So, which one would be good for typical Saiga and firearm related mods? Corded, cordless? Is a certain model better suited than another and do they all share the same bits?

Looking at a corded one on craigslist that says barely used for only $20... Has case and original bits...

Thanks for the help.

5Gc5Fc5J23Mf3I53Hcc430968bb1052a918bf.jpg

Edited by Pyzik

Thanks for all the comments. I was kinda leaning corded already. I bought a whole cordless tool set last year (circular saw, drill, sander & light... left more than something to be desired).

Cheap corded, variable with lots of bits. We've burned up several dremel brand ones. They are nicer, but they don't last much longer than the $30 kit from costco that comes with a bunch of bits. A carbide rotary file ~ 5/16" and Diamond cutting wheels are very useful. A few spare arbors is useful too.

I have a corded and cordless Dremel. The corded one I've put through hell in the past about 16 + years, keeps on tickin'. Had her literally smoking a few different times. I like the cordless one if I need to be mobile and cut through some steel. It definately doesn't have the power the corded one does. If I cut something and put a little too much pressure on it, it cuts out momentarily, which sometimes gets to be a pain in the ass as the cutting disk grabs whatever I'm cutting if I push a little too hard or don't keep it straight as I cut.

I have a corded black and decker dremel, it is able to accept all the dremel attachments. I purchased this about 5 years or so ago and it had served me well.

Black and Decker RTX B-3 speed RTX Rotary Tool With Storage Bag $19.99 @ Amazon

With battery tools you are mainly buying the battery.

Cheap ones have cheap batteries.

A cheap corded dremmel is more powerful than a good cordless - there is full power all the time with a cord, batteries only have full power for a SHORT time and then loose it quickly. More expen$ive one last longer, but still are limited to what power the battery has stored.

A good corded tool will last decades -if you do not abuse it.

With ANY motorized tool, do NOT bog the motor. If you are forcing the tool, it actually works slower! (and burns up motors!)

Hello

I use a "RotoZip" with a flexible shaft (made by the same company as the Dremel) with about twice the torque and H.P. of any Dremel tool, and so far at least twice the lifespan (for me, anyway)

But since I hate replacing tools that crap out on me I also have a Foredom flex-shaft tool that just kicks ass.

Even if you don't want to drop the cash on a Foredom motor and shaft (with way cool foot pedal speed control) the made in USA Foredom bits beat the dog shit outa anything China produces for Dremel. And they are about the same price or even cheaper, with a much better selection.

Foredom bits are simply on a whole different level than anything else available.

Available in 3/32", 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4" shafts.

JMHO....

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

• Like 1

IMHO, the only electrical devices that should use batteries are bedroom toys. Even then, it's only because they're safer.

So I'm supposed to explain to the wife why she has to get rid of the two phase socket in the bedroom?

Maybe I can talk her into golf cart batteries?

Well, I'm not going to delve too deeply into the subject because it could indeed get sticky. However, if you do find the need to use corded electrical appliances (such as blenders, toasters, wet vacs, and whatnot) in that particular room then I would strongly recommend a GFI protected circuit as a minimum safety feature.

I could go but perhaps shouldn't.

• Like 1

If you're planning on butchering a fiream with it, wait until you have mastred the basic file and other hand tools before using it. Removing material is easier than putting it back.

Thanks. I have been taking care of everything on my rifle with hand files and that is getting old.