Will Vepr rifles take standard ak 74 magazines?

you will have to do the standard 922r conversion similar to the Saiga. You will have to insall a US made trigger, mag and some sort of bullet guide. Then all you need to do is trim the mag catch to fit.

Wow! That blows! I have no problem installing a tapco G2 or even buying Tapc mags, which should make the rifle 922r compliant. I'm not real excited about having to install a bullet guide or modifying magazine catches.

Thanks for the info.

Not true per Carolina Shooters Supply, you do not have to trim mag catch for a 5.45 Saiga. You do have to add bullet guide. I would rather machine on a $400 gun than a $600 gun. I like the rear sight on the VEPR and the heavier barrel, but having to file on the mag catch goes beyond ridiculous IMO. I guess If I buy a 5.45 it will be a Saiga and then just do another conversion as I did with my .223.

• 4 weeks later...

Just did a saiga 5.45 conversion last month - yeah - you're going to have to file the mag catch - takes 5 mins, quit being a girl about it

Not always, I have done two 5.45 Saiga conversions and on one I did not have to touch the mag catch at all; and on the second I just had to do a very slight filing to work with surplus mags (nothing to the extent I had to with the 7.62 or .223 Saiga rifles).

Like others are saying, tnmarktx, the mag catch and bullet guides aren't really that big of deal after you have done one or two.

Not true per Carolina Shooters Supply, you do not have to trim mag catch for a 5.45 Saiga. You do have to add bullet guide. I would rather machine on a $400 gun than a $600 gun. I like the rear sight on the VEPR and the heavier barrel, but having to file on the mag catch goes beyond ridiculous IMO. I guess If I buy a 5.45 it will be a Saiga and then just do another conversion as I did with my .223.

They have heavier barrel saigas now also

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a link to the install procedures for a bullet guide? Are these round or flat trunnion? I know Dinzag has the parts, but how much is involved otherwise? Could I do this with a benchvise and corded drill?

All the ones Ive seen have been round.

Bullet guid info is here:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/71167-bullet-guide-install-video-saiga-rifles/

And yes you can use a benchvise and a corded drill.