Front sight base alignment

I removed my FSB to attach a muzzel brake adaptor. I want to reinstall the FSB onto the barrel. So heres the catch. Out of the box the front sight pin was set off center to the left. and that is where the point of impact is. The FSB was installed canted to the right. Now I want to center the FSB on the barrel so the front sight pin is centered in the FSB and have it match the point of impact. To do this I was going to project a laser beam down the center axis of the barrel using a laser for hanging pictures on a wall (it projects a 4 to 8 foot staight line). and then line up the top of the FSB to the center axis of the barrel. Is this ok or is there better way to do this.

That should be excellent... nothing straighter than a laserbeam... But you just want to make sure the front and REAR sights are aligned, and as close to square with the bore as you can get... once pinned back on, THEN you can adjust and fine tune it the proper way with the sight post itself...

Have you seen this, by chance???

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/gascantfix.htm

and

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fsbcantfix.htm

Figured you probably have, but it never hurts to post them again...

Good luck!!!

:smoke:

would a windage adjustable rear sight fix this and help zero the rifle?

It most certainly would!!! It would allow you to pretty much IGNORE the wrong front post sight, and doo all the adjustments on the rear... HOWEVER... I would still try to get the front sight post as straight as possible FIRST...

That will just give you more room for adjustment...

Remember... garbage in.... garbage out....

:smoke:

Thanks for the lnformation. The photos of the front sight post in those links is exactly what I have. I clamped my barrel and reciever Assy. into a vice and realised that I should level it side to side. Then I shot the laser down onto the barrel. I used the screw hole in the rear tang as one point and the notch in the rear sight as a second point and the center of the barrel just behind the FSB as third point. I already had the front sight block started onto the barrel and eyeballed it for center. The laser beam was verry close to center on the block. putting back together and shooting it will be the test. Thanks again for the information.

NOTE: If you try this watch out for reflective surfaces, like the face of the hammer it will reflect the laser beam! :eek: