138 replies to this topic

#1 JB!

JB!

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

That thing was sweet! The only thing I have to ask is how fast/slow were mag changes for it? I've told many people my 10/22 is my SHTF choice. It'll feed me and not let the whole county know where I am.

on a side note, as a tattooed biker, I hope Vince fares well in his future
  • en93nsx likes this

#2 AZG

AZG

potato

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

OMFG I want one sooooo bad. I think its pretty cool.

I really hope its not terribly over priced. Thing would be a great range toy. Ive been wanting a 10/22. Now I want one even more.
  • yakdung and Dad2142Dad like this

Hodor. - Hodor

#3 DJ Big Dog

DJ Big Dog

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

I love my model 60 Marlin...but I love the ability to tinker with cool stuff like this on a ruger 10/22...
Life is like a box of chocolates, it gets given to some of the most undeserving self rightous bitches you know!

#4 Photoguy

Photoguy

Photoguy

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

I also agree. I want one. Badly.
"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"- Wyatt Earp.

"The Lord is my light; who shall I fear? The Lord is my salvation; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1

"A law upon the public is only enforceable if the public does not resist it." -Me, but I'm sure someone, somewhere, said something similar to this once.

#5 superhawk138

superhawk138

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

My 10/22 needs a new business suit.

#6 Saiga Newbie

Saiga Newbie

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

I bought the 10/22 zombie stock yesterday (impulse buy, the best kind) from RJF and am now trying to sort out which Ruger 10/22 (carbine or target) to buy to put in the bull pup. I'm not going to add a suppressor. Not sure how the thin carbine barrel would look with it's front sight (not sure they are removable). Thus, my leaning toward the target with it's nice thick bull barrel and inherently better accuracy and lighter trigger. However, the heavier barrel might make the bull pup nose heavy. What to do? Thoughts and suggestions?
  • AZG likes this

#7 poolingmyignorance

poolingmyignorance

Saigapathic Maniac

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

I bought the 10/22 zombie stock yesterday (impulse buy, the best kind) from RJF and am now trying to sort out which Ruger 10/22 (carbine or target) to buy to put in the bull pup. I'm not going to add a suppressor. Not sure how the thin carbine barrel would look with it's front sight (not sure they are removable). Thus, my leaning toward the target with it's nice thick bull barrel and inherently better accuracy and lighter trigger. However, the heavier barrel might make the bull pup nose heavy. What to do? Thoughts and suggestions?

What sort of lead time did they give you?
Our 2nd Amendment right is the most important of all, because it ensures us our ability to ultimately govern ourselves.
The ORGINAL Freedom of Religion is freedom FROM religion: My freedom from your religion and your freedom from mine.

**my post are meant to be general reference, and are not meant to be all inclusive. So if you say or atempt any of the actions that my postings reference ..your on your own*

#8 Saiga Newbie

Saiga Newbie

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

None was offered and I assume that the first 400 stocks ordered is a pre-order with manufacturing to follow. I'm not in a hurry for it. Once it arrives, however, I will have to sort out whether I get the carbine or target model to go in it.

#9 Ronin38

Ronin38

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Well, it states on their web site that these will ship around Fall 2012. ;)

They also say it will come with adapters so you can use either the carbine or heavy barrel.

The only two bullpup rifles I've used both seemed pretty tail-heavy... I'd be tempted to get a Target model with the 20" barrel to use with this.

"Well, if you've been watchin, you know what 'gas-operated' means. If you haven't, well... that just tough ain't it?"

-R. Lee Ermey

#10 Saiga Newbie

Saiga Newbie

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

Ronin38, good catch on the estimated ship date. Thanks for that and thought on getting the Target. It's two hundred bucks more than the Carbine but sounds like the quality is there. As an alternative to buying the Target off the shelf, I want to think about to the possibility of doing a custom build versus buying the Target off the shelf. Might be educational and fun to do.

Edited by Saiga Newbie, 23 April 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#11 Photoguy

Photoguy

Photoguy

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Oh, good. Gives me time to acrape the money together for the frame.......and a 10/22, lol!
"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"- Wyatt Earp.

"The Lord is my light; who shall I fear? The Lord is my salvation; of whom shall I be afraid?" - Psalms 27:1

"A law upon the public is only enforceable if the public does not resist it." -Me, but I'm sure someone, somewhere, said something similar to this once.

