Photo
- - - - -

Will Vepr rifles take standard ak 74 magazines?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tnmarktx

tnmarktx

Today is the day you start fighting for your freedoms

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Wondering if they will take standard ak 74 mags without modification?

#2 WPA

WPA

I sell stuff

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

you will have to do the standard 922r conversion similar to the Saiga. You will have to insall a US made trigger, mag and some sort of bullet guide. Then all you need to do is trim the mag catch to fit.

#3 tnmarktx

tnmarktx

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

you will have to do the standard 922r conversion similar to the Saiga. You will have to insall a US made trigger, mag and some sort of bullet guide. Then all you need to do is trim the mag catch to fit.

Wow! That blows! I have no problem installing a tapco G2 or even buying Tapc mags, which should make the rifle 922r compliant. I'm not real excited about having to install a bullet guide or modifying magazine catches.

Thanks for the info.

#4 WPA

WPA

I sell stuff

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hmm, that is the exact same thing as a Saiga conversion.
  • G O B and Captain Hero like this

#5 tnmarktx

tnmarktx

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Not true per Carolina Shooters Supply, you do not have to trim mag catch for a 5.45 Saiga. You do have to add bullet guide. I would rather machine on a $400 gun than a $600 gun. I like the rear sight on the VEPR and the heavier barrel, but having to file on the mag catch goes beyond ridiculous IMO. I guess If I buy a 5.45 it will be a Saiga and then just do another conversion as I did with my .223.

#6 Jbanda1213

Jbanda1213

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

That is the only way they can get them in the country. So complain to the ATF

V......hahahah

Edited by Jbanda1213, 27 April 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#7 swifttal

swifttal

• 7 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Just did a saiga 5.45 conversion last month - yeah - you're going to have to file the mag catch - takes 5 mins, quit being a girl about it
  • GunFun and Jim Digriz like this

#8 W8lifter

W8lifter

Do u even math?

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Uh, installing a G2 is harder than shaving the mag catch. Don't see what the big deal is.

#9 TJohn

TJohn

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Just did a saiga 5.45 conversion last month - yeah - you're going to have to file the mag catch - takes 5 mins, quit being a girl about it

Not always, I have done two 5.45 Saiga conversions and on one I did not have to touch the mag catch at all; and on the second I just had to do a very slight filing to work with surplus mags (nothing to the extent I had to with the 7.62 or .223 Saiga rifles).

Like others are saying, tnmarktx, the mag catch and bullet guides aren't really that big of deal after you have done one or two.

#10 madmax4x4

madmax4x4

Citizen

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Not true per Carolina Shooters Supply, you do not have to trim mag catch for a 5.45 Saiga. You do have to add bullet guide. I would rather machine on a $400 gun than a $600 gun. I like the rear sight on the VEPR and the heavier barrel, but having to file on the mag catch goes beyond ridiculous IMO. I guess If I buy a 5.45 it will be a Saiga and then just do another conversion as I did with my .223.

They have heavier barrel saigas now also

#11 mavereq

mavereq

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

you can order one from atlantic arms already converted and ready for surplus mags

#12 dmb

dmb

• 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Mag catch on the VEPR II--literally took me less than three minutes to file it ++CAREFULLY++ with a dremel, check for fit, repeat--now the mags lock up tighter than my wife's legs once she was done having babies!

#13 jdubya87

jdubya87

• Contributor
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Anyone have a link to the install procedures for a bullet guide? Are these round or flat trunnion? I know Dinzag has the parts, but how much is involved otherwise? Could I do this with a benchvise and corded drill?

#14 Captain Hero

Captain Hero

American by birth, Gun owner by choice!

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,816 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Anyone have a link to the install procedures for a bullet guide? Are these round or flat trunnion? I know Dinzag has the parts, but how much is involved otherwise? Could I do this with a benchvise and corded drill?

All the ones Ive seen have been round.
Bullet guid info is here:
http://forum.saiga-1...o-saiga-rifles/

And yes you can use a benchvise and a corded drill.

Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't. 022.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users