Regretfully goodbye

You did get a good deal in terms of monetary value, yes.

But, like I said, your expectations are based around US rifles, and that doesn't really apply to AKs. It sounds like you should stick to other weapons platforms.

Not trying to poke fun at you post-a but I guess so. *blah, blah, blah I can't/won't work on my rifle*

Poke fun at me?! I'm the one who's been holding back. wink.png Please.. I can barely do so anymore. Don't force me to point out the various sad/stupid things you did regarding that .223; except the trade, which you (monetarily) did well on.

What on earth are you talking about? Upgrading the butt stock and foregrip I wouldn't call sad/stupid. I'm not looking for anyone's approval regarding my modifications. Personally I think it looks bad-ass.

before and after

post-41457-0-78768200-1335015798_thumb.jpg

post-41457-0-19907100-1335015949_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nor7
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now this is the post that really gets to me.   Let me get this straight. You're a mechanical engineer and you say that means you expect a high level of quality from others rather than yourself and a

Not really, unless you came here from some pansy forum like bARFCOM... In fact, we're really plain speaking, reasonable folks.   I think Post-A is having difficulties with a semanitc of definition.

Posted Images

Alot of guys don't even shoot their Saigas without converting first. I shot 60 rounds out of mine before converting, and I would have not liked the rifle very much if I left it stock. The factory trigger is horrible.

If you were happy with the way the rifle looked then that's great, but I wouldn't exactly call putting new furniture on it a modification.

The Tapco intrafuse thing and Promag aren't a very good look for most...myself included. It needs the TG moved forward and a bullet guide installed.

• Like 1

But, like I said, your expectations are based around US rifles, and that doesn't really apply to AKs. It sounds like you should stick to other weapons platforms.

Not trying to poke fun at you post-a but I guess so. *blah, blah, blah I can't/won't work on my rifle*

Poke fun at me?! I'm the one who's been holding back. wink.png Please.. I can barely do so anymore. Don't force me to point out the various sad/stupid things you did regarding that .223; except the trade, which you (monetarily) did well on.

What on earth are you talking about? Upgrading the butt stock and foregrip I wouldn't call sad/stupid. I'm not looking for anyone's approval regarding my modifications. Personally I think it looks bad-ass.

before and after

*sigh* I will refrain from specifically criticizing each part of your "build" here, and you should thank me for the forbearance.

Forget I said anything, man. Just stick to Rugers and ARs, and you'll be happy. Truly getting AKs is something that don't come natural to ya.

Here's a pic of my favorite Saiga 7.62x39 rifle, which would be nearly identical in 5.56 and 5.45. Take a good, long look, and then maybe you'll begin to "get it". wink.png

m580transferpk23pics025.jpg

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 1

Ya they are big_smile.gif Funny thing is that apart from people reading/writing the posts (ie the gun trade) I bet everyone came out happy. Of course I am one of those crazy guys that never fired my saiga unconverted. Purchased as a project gun and total love for the thing.

wow.... you guys are harsh

Not really, unless you came here from some pansy forum like bARFCOM... In fact, we're really plain speaking, reasonable folks.

I think Post-A is having difficulties with a semanitc of definition.

In MY experience, most AR owners consider simply slapping on parts to be a "build".

Hope that clears things up.

For the record, ignorance is not a pass on this forum, and a LOT of us are supremely sarcastic.

• Like 3

I just find it funny that there are so many passionate people on here obsessing about a firearm that is currently being produced with known issues and defects.

Also, I never said my AK was a 'build', I did cosmetic 'modifications' only.

I am a mechanical engineer at a technology and equipment fabrication company. Which means 1) I expect a high level of quality out of the products I buy 2) I am not afraid to get my hands dirty, I just restored/fixed my Dad's old Winchester lever action .22 mag, this gun is 40 yrs old which gives it reason to malfunction. That Saiga was brand new. I wish I had read up on all these issues before I bought it.

Edited by Nor7

before and after

*sigh* I will refrain from specifically criticizing each part of your "build" here, and you should thank me for the forbearance.

Forget I said anything, man. Just stick to Rugers and ARs, and you'll be happy. Truly getting AKs is something that don't come natural to ya.

