Professional Land Surveyor for the last 22 years. Specialized in high precision satellite positioning, laser remote sensing and aerial imagery. Love the shit out of my job!!!

Stuctural monitoring with GPS on Sunshine Skyway Bridge Tampa Bay

25369_1256489213048_1254140324_30605312_5333942_n.jpg

25369_1256489173047_1254140324_30605311_7491321_n.jpg

224755_1026859472448_1254140324_30108865_1156_n.jpg

Training Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority how to map airspace obstructions

165189_1529811525935_1254140324_31202572_1271084_n.jpg

Mapping Nigerian power transmission network

378956_2229012525523_1254140324_31959794_872845356_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pretty neat to have an ocean of diversified members worlds apart in their own line of work here with a major common interest.

I taste-test nuclear waste for Tyson Foods before they put it in their chicken.

Retired Active Duty Military. Now I am a Civil Service employee working Range Support and Maintenance on Eglin Air Force Base Military Reservation. Eglin has over a half a million acres of property

Posted Images

Originally I went to college to become a secondary education science teacher... earth science... physics... that sort of thing... well, after I got my degree I had to get a temporary job to pay for some of my hobbies I enjoyed... Like food, clothing, and shelter... so I took a job at a local manufacturing facility making dewatering filtration belts.

18 YEARS LATER.... I am still there... Production supervisor of the Woven filtration department. I DO love my job, though... I work 6-2:30 M-F... I get good pay, good bennies, lots of holidays, and I have THE EASIEST job in the place now... 032.gif A few years back I was the second shift plant production supervisor... was helping with a problem on one of the machines and screwed up my knee really bad... was out of work for almost a year, had to have surgery on it and lost almost half the use of my right leg. After all the crap was over, I was brought back to work in a "non production facility" and now I am the supervisor and do inventory control for the Woven department. That means I get to play on a computer all day long now, and answer technical questions and manage tens of millions of inventory of belt making fabrics... YAY! laugh.png I work till about 7:30 and then have to surf the net, and try to keep busy till break, till lunch, and till its time to go... 032.giflaugh.png Sometimes it makes for a long boring day. Other times, the days go pretty quick. laugh.png032.gif

000.gif

I've had many different jobs in my youth ranging from farmer (born, raised and still am), carpenter, worked a grain elevator, to an enumerator for the US Census Bureau, with a bunch of other jobs mixed in. I was a supervisor for 8 years in a large plywood mill, and for the last 22 years I've been a Corrections Officer for the State of NY. Most recently OIC of the PC/IPC unit at one of NY's worst shitholes, Great Meadow C.F. Looking forward to retirement.

Originally I went to college to become a secondary education science teacher... earth science... physics... that sort of thing... well, after I got my degree I had to get a temporary job to pay for some of my hobbies I enjoyed... Like food, clothing, and shelter... so I took a job at a local manufacturing facility making dewatering filtration belts.

18 YEARS LATER.... I am still there... Production supervisor of the Woven filtration department. I DO love my job, though... I work 6-2:30 M-F... I get good pay, good bennies, lots of holidays, and I have THE EASIEST job in the place now... 032.gif A few years back I was the second shift plant production supervisor... was helping with a problem on one of the machines and screwed up my knee really bad... was out of work for almost a year, had to have surgery on it and lost almost half the use of my right leg. After all the crap was over, I was brought back to work in a "non production facility" and now I am the supervisor and do inventory control for the Woven department. That means I get to play on a computer all day long now, and answer technical questions and manage tens of millions of inventory of belt making fabrics... YAY! laugh.png I work till about 7:30 and then have to surf the net, and try to keep busy till break, till lunch, and till its time to go... 032.giflaugh.png Sometimes it makes for a long boring day. Other times, the days go pretty quick. laugh.png032.gif

000.gif

Do you supply filter belts to Oberlin?

Well, I'm kinda retired...again... although I did start up a small 'hobby' shop that seems to be taking off a bit more than I had planned.

I've worked in many occupations, from lead man in metal fabrication shops, white collar positions within a Security company in the Bay Area in California, military, owned and operated an auto body shop and restoration service, my best job was as a civilian Federal Technician with the AGT1500 program at Fort Riley KS, we rebuilt the diesel turbine engines used in the M1 Abrams battle tank, I retired out of that one with a disability annuity that kinda pays some of the bills here. Couple of years ago I came up with a little tool that you use to adjust the front sight on the Mosin Nagant 91/30 and it kinda snowballed from there, now I have 4 different sight tools for various Mosin variations that I make out of my little shop, gives me some good ammo money anyways, but about at the point where I need to either expand and make it a full time shop or hand it off to a manufacturing plant to do the process for me and I can sit at home and invent new shit to sell.

Wrenchin' on Harleys is pretty much all Ive ever done.

Don't worry one day it'll run and you can ride it..lol jk man sounds like a career you love.

2011-08-29_17-59-14_82.jpg

Like Rob, I too draw pictures on people... and occasionally myself. And pony_express1973.... I use ALOT of those paper towels :-)

Hey man nice seeing ya again see you finally got a gair cut..lol

• Like 1

I am a medical doctor who is board certified in Internal Medicine and practiced for over twenty years. I took an early retirement but maintain my license as well as a DEA number. The last six or seven years I have been associated with a local 07FFL who is a certified Master Gunsmith, trained in eastern Europe, and was a member of the US Special Forces in Viet Nam as a sniper. He builds many custom firearms for law enforcement and three letter government agencies. I assist at the shop with paperwork and correspondence, as well as occasional hands on stuff.

