Started out as grocery store clerk at 15, then started driving forklift for the same chains warehouse at 19, and now, at 22, handle outbound shipping logistics for delhaize America(company that owns sweetbay, foodlion, and Hannaford grocery stores along the east coast)

Movin on up!

• Like 1
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pretty neat to have an ocean of diversified members worlds apart in their own line of work here with a major common interest.

I taste-test nuclear waste for Tyson Foods before they put it in their chicken.

Retired Active Duty Military. Now I am a Civil Service employee working Range Support and Maintenance on Eglin Air Force Base Military Reservation. Eglin has over a half a million acres of property

Posted Images

Well, I JUST found out today that I may not be doing "what I do for a living" after next year. Our facility is going to be closing, and a brand new facility is being built as we speak near Tulsa Oklahoma.

So If I want to relocate from NY to OK... Then I can keep my position, etc... but if I dont want to move... its a severance package, unemployment, and back to square one.

I currently own two homes, three cars, and owe ZERO on any of it... so I am not as hosed as some of the folks I know who are in the same boat I am... It just sucks.

18 years there... will be 19 if I make it through to the end... just to be let go... and have the whole dream be over...

Ah well... I guess I dont have to worry for a while yet... who knows... Just might be the best thing ever... ( just doesnt SEEM like it at the moment is all... :( )

:smoke:

Well, I JUST found out today that I may not be doing "what I do for a living" after next year. Our facility is going to be closing, and a brand new facility is being built as we speak near Tulsa Oklahoma.

So If I want to relocate from NY to OK... Then I can keep my position, etc... but if I dont want to move... its a severance package, unemployment, and back to square one.

I currently own two homes, three cars, and owe ZERO on any of it... so I am not as hosed as some of the folks I know who are in the same boat I am... It just sucks.

18 years there... will be 19 if I make it through to the end... just to be let go... and have the whole dream be over...

Ah well... I guess I dont have to worry for a while yet... who knows... Just might be the best thing ever... <shrug> ( just doesnt SEEM like it at the moment is all... sad.png )

000.gif

Well I hear the gun laws are better in OK than NY, will give you a chance to purge all that shit you have been hoarding and you could go bother Tony R. anytime you wanted............

I work in recycling, large scale, equipment, vehicles. Pretty boring, pleasant, stressless.

All my jobs in my teens through early forties were "kevlar cowboy" stuff. Bodygaurd, security contractor, LE traIning, facilities security etc. Finally I just got too old for such things and have owned and sold a series of small businesses. I still buy, sell, and customize body armor and build up the ocasional AR or PSL for somebody just to keep my fingers in things.

Hammer he's not buying the Tail Gunner story, would you believe an In Flight Crew Chief on a LGM-30G Minuteman III?

How about maybe Loadmaster on an AGM-69 SRAM?

Better yet: "I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss."

For the record: I can think of few things less interesting than my job, it’s not a bad job but I’ve done it for years now. I work at a small company that does plastic injection molding and tool and die builds. I fill what ever position the owner wants me to do from GM to un-stick the toilet. Quality inspection to book keeping with a side of anything else that needs to be done chief cook to bottle washer. I’m pretty well paid and very well treated as well as generally left the hell alone so I’m riding this one out to where ever it leads or ends. But I do sometimes miss the military where you change bases and went TDY staying in one place this long seems weird.

Edited by 20-Mags

Well you may recognize my other nickname...The Hedgehog from some very popular movies and internet videos...Also my stint on a few reality shows...Yup I am:

Ron Jeremy

haha.gif

Edited by DJ Big Dog
  • Like 1

Gearhead new car large fleet Mechanic/Tech for 26yrs. Gearhead independant shop Mechanic for 6yrs prior to that while I cut my teeth. Love what I do and usually get to play with new models months before they hit the dealerships, nothing older than a year, and several manufacturers use us to find the bugs before they go into full production. Over the years I've found that a good mechanic worth their salt with the proper training can fix anything and everything. Kind of makes me think that if we were rich it would upset the natural balance in the world.

• Like 2

Gearhead new car large fleet Mechanic/Tech for 26yrs. Gearhead independant shop Mechanic for 6yrs prior to that while I cut my teeth. Love what I do and usually get to play with new models months before they hit the dealerships, nothing older than a year, and several manufacturers use us to find the bugs before they go into full production. Over the years I've found that a good mechanic worth their salt with the proper training can fix anything and everything. Kind of makes me think that if we were rich it would upset the natural balance in the world.

Hell ya, if you can fix, it's a great thing

I work on marine electronics. Basically anything on a large ship that is electronic, chances are I've fixed it or installed it. Radar, electronic charts, various navigational instruments, satellite phone/data terminals, phone exchange systems, engineering automation electronics, plain old computers, etc. I sort of ran into this job completely by accident, but having a background in engineering I found that I love playing with ships. I had no interest in them at all before. I get to travel the world on my employer's dime, which is also nice. Riding a ship through the Caribbean to Puerto Rico later this week, in fact.

I've done some of that from time to time as well. Last summer I jumped from boat to boat wiring GPS antennas into people's radios so that we would show up on eachother's plotters. I love that new (for me) feature.

I hate soldering coax. Bristol Bay has small boats with electronics you would laugh at, but it is amazing how much better stuff is than it was even 10 years ago. We seem to upgrade periodically whenever we decide to do something like verify manufacturer claims about water resistence by submerging the cabin. It turns out Furuno radars are not water-proof. I gotta say though replacing everything with just a few LCD touchscreens and networking all the inputs makes boats so much tider than a few years ago when there would be 12 green CRT displays everywhere. Our dash feels empty now and has 5x the space.

I sell carparts for a nation chain store. It sucks. There is nothing interesting about it except for when my boss is shit faced and starts crying and falling off the stool, bit even that's getting old. Wish the was some construction work in my area. Be nice to going back to hanging ceilings and drywall.