Here's a pic of my favorite Saiga 7.62x39 rifle, which would be nearly identical in 5.56 and 5.45. Take a good, long look, and then maybe you'll begin to "get it". wink.png

Haha, take a good long look at what? A standard AK with synthetic stock and a cheap a$$ scope on it? You call that a 'build'? That looks just like my buddy's AK who hasn't done ANY 'builds' to his. I honestly don't think you 'get' the AK. You honestly think that drilling out a couple of rivets and bolting on a new trigger that arrives in a package makes you some sort of master mechanic/gunsmith? Have you ever had to float a barrel, assemble a rifle from a kit of parts or refinish an old oak stock?Do you know anything about the history of American and Russian firearms? Do you even know what AK stands for? Do you know what AR stands for? (if anyone says it stands for 'assault rifle' I will slap them)

Well dude, i REALLY don't think the Saiga is for you. i'm still fiddling with shit 3 years later. hell i've had days when i just wish i'd bought an AR

having a saiga is really a lot of work. but i think it pays off. anyway AR-15's are cool too

All insults aside, I'm not sure what you were all that upset about in regards to your .223's behavior. It's pretty well known that the rifle in its factory configuration is basically a kludge, a design modification made hastily with the express purpose of exporting the rifle to a foreign market that requires legal loopholes to sell in. Your complaints about the rifle's performance revolve around your dissastisfaction with what is once more, basically a kludged design that would never have been made had it not been a requirement to make the rifle available to an entire market.

The majority of people buying Saigas on this site buy them with the intention of returning the internal mechanics of the rifle to their intended configuration. If you don't want to do that, fine. However, I think most of us are fully aware of how poor the design is of the factory Saiga FCG. It looks bad, it performs bad, and it's easy to fix. We buy them because once you address these basic issues, you have an extremely high-quality AK, available in various calibers, from the original Russian factory, and for a fraction of the price. Yes, we generally also buy them to tinker as well.

The modifications you made to your rifle did nothing to address the design issues that are present in the factory FCG, and so this is why you have people saying that your modifications were "useless." From a standpoint of addressing the FCG functionality issues, they ARE. Otherwise, I don't think anyone really cares what you do with your rifle. There are plenty of rifles on this forum with all sorts of wild shit attached to them, but on the other hand, most of these people also converted the FCG and got the problems with the factory design out of the way immediately.

Yes, your rifle was "brand new," however it was brand new with a poor FCG design that generally should be eliminated, and is discussed at length at almost every single discussion involving a newcomer Saiga buyer. Buyer beware? I don't know. Did you do your research before buying a Saiga?

Nobody blames you for getting rid of the rifle if your reasoning is simply that you didn't want to convert it. Not everyone has the time to do it, even if they have the skills. However I don't think most people here appreciate having their efforts to improve their rifles bashed. No, converting the FCG is not top-dollar gunsmith work, but it's not as easy as putting together IKEA furniture, either.

I'm trying to say this all as politely as possible.. No offense meant.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

(if anyone says it stands for 'assault rifle' I will slap them)

(poke poke) .....it stands for assualt rifle naaaa.giflaugh.png

LOL Sorry couldnt help myself, had to say it tongue.png

• Like 2

LOL Sorry couldnt help myself, had to say it tongue.png

*insert digital pimp slap here* boxing.gif

You may just fit in here after all... LOL... Until then: (pay attention jbonzai)

post-20073-0-05597900-1335218930_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

before and after

Haha, take a good long look at what? A standard AK with synthetic stock and a cheap a$$ scope on it? You call that a 'build'? That looks just like my buddy's AK who hasn't done ANY 'builds' to his.*blah blah ridiculous bullshit blah*

You don't even know what the fuck you're looking at. Really, it's pathetic.

Piss off now, fool. You're dismissed. ;)

Piss off now, fool. You're dismissed. wink.png

Don't worry, after seeing the caliber of people like this on this forum I won't be coming back. You have fun with your yawn-inspiring 'build' there post-a. Good luck defending your property against a hoard of looters or zombies when the shit hits the fan with a gun you have to continuously tinker with. anger.gif And when you're ready to own a firearm you can trust your life with jump aboard the AR wagon.

For everyone else, I didn't mean to put anyone down. I was just ranting because it irks me when I see people like post-a here who think a simple AK conversion qualifies him as a master gunsmith who can look down on everyone else. I was planning on converting it at some point but I at least expected it to function flawlessly out of the box.

I really don't know why people put the GPD 30 launcher lug gas blocks on their guns, guess it's for looks. Unless they have a grenade launcher or something, His build is "typical" for a conversion in the sense it is a faithful conversion of what a izhmash factory might churn out. and yeah Post-A not really known for sugar coating things to put it kindly, but don't let that turn you off saigas

However, expecting the Saiga to function out of the box really is un-fair IF your problem relies on the trigger, the trigger is pretty much designed to be replaced with a real AK trigger. but i know exactly how you feel. having to tinker and fix problems certantly isn't confidence inspireing

Edited by ZombieJefferson
  • Like 2

Don't worry, after seeing the caliber of people like this on this forum I won't be coming back.