#12 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:07 AM

There are a lot of nice bull barrels for the 10/22 around. get the cheapest carbine model, and pick up a barrel after you get it. Look on ebay for fluted 10/22 barrels and you will see that your $200 will get you nicer barrels than ruger offers. There's also a really good chance that your local gunshop has a trade in sitting on his shelf that hasn't moved in a long time. People are generally more willing to buy parts and trick out a 10/22 than to buy one with the parts on it, so the whole could be a lot less than the sum of the parts. Since it is a bulpup, get the shortest barrel you can. That's the point of a pup. May as well get one with threads if you would ever consider a can too. (Not an option from ruger) The bull barrels take a lot longer to heat up than the standard from my experience too, which is a plus.

I gotta say, I am impressed. Most RJF products seem generic to me, this looks like nice work, and original. I like this a lot more than the krinker plinker, because it actually can improve the handling of the gun.

#13 Saiga Newbie

Saiga Newbie

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

GunFun, thanks for the sound advise as always. I find your posts to be balanced and intelligent. I'll start stalking my LGS for a used 10/22 and start shopping for that bull barrel with threads. As this bull pup is just a range toy, I will be careful not to over-invest in it (too much).

#14 JB!

JB!

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

+1 on a standard 10/22 and adding a target barrel, it's a tack driver even with the stock trigger. And with a bullpup design I'm thinking there will be a trigger linkage so I'm not sure you'd gain much with a light trigger. I think my barrel is an 18 inch, iirc there was someone that made a threaded .920. Like previously mentioned, go as short as you legally can

#15 DJ Big Dog

DJ Big Dog

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Could a charger target barrel work in the configuration?...maybe a dumb question but I don't know and was wondering what some of youu guys thought...although a charger is a handgun I think...but its a 10/22 receiver...
Life is like a box of chocolates, it gets given to some of the most undeserving self rightous bitches you know!

#16 JB!

JB!

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Could a charger target barrel work in the configuration?...maybe a dumb question but I don't know and was wondering what some of youu guys thought...although a charger is a handgun I think...but its a 10/22 receiver...

Pretty sure they mount differently, otherwise too many people would be running around with illegal guns

#17 Gary

Gary

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Pretty sure they mount differently, otherwise too many people would be running around with illegal guns

Negative. All 10/22-type barrels that fit in the Ruger Charger pistol, will just as readily fit/mount into a standard Ruger 10/22 receiver. A 10/22 barrel can be manufactured in any length. . . the obvious issue becomes whether a sub-16" barrel is installed in a Ruger Charger 'pistol' receiver, or a standard Ruger 10/22 receiver (which would be a no-go without the appropriate NFA paperwork or whatever, since you'd then have a SBR).

So, could you go with a Charger target barrel in this set-up? Absolutely, so long as that barrel is at least 16" long. On that note though, you absolutely could not legally install a Ruger Charger receiver into this RJF stock, because it's illegal (last I heard) to install a rear stock on a pistol, and that is precisely what you'd be doing. Crazy, huh?

Edited by Gary, 25 April 2012 - 11:00 AM.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." ~Edmund Burke

"Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun!"

Posted Image

#18 DJ Big Dog

DJ Big Dog

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Negative. All 10/22-type barrels that fit in the Ruger Charger pistol, will just as readily fit/mount into a standard Ruger 10/22 receiver. A 10/22 barrel can be manufactured in any length. . . the obvious issue becomes whether a sub-16" barrel is installed in a Ruger Charger 'pistol' receiver, or a standard Ruger 10/22 receiver (which would be a no-go without the appropriate NFA paperwork or whatever, since you'd then have a SBR).

So, could you go with a Charger target barrel in this set-up? Absolutely, so long as that barrel is at least 16" long. On that note though, you absolutely could not legally install a Ruger Charger receiver into this RJF stock, because it's illegal (last I heard) to install a rear stock on a pistol, and that is precisely what you'd be doing. Crazy, huh?

As confusing as that looked I understood it. But a charger barrell on a 10/22 would then be a rifle less than legal length, but not registered as a pistol...so sbr paperwork would make a charger barrell on a 10/22 receiver with good paperwork is gtg?

#19 Gary

Gary

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

As confusing as that looked I understood it. But a charger barrel on a 10/22 would then be a rifle less than legal length, but not registered as a pistol...so sbr paperwork would make a charger barrel on a 10/22 receiver with good paperwork is gtg?

