Vepr 54r extended magazines

I'm excited to see a new section open up on here!!! Anyway...

I had read about 10 round magazines for the 54r Vepr rifle awhile back but I've been unable to find anything. Anyone have any knowledge or at least ideas about magazines bigger than the standard 5 round OEM mags??

• 4 weeks later...

Someone needs to think big, like 25rd or dare I even say drum.

Yah that would be cool just like the tommy gun. Execpt a saiga in 54r. You ever thought about starting a company and makeing something like that.

If I ever win the lottery........

• 2 months later...

The PSL user's manual states the rate of fire for this gun is 30 rpm. As narrow as the barrel is, I would be reluctant to fire more than 30 rds per minute for fear it would start to "cook off" live rounds, and possibly melt the barrel.

A 25-rd drum would be neat, though, but with the x54r's wacky profile, goo dluck with a relaible drum mag.

-slamfyre

Edited by slamfyre

The PSL user's manual states the rate of fire for this gun is 30 rpm. As narrow as the barrel is, I would be reluctant to fire more than 30 rds per minute for fear it would start to "cook off" live rounds, and possibly melt the barrel.

A 25-rd drum would be neat, though, but with the x54r's wacky profile, goo dluck with a relaible drum mag.

-slamfyre

The Vepr's barrel is supposed to be significantly more substantial than the PSL.

As far as drums though, I say that the race is on to see who can convert one of these:

Case%20of%2015%20DT%20Mags.JPG

It already looks like its set up for single stack feeding, all someone needs to do is probably extended the feed tower and add some lugs.

• Like 2

I have one of each variation of those... VERY cool stampings on the inside (and packed with what smells like whale grease)..

I did lots of dreaming on those already. Best conversion would likely be to add a socket to the rifle to accept the front ears on the drum, as it will be far to heavy for normal mag locks to hold.

The pan drum was way ahead of its time. Now with laser cutting and plastics technology someone could reinvent the pan drum into a modern weapon system.

• Like 2

I have one of each variation of those... VERY cool stampings on the inside (and packed with what smells like whale grease)..

I did lots of dreaming on those already. Best conversion would likely be to add a socket to the rifle to accept the front ears on the drum, as it will be far to heavy for normal mag locks to hold.

The pan drum was way ahead of its time. Now with laser cutting and plastics technology someone could reinvent the pan drum into a modern weapon system.

I thought that the weight of the thing full loaded might be a problem. What do you know about the Lahti-Saloranta 25 round mags? They're set up for single stack feeding at the lips but are double stack but I've been told they're still too wide to fit in the Vepr without opening up the magwell. What are the chances we could see a clone of it made just for the Vepr?

http://www.gunauctio...itemnum=7721844

Edited by Risky
  • Like 1

i am excited about the new mags atleast i will have something i can order to my house and be able to hold more than 5.

regardless of looks it will hold me over till someone figures something out other than what jerry(i think was his name,) i think at black horse arsenal did converting the vepr to svd tigr dragunov mags.

just wanted to get a post in here to keep me updated

any idea on what the price range will be for those 10 round mags SGM?

the single stack mags do look funny and odd..almost would think thats a 30 rnd mag! also does anyone know of if there are any known reliability issues with any variants of aks that only feed from single stack mags?

Edited by skullface405420

regardless of looks it will hold me over till someone figures something out other than what jerry(i think was his name,) i think at black horse arsenal did converting the vepr to svd tigr dragunov mags.

My problem with Black Horse Arsenal's conversion is that it requires both modifications to the rifle's magwell and to the magazines themselves. I can live with modifying magazines to fit the OEM magwell, and I suppose I could live with modifying the magwell for available surplus mags... but doing both seems to be begging for running into feeding issues with no option to return to OEM mags.

EDIT: Not to mention I'm sure that it is obnoxiously expensive to have them do it.

Edited by Risky
  • Like 1

thanks for that input risky. ya i didnt know bout that. i thought all that had to be modified was the magwell...that changes everything. well maybe somehow they WILL make a drum someday where the bottomhalf of it is double stack but the top half is single. maybe a magazine could be designed like that too.

Yeah, if you check out some of those threads on AKFiles, you can see that he had to do a bunch of tweaking to the front of the mags in order to get them to feed right from the double stack top. I think I'll be satisfied with the SGM 10 round mags for the most part, but it does bother me that it should be quite possible to make a double stack in the same profile at twice the capacity.