My Recent Score....Remington Model 11 "The Sportsman"

Hey guys, school has been getting in the way of my firearm obsession but I caught a break and scored a new shotgun. Its a mid 1940's Remington Model 11 in 16 gauge based almost exactly off of the Browning Auto 5. This this is in perfect condition for its age. The bluing is probably 98% and the wood is in decent shape as well. The coolest thing about this is the way the action works. It is strictly recoil operated and the barrel actually travels into the reciever about 4 inches. The action is still extremely tight and robust. The quality of the fit and finish is amazing and the engravings look awesome. I thought i would share my recent score with you. I also picked up a French MAS 36 as well for an awesome price but that will be in another post. Enjoy the picks and if you have any knowledge on it please share.

post-27610-0-66149000-1335127662_thumb.jpg

post-27610-0-07851600-1335127687_thumb.jpg

post-27610-0-30065500-1335127703_thumb.jpg

post-27610-0-59123200-1335127718_thumb.jpg

The Remington 11 is a great find! It's a licensed version of the A5, not based on it. It is an A5, just built by Remington. Themag tube extension for a Remington 870 will fit it too, just skip the barrel band or you'll make a mess of the gun when you fire it. I have one. Make sure the friction ring isn't installed backwards. Mine was really nice mechanically, but the wood was very amateurishly refinished with some heavy, shiny crap. I took that off and oil finished it.

I shoot black powder loads out of mine. What a hoot! It sounds like full auto heavy artillery!

Edited by patriot

Ya the wood will be refinished eventually. If the barrel gets cut down would that effect cycling because of the lighter barrel? And do they make tube extensions for 16 gauge?

The guy i bought it off of thought it was broken because it wouldnt cycle light loads. It was just set on heavy haha. I paid $85 for it cuz it was "BROKEN".haha.gif

Good deal. Gotta love that weird two stage feel to the action resetting. Browning was a smart guy. It took over 50 years for anyone to come up with a semi shotgun that is significantly more versatile with ammo than his or more reliable.

Can you actually feel the barrel and carrier move seperatly? I havent shot it yet but I thought it would happen so fast it would feel like any other gun. Thats crazy.

Edited by foreign firearm fiend

Ya the wood will be refinished eventually. If the barrel gets cut down would that effect cycling because of the lighter barrel? And do they make tube extensions for 16 gauge?

The guy i bought it off of thought it was broken because it wouldnt cycle light loads. It was just set on heavy haha. I paid $85 for it cuz it was "BROKEN".haha.gif

YOU SUCK!!!

Great find, wish I could "find" a deal.

The recoil feels similar to shooting an M82A1 Barrett. Not as big, of course. A little strange, but once you get the feel for it, it's a great gun.

I don't know about chokes for it. I'd check Brownell's.

actually if you cut the barrel down it will cycle better, not that it doesn't cycle good already, but low brass might not from the hip because it's recoil operated and you need to brace it against something, but since the barrel moves when it cycles a lighter barrel will move easier than a heavier one, so cutting it will have no adverse effects on cycling. i have a remington 11-48 that i cut the barrel to 18" on, might make it an sbs, and it cycles low brass from the hip no problem

also, if it's a sportsman model it might have dimples in the magazine tube that don't allow more than 2 rounds to be loaded, but those are easily drilled out

Edited by Russian Hammer
  • 5 months later...

Being recoil operated, black powder shells are LOADS of fun and are perfectly safe in this gun.

Recipe for comet fireball 12GA black powder loads.

100gr 1F or 2F black powder. (1F makes a better flash and lower BOOOOM!)

strip of 0000 steel wool rolled into a 12ga sized ball

1 1/8 oz shot

flour (makes a great fuel/air bang in front of the barrel.)

ANY hull

ANY 209 primer

Prime, then add 100gr black powder. Follow with steel wool ball, then a scoop of flour. Add shot. Crimp. That's IT! ENJOY!

4 of these in rapid succession make for a very attention getting show at night.

Guaranteed to make your friends ask you...

WHAT the FUCK was THAT????

• 4 months later...

"Remington Model 11 in 16 gauge"

Clyde's main CCW SBS, dissapeared under the double breasted drape suit coats, let alone topcoats, of the time. Even in very small guy by today's standards. Bonnie had one of her own, a 20 ga. chopped much shorter.

model 11 was the go-to riot gun for most top depression era gunfighters, lawman or theif, but often, those with a lot of bravado and probably have decent biopics done on them. About the same time as a .351 Winchester and a .38 Super 1911A1 and .380 1908 for backup, were the carbines and pistols that the trendy and/or in the know carried. Even with the great trench and riot guns around, Luparas, a Remington 17 Spl. Police PGO with 15" bbl.(Browning/Ithaca/Stevens pattern), and untold large amounts of long barreled fowl hunting shotguns,of all action types, were in LE armories, and on gunracks. One example may include the Kansas City Massacre, now believed to have been started by a KC cop or fed AD'ing his long duck barrelled, Sweet 16ga. Model 1897.

Charles Askins was also a known user of the Rem, 11. Border Patrolman Askins didn't order an extra short, Special Police 18.5" model. His duck gun got sawed off at 22", and he had a mag tube extension put on holding 9 total. Notice that 22", and mag tube eqivalent to barrel length, full load of 9 rd, is common auto shotgun specs in today's 3-Gun competition

This place in MS or AL was selling an 11 SBS forever, under a grand, had a coold greenish gray finish over the metal, a full stock with pad and stained to black woodgrain, forearm was black plastic. Barrel, was exactly 9".

Edited by Steppe Sweeper