I think this video is a must see, even if you're not in the market for a flash hider atm.

As I was looking for a new flash hider for my Golani I came across it. Awesome company.

After watching it my choice of flash hider is clear. Not only is the Vortex the best in function, (according to many knowledgeable sources) but after I found out Smith Enterprises gives them away free to our troops who have to pay out of pocket, I couldn't give my money to anybody else. Of course I can't find them as cheap as they say in the video, but still less than $60 is a pretty good price for quality.

http://www.youtube.c...bed/0TPpsIw7IwE

Edited by XD45
  • Like 1

As much as I hate AAC I have a blackout silver soldered on my M4gery to make it 16 1/8th

It's also the best rated for flash reduction on the market .

2nd is the standard ar/m16 birdcage.

There is a independent study that was done over on frugalsquirrels where the used night vision,FLIR,Thermal, and standard no light video.

With the blackout coming in 1st with absolutly NO signature. you could see the gun warm up with the thermal but no flash. the birdcage had a signature of about a match head.

Everything else was unacceptable. on all video footage. The night vision and regular day time camera being the worst.

I will check that vid. But the vid I posted above shows subztantial flash with the birdcage.

I also saw a vid testing the blackout vs vortex vs birdcage. Both blackout and vortex had substantial reductions in flah with the birdcage very noticable. The blackout definately edged the vortex in that test but the difference was slight.

I can see picking the blackout as the winner but the birdcage sucked in both tests. So any test that shows the birdcage better than the vortex I need to see before I believe.

But do let me say a few words about night vision and thermal imaging...

Both technologies are awesome for what they are designed to do. But what most units are not designed to do is pick up transients such as suppressed muzzle flashes. And of course some standard video cameras will do a better job of picking it up than others.

So no test will be perfect nor will any test that is not controlled for all controlable variables be definative.

Edited by XD45

The only fh I've seen that compares to how well the Vortex works is the Phoenix from Libertycans...

phoenixhider.jpg

You'll notice some obvious similarities there.

The Phoenix, the Vortex, the birdcage, and a few others were reviewed in last year's Complete Book of the AK-47, and as I mentioned, the Vortex and Phoenix performed significantly better than the others, eliminating flash almost completely.

• Like 1

I also use a phoenix. Superior to the vortex for two reasons.

1. It does not make a strange loud tuning fork sound when you use it.

2. It does not snag on brush and wire like the vortex.

The A1 had a similar device on it that was getting hung up on all the time. That's why they replaced it with the covered end on the bird cage. Having it open is not a good idea. Especially for someone who uses it and has a lot of brush and webbing around.

Want your son to not give up his signature at night in Afghanistan? Send him a surefire can with the QD mount.

• Like 2

The A1 had a similar device on it that was getting hung up on all the time. That's why they replaced it with the covered end on the bird cage. Having it open is not a good idea. Especially for someone who uses it and has a lot of brush and webbing around.

Want your son to not give up his signature at night in Afghanistan? Send him a surefire can with the QD mount.

The problem with the 3 prong on the A1was that GIs were using them to open cases of c-rats and kept breaking the prongs.

While nobody questions the signature suppression of a can that isnt the topic here.

• Like 1

The problem with the 3 prong on the A1was that GIs were using them to open cases of c-rats and kept breaking the prongs.

While nobody questions the signature suppression of a can that isnt the topic here.

No it isn't and that's why I didn't chime in with "CAN IT"

I do works for me. my next one is a SRT SHADOW for my remmy 700 PSS in 308.

The Vids I talked about I only saw about a year after I did the silver solder mod to the 14 inch M4 upper.

I only bought the AAC blackout due to leanth compliance of the NFA.

Felt good though to get luck for once on a blind purchase.

• Like 1