• 3 weeks later...

A black powder derringer? Soooo you not only get just one shot but it also takes 10 minutes to load?

Not bad though... $60 for a little smoker like that. Next time someone's cheating at the poker table, at least you know you're packing a .45. Just make that shot count, you probably won't get another. lol

I've got nothing against black powder guns. A buddy of mine has a replica of a Civil War era black powder revolver in .45 caliber. Nice and all... makes tons of smoke when you shoot it. I don't like the fact though that it takes me 25 minutes to reload the bugger... 25 minutes to load up 6 rounds. From what I had found out while researching, a competent shooter back in the Civil War and prior to that could reload one of those in about 10-15 minutes. Ok... so you get 6 shots and you sit there hoping noone's going to rush up on you while you mess with flammables for 10-15 minutes... oi.

The same buddy's got a 2 shot .380 auto derringer as well as a 4 shot .25 cal derringer and a honking huge 2-shot .38 special derringer (if it can be called that anymore since it's almost the size of a small revolver). These are a little more fun to shoot. Limited ammo cap but hey, pop it open, drop a couple of rounds in and snap it back. You're ready to shoot. Reload in 15 seconds or less.

Edited by SammoH
i have a 6 shot 44 cal black powder revolver, colt new army replica, and i can reload 6 init as fast as you can restuff a clip from a auto feed pistol. if its taking 10-15 mins sumthins wrong

You can measure and dump powder into a .45 caliber chamber, stuff a bullet in it, pack it then wax it over and repeat that 6 times as quickly as I can restuff a mag from an autoloader? I admit, I'm no good at doing all of that quickly but I can put 7 rounds into one of my 1911 mags in less than 30 seconds. I gather it would be rather difficult to reload one of those old six shooters that quickly.

Besides, the beauty of an autoloader with a modern cartridge is that you can carry spare mags. Sooo... let's say I'm using a 1911... you're using one of those old guns. Let's also say you can reload it in less than 30 seconds. We're carrying the same amount of ammo. 50 rounds. I've got 7 mags, 7 rounds in each mag and one in the pipe. That makes 50. You've got the pistol with 6 in it and umm... i have no idea how you'd carry the bullets, powder, primer caps etc... all in a little pack I would assume... getting the picture yet?

You get six initially, I get 8. Then in a second or so, I've got another seven. It takes you around 20-30 seconds for six more. By then, I'm close enough to you to interrupt your loading if not already have my pistol pointed at your head. If I use up that seven, I've got another seven in another second or so... are you done reloading yet? It'd be different if it were a revolver using a metallic or modern cartridge. Then you'd only have to slot six of them in there and it wouldn't be so slow. That would be concievable (for reloading as quickly as I can slot 7 into a mag).

Anyway, as I posted before, I've got nothing against black powder really, except that it's slow loading. I've seen some devastating shots from black powder firearms and I don't doubt their accuracy but I'd rather have an autoloader with several mags any day. If not that then at least a modern double action revolver with quick loader clips.

I love blackpowder firearms! Hey- they are part of weapons development and a "hoot" to shoot! I purchased just about every blackpowder weapon that made a mark in history and/or I thought too cool not to try.

I used to load 2 navys about as fast as I think any normal guy can (cowboy action shooters hate waiting in line) and I could do both in about 2 minutes. I reamed my cylinder throats and shot .36 cal bullets so no grease covers were needed. To compare cap n ball to autoloaders is apples and oranges. I prefer to eat both types often.

Back to them hide out guns. My favorite load is the 2-ball load...4 shots and if that don't work..make your get-away behind all the smoke! :P

Edited by NedPepper