Tapco GALIL- Firm or wobble like an Ivan?

So basically just the poll, my Galil mags shake like a junkie in rehab but the have never caused a jam (with a bullet guide)

thoughts/opinions

i think that unless your go AR mag adapter they are the cheapest mag option standing at about 14$$$ around the net for our dear saiga.

Wobbly piece of misery.

Despite their PR, Tapco still a ...well, Tapco, and not a MagPul.

Didn't have a jam yet, but embarrassed to get it rattled near my AR buddies.

I wouldn't attempt to do "AK push ups" on it Gabe Suarez's style...

P.S. I use PMAGs with adapter most of the time anyway.

P.P.S. 2009 "dimpled" Saiga .223. Tapco rattled before AR adapter mods; didn't get any worse after.

Mine ran tight and great before the MSA adapter... Then I had to widen the magwell opening ever so slightly- now they wobble pretty bad- but still run like a top.

For the record, Orlite Galil mags still lock up tight, as do some of the steel ones, with little/no side to side wobble. FWIW.

I run Pmags exclusively with the MSA, and Sgt. Raven: My husband HAS done pushups Saurez style on Pmag/mag adapter... It works!

• Like 1

Clarification: I've done 'em personally on PMAGs with adapter, but didn't have guts to go for wobbly Tapco.

Eh, what a heck, will try tonight...

Bohound, your husband is a stud. Say "Hi". 032.gif

• Like 1

Sarge: That Tapco's going to break... Chris just broke ours being a "stud"... You inflated his brain housing group JUST enough apparently. LOL.

FYI... Wish I'd have grabbed the camera, it was actually a hoot, because he faceplanted. The locking tab busted first, he thinks.

(STILL laughing)

Oh !@#$ !

I swear, I didn't mean to!

Send Chris over for beer therapy on my tab (it works!!!).

I got home, whipped my Saiga out, put mag in, looked at the miserable thing and said: "No way in hell!"

And then ...

I did it!

It surived 3 pushups, then mag rocked to the side, sending me crushing, almost breaking my wrists and flattening my chin.

On a good side, mag still intact

(Don't do it at home ...or any other place ...just don't do it at all!)

Would I trust that wobbly bastard with my life?

No way.

Do I crucify Tapco overall? Not at all.

I've had good luck with Tapco's 5.45x39 mags for my first conversion in 5.45: tight fit, no jams, works well.

Not as well as Russian or Bulgarian Bakelites, but good enough for me.

But their .223 mags shouldn't be ever marketed for AK/Saiga use.

Just my .02

Edited by Sgt. Raven

To be fair to the tapco, Ak mags uses the turret lugs you guys ground off to help support them. they are basically forward mag stops, not sure if they wouldn't just break anyway but i've seen "Ak pushups" from 7.62 tapco mags

Edited by ZombieJefferson

I THINK that ZJ is talking about the inside of the trunnion that Sarge and I have both ground out to feed AR mags with adapters. To that end- I'd have to agree with ZJ, but they were a bit loose and wobbly BEFORE all that.

To be fair, I'm talking about the Tapco GALIL mags- at least that is what I was using in MY rifle. Didn't even know they made a .223 AK mag... I'll have to try them! (no thanks).

Steel and Orlite Galil mags Still work fine, lock pretty tight. Some are better than others.

Mine ran tight and great before the MSA adapter... now they wobble pretty bad-

Same here and that was with the real Galil and the Tapco Galil.. I don't know how they operate yet but when I get to the range I hope they still function like yours

Edited by Whiskey

Sorry, I don't have anything to share about Galil mags.

BUT, I have two Circle 10 mags that have a SLIGHT wobble and one just survived 10 AK push-ups. (They are harder than they look!)

I will give the other one a go and see if it survives!

EDIT: Alright, I did five more with the other mag and am pooped for now, lol.

Edited by Pyzik
  • Like 1

Sorry, I don't have anything to share about Galil mags.

BUT, I have two Circle 10 mags that have a SLIGHT wobble and one just survived 10 AK push-ups. (They are harder than they look!)

I will give the other one a go and see if it survives!

EDIT: Alright, I did five more with the other mag and am pooped for now, lol.

http://youtu.be/FMmhIpoki8E

027.gif Pyzik... You rule. Wish I would have caught Chris's spill and posted it on YT. Outstanding!
  • 2 months later...

I don't know why this topic is at the top again, last post was a few months ago. Seems like a forum bug.

Any way, I bought two Tapco Galil mags to screw around with. Got home from a road trip and they were here waiting.

Both snap into the Saiga with no problem. They both feed snap caps by hand. BUT, both mags wobble all over the place, which frankly I expected. Will they work? Probably just fine.

Tapco really needs to make their new "slab side" magazines in 5.56 for Saiga, WASR/SAR, and SLR rifles. Even if they had no steel reinforcements, if they looked right (like a Beryl mag), and didn't wobble, they'd sell.

Mine fit reasonably tight beforr doing the Renegade Buck AR magwell adapter. After the front trunnion material was removed, they wobbled more than I was comfortable with. Not wanting them to go to waste, I added a bit of JB Weld to the sides and more so the front of the mags, which got rid of most of the excessive wobble. I had some steel Galils which were modified prior to the adapter installation which I did the same fix for.

I love the AR adapter, runs like a top. I found that he Tapco and Galil mags both fit unmodified since the trunnion material was removed for the adapter. Previously the front top of the mags needed a little material removed to fit, but the material removed for the AR adapter compensated for it.

I'm failing to see the usefulness in the AK push up "test".

Its a great sales pitch as you can go kinda easy on your own product and then slap in the competitions and give it a good twist to insure a dramatic failure. A test must involve controls of lateral forces ect. to actually give a real result.

And yes the bottom side of the trunnion is a lock up point. If you remove metal from that all AK pattern mags will wobble.

I'm failing to see the usefulness in the AK push up "test".

Its a great sales pitch as you can go kinda easy on your own product and then slap in the competitions and give it a good twist to insure a dramatic failure. A test must involve controls of lateral forces ect. to actually give a real result.

And yes the bottom side of the trunnion is a lock up point. If you remove metal from that all AK pattern mags will wobble.

Agree on p1-2; clarifying on last paragraph.

I purchased and tried Tapco AK/Galil mag before any receiver/trunnion/mag well modifications, and it wobbled horribly.

Hasn't FTF'd though, but I only used it 3 or 4 times (all- mag full).

It's just too thin for standard AK well.

Compare (L-R): Saiga OEM 10-rounder; Tapco AK/Galil and Magpul PMAG (AR).

post-28515-0-50728400-1343319678.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • 2 weeks later...