Anyone successfully remove a Velcro mark.

Just out of curiosity any one have a good method for covering the old importer mark? I know I shouldn't worry about looks but it's a bit of an eyesore.

I'm afraid of trying bondo as it may fall out with recoil.

• Like 1

The best method is to buy Saigas that don't have the RAAC patch. :D

If you've already got one, just tell people it's survival related.. a match striker. ;)

100% percent correct sir. But in my neck of the woods they have been gone for quite sometime.

Wouldn't welding effect the heat treating on the reciver?

Edited by hellraiser

I used the method of carefully using a sanding drum in my Dremel and "blending" it in. It really doesn't remove that much metal and it is barely noticeable. If you didn't know it was there and you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't notice it. I have to get in bright sunlight and angle it to see where it was. I will get some pictures later.

I painted it with Alumahyde 11 which has somewhat of a texture.

I am quite pleased. The patch just bothered me.Just take your time.

Edited by canoecanoe

I hid it on 3 shotguns this winter, used a dremel with a sanding drum.... sanded awhile, put the receiver in the blast cabinet and hit it with 120 grit aluminum oxide, had to sand a bit more and back to the blast cabinet, finished prepping the guns and applied Cerakote and there is no sign of the "velcro" left.

I hid it on 3 shotguns this winter, used a dremel with a sanding drum.... sanded awhile, put the receiver in the blast cabinet and hit it with 120 grit aluminum oxide, had to sand a bit more and back to the blast cabinet, finished prepping the guns and applied Cerakote and there is no sign of the "velcro" left.

That sounds like a winner for sure.

When I refinish my receiver I want to get rid of the:

READ OWNERS

MANUAL BEFORE

USE

and the

EAA CORP

COCOA, FL

It makes my gun less evil, and thats not cool.

That sounds like a winner for sure.

When I refinish my receiver I want to get rid of the:

READ OWNERS

MANUAL BEFORE

USE

and the

EAA CORP

COCOA, FL

It makes my gun less evil, and thats not cool.

Kinda reminds me of a ruger! Lol!

JB JB JB JB!!!!!

Have you done it or seen it?

I've seen the local smith simply feather edge the mark and then use automotive filler primer. Prep is the key to make it stick.

JB weld or quik-steel putty would work as well.

That's what I was thinking at first.

I don't actually have mine in hand yet.

However I was just talking to a buddy who said his was more raised then engraved. I'm not sure how that happens. That would explain how you guys ground it down. I was thinking if it was "engraved" it's just a matter of finding the proper filler.

Edited by hellraiser

easiest way would be to grind it down with either a dremel sanding drum or a flap disc. If a flap disc was used, it leaves a polished look, sand by hand with sand paper to rough it up. Coat with jb weld, sand down and paint. Light sand with 600 and paint again

If you just leave it alone it would look just fine its a importers mark.

My understanding is it covers a previous importer's mark.

I grinded mine down with a dremel. I didn't fill it after that, but JB would have been my plan. Just grinding it and refinishing was a major improvement.

I know you can't alter a serial number.

Any restrictions on altering importer's marks?

It's not like you'll ever be importing it again.

If it was done to RAA then I can do it to EAA. I cant imagine that a company can do it to another company, but I cant to it to a company as well. After all, would the feds be after you if you sand down the 'hi point' on your pistol and inscribed 'colt'?? Your gun is just a number to them, which is the serial number. Edited by Boomsick42

I know it's commonly done, but 922k gives me some concerns...

Title 18 USC 922

(k) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in

interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer's or

manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or to possess or

receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number

removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported

in interstate or foreign commerce.

This could be interpretted several ways.

This is a frequent question and many, many people have written ATF asking wether import marks can be removed, I have found examples of response letters from ATF where they said:

1. Removing the marks is no different from removing the serial number and is a crime
  2. The end user can remove the marks
  3. The end user can remove the marks then the weapon can never be sold across state lines
  4. The end user can remove the marks then the weapon can never be transfered again

Since I find it very doubtful that ATF would condone creating a weapon that cannot be sold across state lines, yet is not marked in any way that a user would know that I find #3 dubious.

Since it is also doubtful that ATF would condone creating a weapon that cannot be transfered and is not an obvious SBS, SBR, class3, AOW etc I would be reluctant to accept #4

Edited by preparehandbook

I guess the markings may hold a certain importance. And in that, one importer can destroy the other importers mark, as long as the one who imports the weapon, has their marking on the weapon. Maybe for nothing else, than another identifiable mark other than the serial number. And maybe in that, the ATF would highly frown on removing them. And if removed they cant be transferred properly, so it may be crime to remove them.

You may be right. In casual thinking, who gives a shit if I sand down 'ruger' and inscribe 'XD'. But I can see how this would be a problem for the systems which keep track of the firearms.

Serial #1122334469 glock17

Serial#1122334469 berretta 92

I see why they wouldnt be cool with that.

Edited by Boomsick42

As I read the law it says nothing about markings, only serial number from the manufacturer or importer. I dont think there is serial number from the importer but if there is you must keep that plus the manufacturer serial number. There could be more laws out there about markings but the law listed above USC Title 18 section 922 (k) doesn't say anything about removing markings (other than serial numbers) from a gun that will make that gun illegal.

It is easy with little google-foo to find multiple examples of ATF interpretting section 922K to mean you can or cannot remove importation marks.

To me it reads more like these matters apply to initial importation and transfer and may not apply at all if the importer did not add a number. I have had some surplus wepaons that the importer engraved a second, different serial number, I would definitely not remove that.

Fun fact: The whole current importer mark regs are a result of JFK. They had difficulty tracking Oswald's carcano and got all butthurt.

Personally, before I do anything that falls under one of ATFs wobbler policies I make sure I have a letter in my safe saying I can. Back in the late 80's I had local law enforcement disagree with some work I'd done and when it got to court 6 months and many thousands of dollars later the letter I had from ATF is what what pushed them to drop the case.

I have to add that the USC is a federal law... but u also have to go by state/county/city laws ... theirs might be different then the feds but you must remain in complince to each one of them. since u live in cali, I would look up each to see what there laws are since they have strict laws on guns.

The OP lives in Cali?

I wouldn't do anything their without a letter from ATF and from the CA AG.

I live in beatiful WA where all they hate is SBS, SBR and full auto..... I just made myself sad, I'm moving to Idaho.

Edited by preparehandbook
  • Like 2

I understand everyone's concern. However I'm not intending to cover up serial numbers or the current importer. The way i see it you'd be just cleaning up what the new importer already did. The new importer is the one that obliterated the old importers name.

That being said I'm gonna just hold off till i got more info since I do live in a commie state.

Edited by hellraiser

since I do live in a commie state.

Move we can always use another gun in the SE

Why move, we're winning the fight here. Up to a few years ago EBR's of all types were forbidden, now there's millions of them bought and sold everyday. We have build partys all over the state. The Saiga 12 is illegal......uh nope, we have thousands of those too.

Hellraiser called me about this, dude you haven't even seen that damn gun yet and your stressing about it. Everything I told you over the phone was echoed in this thread. Chill out and don't worry about it.

• Like 2