Regretfully goodbye

Well folks, after repeated calls to RAAC and continued frustrations with my Saiga 223 I've decided to sell it. I love the AK platform and may some day buy another one but after this experience I'm going to have to switch to something more reliable. Maybe I got a lemon, I've got a friend who's AK has never had an issue so i'm not condeming the whole product line. I think I'll just stick with my AR-15 and Ruger 10/22 mag for now.

Thank you to everyone that has tried to help me out over the last few months.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now this is the post that really gets to me.   Let me get this straight. You're a mechanical engineer and you say that means you expect a high level of quality from others rather than yourself and a

Not really, unless you came here from some pansy forum like bARFCOM... In fact, we're really plain speaking, reasonable folks.   I think Post-A is having difficulties with a semanitc of definition.

Posted Images

Very cool. I'd love to have one of those! Does it work good? I've read that they can be finnicky...

Shoots accurately and flawlessly, last weekend I was splitting business cards at 50 yards. I've never had a jam, FTF or stovepipe. I can shoot this all day long.

What are the issues that can't be resolved?

I owned the Saiga for less than a month before I started having the trigger reset issue. I was only able to get in touch with RAAC's answering service. Even after leaving messages and emails I never got a response from them.

Well are you happy with what you got?

Extremely happy. That Armalite is a nail driver, hasn't had any issues and is very clean. I took it hog hunting a few weeks ago and the thing was a beast! Didn't kill any hogs though, on account of not seeing any. I did have fun bump firing it though.

Shoots accurately and flawlessly, last weekend I was splitting business cards at 50 yards. I've never had a jam, FTF or stovepipe. I can shoot this all day long.

Thats cool. Wanna sell it? smile.png

Hmm, I really like this one. I'm not really looking to get rid of it but if the price were right you never know.

Should have just converted and put in a G2,

Yeah I could have and I have the tools to do it but I felt that being a brand new rifle it shouldn't have any problems and it bugged me how terrible RAAC's customer service was so I just said f**k it.

Yeah I could have and I have the tools to do it but I felt that being a brand new rifle it shouldn't have any problems and it bugged me how terrible RAAC's customer service was so I just said f**k it.

Cadiz Gun Works has always done warranty work for RAAC. You should've done a little research before simply giving up. That guy you traded it to probably had it fixed in ~30 sec, properly converted restored in another ~40 min, and whatever gunsmithing experience he had was not required.

Since it sounds like you're unwilling/unable to do basic work on your guns, you're probably better off having traded it. I guess Saigas, (and maybe AKs in general), just aren't for you. smile.png

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 2

Cadiz Gun Works has always done warranty work for RAAC. You should've done a little research before simply giving up. That guy you traded it to probably had it fixed in ~30 sec, properly converted restored in another ~40 min, and whatever gunsmithing experience he had was not required.

Since it sounds like you're unwilling/unable to do basic work on your guns, you're probably better off having traded it. I guess Saigas, (and maybe AKs in general), just aren't for you. smile.png

Whatever man, I installed new furniture and too kthe gun down all the way. The guy gave me a $900 gun for my $500 gun, I think I got the better end of that deal. I don't mind working on my guns but any company that refuses to back up their products is losing my business. I shouldn't have to do any work on a new rifle, and with AR's you never have to.

Trigger re-set issue......sounds like the hammer spring leg was walking, just a quick bend might have fixed it. It's an AK everything is a simple fix on the internals.

I already tried that, I took that gun all the way to the frame, it wasn't the hammer spring. The hammer was out of tolerance and wasn't slipping past the hold back lever and because of the trigger linkage pushing out on the trigger had no effect.

• Like 1

While I agree with the above posts about the fixes being easy, especially the basic conversion.

Yes, you should be able to count on a new product working properly, although I have heard of plenty of people with problems with any kind of gun including ARs.

The thing about a kalasnikov is that QC sucks. There is a fair chance of problems, and crappy service, but no chance of surprises. If you have problems, they will be obious, and the solution will usually be something you can do with a hammer and be done. Almost anyone here would have gladly given you the replacement trigger components for free, if we haven't tossed them. The proper trigger components cost $30 new.

It sounds like you got a great trade in price, and you are happy so good deal.

You did get a good deal in terms of monetary value, yes.

But, like I said, your expectations are based around US rifles, and that doesn't really apply to AKs. It sounds like you should stick to other weapons platforms.

Not trying to poke fun at you post-a but I guess so. My expectations are that the rifle will work reliably out of the box with minimal maintenance. It's great that AK's are easy to work on but if you have to work on them all the time it ends up not being worth it. Besides, I need a primary rifle that I can trust with my life and that AK was not doing the job.

The only thing that took me any real time was the FSB, trigger on a stock sucks ass anyway,

sounds like you got a good trade though, maybe one day you'll have a bit more time and you can get yourself another saiga

gallery_23590_530_1087137.jpg

You did get a good deal in terms of monetary value, yes.

But, like I said, your expectations are based around US rifles, and that doesn't really apply to AKs. It sounds like you should stick to other weapons platforms.

Not trying to poke fun at you post-a but I guess so. *blah, blah, blah I can't/won't work on my rifle*

Poke fun at me?! I'm the one who's been holding back. ;) Please.. I can barely do so anymore. Don't force me to point out the various sad/stupid things you did regarding that .223; except the trade, which you (monetarily) did well on.

Well, the thing is, you don't have to work on most of them at all. For some you do, and the fixes are easy. Once they are fixed, they stay that way, so you aren't working on them all the time, unless it is just because you have an unhealthy need to fiddle with something that already works.

I have other guns that do need constant cleaning just to run. But the saiga 12 just keeps running without surprises. An AK is trustworthy not because all of them always work great, but because you always know whether you have one that works or not.

• Like 2