Did I just buy the wrong rifle?

Just picked up a Saiga 5.45x39 and now doing some looking around the net, it seems there are two 5.45 cartridges out there. A 5.45x39 and a 5.45x45. Did I just purchase a rifle that fires the non perfered round? If I did not then what rifle shoots the 5.45x45? and is the 5.45x45 perfered over the 5.45x39? Or is this an internet mistake and there is no 5.45x45?

Thanks

ok did some more looking around and seems I did purchase the correct rifle. Looks like its a mistake. Those threads just made me re-think and I had to ask for my on peace.

Edited by Whiskey

There is no 5.45x45, there is a 5.56x45 (essentially .223). In the world of Kalashnikov, the 5.45x39, also known as the AK74 cartridge, is the preferred round. In the world of AR15, the 5.56x45 is the preferred round.

You bought an accurate, flat shooting, cheap to buy ammo and magazines, reliable platform. With some research (try Wikipedia for a crash course), only you can decide whether you made a bad choice or not. Persoanlly, i think its great choice.

• Like 1

The threads I was reading were wrong and got me thinking wtf. These threads were getting their numbers mixed up typing in 5.45x45 instead of 5.56x45. Man if one doesn't keep searching and asking, it could lead someone to actually believing the mix up. I wanted the 5.45x39 but when I started reading posts and threads about a 5.45x45 it had me wondering. Had the Century Bulgarian 5.45x39 and I was unhappy with it. Sold it and just picked up this Saiga in 5.45x39. Thanks all for the replies!

Edited by Whiskey
  • Like 1

Did someone say cheap magazines? I lol @ you. Otherwise, all statements true. One thing that the AR guys really do have over us these days is CHEAP good plastic mags.

Well, when i was buying them (Bulgarian circle 21's and 25's), they were <$10 a pop. But yeah, i see now they have doubled, if not tripled.

• 7 months later...