Different cartridge - different magazine.

5.45x39 is plentiful - in both corrosive military surplus and non-corrosive steel-cased commercial ammo. Military surplus 5.56/.223 magazines are bit less common, and hence more expensive, than 5.45x39 magazines. Galil magazines can work very well for a .223 model. A 5.45x39 rifle will happily use any surplus AK-74 magazine.

In general, using military surplus magazines will require the installation of a bullet guide. Some folks with 5.45x39 models get lucky and report smooth function without a bullet guide.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • Like 1

Thank you for the information. I do have 1 reservation about the 5.45x39mm because I can only find it made

by Tulammo and Wolf. No US company.

It's a com bloc ammo size, and I think the only ammo is from Russia or third world surplus. Still knida cheap to buy, but when it's gone it's gone.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the information. Shandlanos you are right.

To solve my problem the dealer has got (on order) the Saiga 223 IZ-114.

Will not have a problem with ammo now.rolleyes.gif

Outstanding super_man.gif

Hornady purchases steel cases from overseas, and loads them with a bullet they are very proud of, charging excessive amounts of money for the resulting cartridge.

They are pretty proud of them

Yeah... They're here in Nebraska. Asshats want almost full price for factory second projectiles, because they "don't want to undersell their retailers." Horse shit. Other bullet manufacturers sell factory seconds much cheaper than stuff that passes QC and goes into the retail channel. I thought it'd be nice to pick up some inexpensive factory seconds (jacketed 9mm bullets were the primary aim) by driving a few hours up to the plant. Nope. Ended up being cheaper to buy factory new stuff that actually passed QC from another company AND pay shipping.

Edited by Shandlanos