• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's pretty neat to have an ocean of diversified members worlds apart in their own line of work here with a major common interest.

I taste-test nuclear waste for Tyson Foods before they put it in their chicken.

Retired Active Duty Military. Now I am a Civil Service employee working Range Support and Maintenance on Eglin Air Force Base Military Reservation. Eglin has over a half a million acres of property

Posted Images

I'm an aircraft mechanic on F18 Hornets (DoD Contractor) I used to troubleshoot and launch F14 Tomcats on the flight deck of aircraft carriers, if they hadn't decomissioned the F14 I might have stayed in the USN.

I like my job, I'm glad to have it, but I need get another one, or one that pays more, or stop buying guns and ammo, maybe all of the above. greedy.gif

had many different jobs in my youth. last nineteen years have been self employed. Captain, strangely enough in the garage door and operator industry. i'm no tailgater. though i mostly work alone, i cover all aspects. residential, commercial, rolling steel, truck & trailer doors. welding and fabrication. mall grilles.

i work in six counties. i have not advertised in over five years. i can feel your pain. ive rode ladders down more than once.

• Like 1

Unemployed loser at the moment. I am finishing up a semsester in law school. Hopefully I will be in a position in a few years to help people who get things done do them better. I've worked at several jobs where badly put together deals left a lot of people out of work, that could have been prevented with some foresight and solved with better negotiation. I am hoping to be working as a 1L lackey at a local firm for the summer, but I haven't got work lined up yet.

I have done a lot of different things over the years but nothing impressinve:

• 13 seasons of sockeye fishing in Bristol bay. If I wanted to make a life of that, I would have bought a boat and permit years ago and payed it off long since too.
  • Residential construction for a couple years
  • Metal fab for boat related stuff mostly.
  • I spent a few months cutting up a really cool ship that set world records. google "AGEH -1" or Plainview.
  • I worked for a couple of years building industrial equipment for the RV industry- Vacuum presses mostly.
  • A couple of years being various kinds of secretary at a jail. You find out a lot about what goes on in the county with a job like that.
  • I volunteered for about a year in the prosecutors's office while I was going to college full time. It felt very good to help people and have a part in justice.I put in over 30 hours a week on paper. Plus more not on paper. plus a part time job of usually around 36 hours cleaning rental cars. That is also around the time that I started learning how to have a social life. I wish I had the energy now.
  • Occasional work bouncing around a department store.
  • Odd jobs while trying to get work as a paralegal.
  • Hanging nets while I was in school over the winters.

Retired after 42 years building, modernizing, and maintaining elevators and escalators in Wash DC area. If you have been to DC, at some point you put your life in my hands!

I have also painted Civil Deference towers, changed McDonald's signs from 2 to 3 million sold, white washed basements, Engine Man on a Diesel Sub, Chief Engine Man at a power plant, commercial cabinet installer, and janitor!

• Like 2

Retired after 42 years building, modernizing, and maintaining elevators and escalators in Wash DC area. If you have been to DC, at some point you put your life in my hands!

I have also painted Civil Deference towers, changed McDonald's signs from 2 to 3 million sold, white washed basements, Engine Man on a Diesel Sub, Chief Engine Man at a power plant, commercial cabinet installer, and janitor!

DBF!

had many different jobs in my youth. last nineteen years have been self employed. Captain, strangely enough in the garage door and operator industry. i'm no tailgater. though i mostly work alone, i cover all aspects. residential, commercial, rolling steel, truck & trailer doors. welding and fabrication. mall grilles.

i work in six counties. i have not advertised in over five years. i can feel your pain. ive rode ladders down more than once.

its good to see someone else that does it! i usually work alone too running my truck. sometimes i get help, but good help is hard to find in this industry. most kids are afraid of heights, dont want to do the amount of work involved, or both. luckily i dont fall that often, but when i do its usually painul. i need new ladders anyways. my 10 and 12' ones have been walked so much that they become very unstable the higher up you go on them. its not the fall that bugs me, its the sudden stop at the end, or what i might hit on the way down.

• Like 1

Hello

Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Tank Inspector for the refining and petrochem industry.

Metallurgy, failure analysis, corrosion mechanisms, NDE (non-destructive examination), equipment end-of-life forecasts, repair plans, etc.

Houston, TX, baby! (We just chap that flap-eared jihadist's ass!)

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

• Like 3

Hello

Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Tank Inspector for the refining and petrochem industry.

Metallurgy, failure analysis, corrosion mechanisms, NDE (non-destructive examination), equipment end-of-life forecasts, repair plans, etc.

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

Buddy of mine does pretty much the same exact job for Chevron over in Pascagoula, MS, he moved here from Houston last year. Edited by ChileRelleno

Great career. Started or ran lots of unusual businesses. Believe it or not, I'm not making this stuff up . . .

Now retired, but still run a laser tattoo removal program for ex-gang members and also a medical clinic in the Congo for the pygmies.

But in the past --

Owned a dune buggy factory in Abu Dhabi

Owned the world's largest carnivorous plant nursery

Owned a factory automation company that made conveyors to transport products into clean rooms

Did corporate turnarounds -- major car rental company, chemical plants, automation companies

Founded a medical device company that instruments to measure blood parameters inside the body.

Owned an electrochemistry instrument manufacturing company

• Like 1

Hello

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

Buddy of mine does pretty much the same exact job for Chevron over in Pascagoula, MS, he moved here from Houston last year.

Hello, Chile

Can't fault him for that. South Texas is more like north Mexico anymore.

I worked at that plant in 79-81 with a bunch of 'Bama boys (Mobile) building a Coker Desulphurization unit. I liked it around there. Good folks.

I'm working for Valero here in Houston. Used to be a road whore, mostly plant turnarounds (25 years).

-guido

"God Loves Liberty"

I went to Vo-Tech years ago for Auto Body Repair and then got a job with the worlds largest manufacturer of concrete mixers and garbage trucks. Been there over 30 years doing various jobs from painting to managing.

Currently Staff Historian at United States Southern Command. Trying to finish up my Ph.D so someday I may qualify to be the Command Historian at either SOUTHCOM or another cocom (preferably CENTCOM since it's in Florida). Not sure I want to start teaching college just yet, but being historian at a cocom is a pretty awesome deal.