I think we're all getting wrapped-around-the-axle regarding what constitutes or defines a "Charger barrel." Any length 10/22 barrel can be used with the Ruger Charger pistol, period. So. . . the term or phrase "Charger barrel" is just a marketing identification thing only.

Case in point, my Ruger Charger pictured below, is fitted with a Volquartsen carbon fiber sleeved 'Charger' barrel (that's how Volquartsen labels and markets this barrel), yet the barrel's length is listed by the company's website as being 16.5 inches long. So, regardless that VQ markets this barrel as a Charger barrel, it can be fitted to any Ruger 10/22 receiver and that firearm will still be legal. Capiche? Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Gary, 25 April 2012 - 08:06 PM.

• DJ Big Dog likes this

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." ~Edmund Burke

"Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun!"

Posted Image

#20 some idiot

some idiot

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

So what do you guys think - is this worth the money ($229 for first 400 orders) for someone looking to get a 10/22? If you were to compare this option with others currently in the market on the basis of expected performance (based on what we have been told about it), price, and dealing with RJF in general, how good a buy is it on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being camp outside their door to get the first one)?

#21 DJ Big Dog

DJ Big Dog

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

So what do you guys think - is this worth the money ($229 for first 400 orders) for someone looking to get a 10/22? If you were to compare this option with others currently in the market on the basis of expected performance (based on what we have been told about it), price, and dealing with RJF in general, how good a buy is it on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being camp outside their door to get the first one)?

I would give it a 5, since I like the idea but am not a bull pup kinda guy. If I wanted to tweak on a 10/22 I could find some pretty good upgrades for that kind of coin...if I want a shorter 10/22 I get the Charger...see so many options that make this a very personal preferance purchase. I know they make some cool stuff and I love watching them rebuild and make improvements to firearms, but this just seems like something I could personally go without. But if you love bull pups and neat looking 22's then it might be a 10 for you.

#22 GunFun

GunFun

Apparently, guy who has made way too many posts.

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

Depends on how much you want it. You will end up with $400-$600 into a .22 without optics which may or may not be finicky with magazines or ammo depending on which way the dice roll. I think it is neat, but I would rather have a Bulgy 5.45.

If you use it lots it is worth it. If not, it is an expensive plinker.
  • DJ Big Dog likes this

#23 Red Jacket

Red Jacket

Citizen

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Joe stole my integ. suppressed .22 barrel to put in one of the rapid prototypes [he said "borrow , but I know better...] I'll have him get a vid of it up and running .
  • Top Gun 96 likes this
www.RedStick-Firearms.com

#24 Saiga Newbie

Saiga Newbie

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

That'd be great, Will. I ordered a 10/22 Target yesterday to go into the ZK-22 that I ordered last week. Don't need suppression and I thought the thick barrel would look even better than the carbine barrel in the stock.

#25 Ronin38

Ronin38

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

^ Please post pics when it's done! :D
  • Saiga Newbie likes this

"Well, if you've been watchin, you know what 'gas-operated' means. If you haven't, well... that just tough ain't it?"

-R. Lee Ermey

#26 XdamagedX

XdamagedX

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

this would also require one of those transferable Norrell trigger packs... then you could be hosing .22's like a super soaker! Posted Image
  • Saiga Newbie likes this
The only thing constant is CHANGE
"Dude, I'm in Michigan... even the Zombies left the state...." - Juggernaut

#27 Red Jacket

Red Jacket

Citizen

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

That'd be great, Will. I ordered a 10/22 Target yesterday to go into the ZK-22 that I ordered last week. Don't need suppression and I thought the thick barrel would look even better than the carbine barrel in the stock.

it really does .

#28 AZG

AZG

potato

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

Just ordered mine this morning. Thanks for extending the $229 deal Posted Image

I'm much obliged.

Hodor. - Hodor

#29 Red Jacket

Red Jacket

Citizen

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Just ordered mine this morning. Thanks for extending the $229 deal Posted Image

I'm much obliged.

no problems , want to try to keep the pre-order price for a bit yet .
  • AZG likes this

#30 SwissyJim

SwissyJim

Saiga Nut

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:50 PM

Hell yeah! Ordered one too... finally found the update for my 10/22. Was thinking the Tommy gun refit, but this thing rocks!
  • AZG likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users