000.gif

Do you supply filter belts to Oberlin?

If *WE* dont... one of our OEM's probably does... We supply belts for press manufacturers such as Phoenix , ashbrook, komline, BDP, Andritz, etc... The woven belts specialize in slurry dewatering... so whenever you FLUSH in an urban setting... think of us...

Like Rob, I too draw pictures on people... and occasionally myself. And pony_express1973.... I use ALOT of those paper towels :-)

Our Spiral belts, while used in a variety of mining applications also are a predominant item in the paper industry. they are used to press the paper mush into form, and help dry it before final pressing... so if you use paper products like paper towels or TP... Think of us when you WIPE your ass as well!!!

we are one of *THE* largest filter belt manufacturers in the WORLD... and we do it with a handful of guys on three shifts... :up:

IT really is something to see from start to finish... especially the spirals. We owned the patent on them until just a few years ago... so chances are if you see a spiral style dewatering belt... it was made in Skaneateles Falls, NY, by us!!! :up:

:smoke:

Have a degree in IST

certified DR1 (dive rescue one)

that's evidence and body recovery for the state police and other law enforcement.

(Ya I'm one of the guys that fishes out the guns,bodies, and other shit people think they can hide in the water)

The state has so much invested in me and the dive team it;s scary.

Not a hydraulic power tool I can't or haven't run under water.

Last 11 years, I'm a nursing office float for the 2nd biggest health care provider in the country.

Love my job I never know if I'm working the ER, ICU, PEDS, or what ever unit, I just go in and go to the unit someone else called off of.

The ER is the best on holidays.....

Retired Active Duty Military. Now I am a Civil Service employee working Range Support and Maintenance on Eglin Air Force Base Military Reservation. Eglin has over a half a million acres of property primarily used to test aircraft weapons. If it goes bang or boom and is fired or dropped from an aircraft, it has been tested here. We support all the test missions as well as support activities of our tenant units that occupy property here. 7th Special Forces Group, and 6th Ranger Training Battalion are here from the Army side of the house. The 7th has some awesome new small arms ranges and shoot houses we look after. The Navy runs the Joint Explosive Ordnance Disposal School that all EOD Techs in the Military attend. Air Force Special Operations runs their TACP School here and SOCOM sends teams through here to train with Hurlburt Field's C-130 Spectre and Spooky gunships on Call For Fire missions. We will be providing support to the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program in the future as they will be opening up the schoolhouse for all F-35 flyers from all branches including foreign pilots from countries purchasing the aircraft. It is a very busy and diverse place to work and everyday is different which keeps it interesting. One day we could be deep in the woods doing something and the next day out somewhere on the 22 mile stretch of beach Eglin owns on the Gulf of Mexico. I know, it sucks!

• Like 6

I trim and shoe horses. Lots of good(and some not so good) people that I don't have to be around but about 6-10 times a year, lol. Some days it's just great to help an animal perform to the best of their abiltiy and/or aid in its recovery from neglect, abuse, etc. Other days, I'm leg wrestling 1000#+/- opponents trying not to get a nail in my leg, or worse.

so your a farrier? they stay pretty busy in my neck of the woods. its sad how many people neglect livestock sometimes.

Ya it's gotten bad since the bubble burst. I know of folks that went trail riding in Kentucky and came back to find an extra horse in their trailer. For some, that's like leaving their baby outside a church/hospital. They hope someone else will do what they can't.

This is the busy season, but it's been an odd year. Most my horses have come off the winter at or ABOVE a proper weight due to the lack of a hard freeze killing the grass. Now we're haveing to warn everyone about potential Laminitis and Founder. I've got two that are borderline now.

On a side note, since we seem to be listing what we have done as well, here's my resume, lol.

Worked the feilds as a kid detasalling and bean walking.

Couple years Military Police, stateside.

10yrs carpentry/construction

Volunteer Deputy/SAR out in Arizona

1 season trail/inmate crew leader and wilderness firefighter for the Forest Service

10yrs auto industry wharehousing

Now 6+yrs Shoeing.

Truth, I think I loved all of it. Some things I miss, some I don't, lol.

• Like 2

I am a NON UNION, moderately conservative, mathematics teacher at an online school. My husband who also posts occasionally is a former Marine and PSC who is now a stay at home dad and firearms instructor.

• Like 2

Now 6+yrs Shoeing.

i put shoes on like 3 horses, never again, lol, what a pain in the ass, i don't mind trimming hooves but i wont touch shoes anymore

I agree, if I could I'd run araound on a cycle and do nothing but trims. Alas, many of my clients needed shoeing as well and so. Besides, I cleaned out my shop and got most of it into my truck. Now I have more room for gun projects, lol.

I am a NON UNION, moderately conservative, mathematics teacher at an online school. My husband who also posts occasionally is a former Marine and PSC who is now a stay at home dad and firearms instructor.

Kumon?

I'm one of those .gov leaches that everyone seems to like bagging on...

DSCN1649Copy.jpg

DSCN4186.jpg

DSCN4192.jpg

DSCN4394-1.jpg

DSCN4213-1.jpg

DSCN4473-1.jpg

BTW, thanks for paying your taxes.

Anesthesiologist for 22 + years. Sunnybean, Your welcome! I would gladly pay taxes to support your profession.

Which looks to be photography?...lol JK