that to remove the fron sight and shroud, all you have to do is punch out the two pins going through it, or is there more? Then, I'll thread the barrel and add a break. Any advice would be welcomed.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I run a quad rail that I'm not sure the make of as I purchased it used and paired it up with a beryl top rail. Its pretty close and as long as you get an adjustable front sight that raises enough it is usable.

Plus the berly rail mount does adjust slightly with a allen screw near the front mount point. Just sight your irons in and then mark where you have the rear rail mount then re-screw it in with some permanent thread locker and you should be golden.

To view my setup go to my profile and check my pictures. I believe I have 2-3 pictures with the current setup.