Hey now...

Good luck defending your property against a hoard of looters or zombies when the shit hits the fan with a gun you have to continuously tinker with.

You just HAD to go there... Damn. Now I have to cut you... That's the rules.

anger.gif And when you're ready to own a firearm you can trust your life with jump aboard the AR wagon.

See above comment. Times two...No three!

For everyone else, I didn't mean to put anyone down. I was just ranting because it irks me when I see people like post-a here who think a simple AK conversion qualifies him as a master gunsmith who can look down on everyone else. I was planning on converting it at some point but I at least expected it to function flawlessly out of the box.

You've made that point clear several times. Several of us have made abundantly clear (I felt, anyway) that a simple function check is smart, but relying on an UNRESTORED FCG is going to yield poor results, and why.

Now you're seriously butthurt?

I retract my previous statement... This forum will eat you alive, pansy. See if you can follow THESE instructions without explaining why you're right and everybody else is wrong, while retracting statements and being falsely apologetic:

post-20073-0-27415000-1335236608.jpg

Hope that was clear enough.

See ya.

• Like 2

Piss off now, fool. You're dismissed. wink.png

Don't worry, after seeing the caliber of people like this on this forum I won't be coming back. You have fun with your yawn-inspiring 'build' there post-a...

I never referred to my rifle as a 'build'. I did refer to yours as a "build", since you'd displayed a fondness for ARs, and ignorant disdain for AKs, and many such people use the term liberally. I see you know the difference, and that's good, but let the semantics go. rolleyes.gif

If my rifle is "yawn-inspiring" compared to your Tapco-fantastic, bastardized sporter of a .223, that just further exposes your serious lack of knowledge and experience when it comes to Kalashnikov-pattern carbines.

...Good luck defending your property against a hoard of looters or zombies when the shit hits the fan with a gun you have to continuously tinker with...

I don't "tinker with" the pictured rifle. She's never had a malfunction of any kind, whether clean or filthy, well-lubed or bone dry, in ~7,000 rnds fired. How many rifles do you own that you can truthfully say the same about?

...And when you're ready to own a firearm you can trust your life with jump aboard the AR wagon...

Now that's funny. laugh.png

...For everyone else, I didn't mean to put anyone down. I was just ranting because it irks me when I see people like post-a here who think a simple AK conversion qualifies him as a master gunsmith who can look down on everyone else...

I don't know where you're getting that from. I never said it nor even implied it. rolleyes.gif

When it comes to AKs, and specifically Saigas, you don't even know what you don't know... and with the bullshit attitude you've displayed thus far, most will be disinclined to educate you.

So, as I said, go have fun with your inferior rifles. They say ignorance is bliss, so I'm sure you will. wink.png

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I just find it funny that there are so many passionate people on here obsessing about a firearm that is currently being produced with known issues and defects.

Also, I never said my AK was a 'build', I did cosmetic 'modifications' only.

I am a mechanical engineer at a technology and equipment fabrication company. Which means 1) I expect a high level of quality out of the products I buy 2) I am not afraid to get my hands dirty, I just restored/fixed my Dad's old Winchester lever action .22 mag, this gun is 40 yrs old which gives it reason to malfunction. That Saiga was brand new. I wish I had read up on all these issues before I bought it.

Now this is the post that really gets to me.

Let me get this straight. You're a mechanical engineer and you say that means you expect a high level of quality from others rather than yourself and also know how to wash your hands. That is impressive, I'll admit. However, you are the first person from a fabrication company I've met that was either 1) too poor to set your gun up correctly or too intimidated by the process to try it and 2) Unable or unwilling to research what you're buying leading inevitably to 3) throwing your hands in the air and giving up.

If you happen to be telling the truth about your occupation, problem solving should be what you thrive on and is damn sure what you get paid for. Please PM me with your company's name so I can avoid dealing with it. Thanks.

You have also insulted every member of this forum more than once with derogatory comments on their platform of choice just because you can't/won't fix a minor issue yourself. May I suggest you try that in a Harley bar just to see the reaction? I'm sure they'll just laugh it off and buy you a beer.

You asked in another post if anyone knew what AK stood for. Well I do. It stands for Asshole Killer so perhaps it is best you leave now.

Sincerely,

Tim

BTW, congratulations on reblueing and sanding/refinishing the stock on that 22 rifle. You are indeed a mechanical genius.

• Like 4