Foster VS round ball 12 gauge slugs

So I have been casting my own slugs and 00 buckshot for my S12 for a while now. I found a load that I love for slugs using 1 1/8 oz round ball slugs. With HK peep sights, I'm on paper at 50 yards. Not bad from a smoothbore with slugs. I found that using a cotton ball for an overshot card tightened the groups up a bit.

Anyway I was wondering is there any advantage to using a 1 oz foster type slug instead. I was looking at molds for them and they use a little less lead and was wondering if they would be any more accurate then what I'm using now.

I should also throw in that I don't use these for any kind of hunting or home defense. These slugs are strictly for fun. They punch BIG holes in car doors.!

• Like 1

So I have been casting my own slugs and 00 buckshot for my S12 for a while now. I found a load that I love for slugs using 1 1/8 oz round ball slugs. With HK peep sights, I'm on paper at 50 yards. Not bad from a smoothbore with slugs. I found that using a cotton ball for an overshot card tightened the groups up a bit.

Anyway I was wondering is there any advantage to using a 1 oz foster type slug instead. I was looking at molds for them and they use a little less lead and was wondering if they would be any more accurate then what I'm using now.

I should also throw in that I don't use these for any kind of hunting or home defense. These slugs are strictly for fun. They punch BIG holes in car doors.!

a man after my own heart! ive reloaded both. under 100 yrds ive seen no real difference. past that is where foster slugs come into their own. personally i prefer the solid round ball slugs, much better penetration. and they are faster to make.

a man after my own heart! ive reloaded both. under 100 yrds ive seen no real difference. past that is where foster slugs come into their own. personally i prefer the solid round ball slugs, much better penetration. and they are faster to make.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I just wanted someone with some experience with fosters to chime in. I guess I'll stick with the round balls.

Funny part about the slugs and buckshot is that I cast them from plumers lead. I get it all from my father in law who guts old houses. So needless to say most of it comes from old toilet drain seals. My friends are relentles in calling them poop slugs. But thats okay. The fact that at any given moment I have at least 500 loaded slugs at my disposal makes them all jelous. grimace.gif

• Like 1

That's kind of what I was thinking. I just wanted someone with some experience with fosters to chime in. I guess I'll stick with the round balls.

Funny part about the slugs and buckshot is that I cast them from plumers lead. I get it all from my father in law who guts old houses. So needless to say most of it comes from old toilet drain seals. My friends are relentles in calling them poop slugs. But thats okay. The fact that at any given moment I have at least 500 loaded slugs at my disposal makes them all jelous. grimace.gif

oh dont get me started on lead sources ive used. wheel weights. old birdshot. plumbers lead. soldering wire. pewter. fishing weights. battery cables. old car batteries (not recomended) lead bars from the "neighbors" old bullets from the range. and whatever else i come across. ill be in lead for awhile.

im not sure how many ive got loaded (several 50 bmg ammo cans) but ive gone through about 2500 primers.

Two Round Ball loads I've had tested. Use at own risk! Put 1/8 felt into wad, insert RB, trim the petals down so that they are below the mid point of the RB. FYI, not trimming the wad the diameter was about .742" Yep, that's wider than bore.

A.

Hull: Federal game load (maroon in color with paper base)

Primer: Fio 616

Powder: 800X, 28.19 grains

Wad: Federal S3 (trimmed so wad fins are behind Round Ball otherwise it is TOO wide for bore)

Felt: 1/8" inserted into wad below Round Ball

Round Ball: 492 grain (~.690")

Overshot card: 1 (20 gauge) on top of RB and it really improves the 8 point crimp.

Three round average: 1341fps, 7800psi

B.

Hull: Federal game load (maroon in color with paper base)

Primer: Fio 616

Powder: Longshot, 29.7 grains

Wad: Federal S3 (trimmed so wad fins are behind Round Ball otherwise it is TOO wide for bore)

Felt: 1/8" inserted into wad below Round Ball

Round Ball: 492 grain (~.690")

Overshot card: 1 (20 gauge) on top of RB and it really improves the 8 point crimp.

Three round average: 1235fps, 4266psi

(1213/4000, 1209/3900, 1285/4900)

I don't remember what the charge weight is but I use Red Dot. I run it as light as will still cycle the action. Still makes big holes in old car doors and very limited recoil. Lots of fun! But without a crono I have no idea how fast they are. I use Win. AA hulls, WAA12F114 wads and cotton as a overshot card. The cotton works real well but it kind of looks like it's snowing after I shoot because it rips apart as it comes out of the barrel.

be careful with red dot. ive done some light loads with bullsye and even then the pressure ratiings are higher than most loads. red dot has a faster burn rate than bullseye. just an fyi. anyway good luck with your loads.

I am just sorting out, and setting up 12ga reloading equipment. I am hoping to load slugs that are as accurate as the Winchester ones I buy in the store, but I don't know how much I can gain. So this thread seems like a good start!

Here is what the winchesters do for me at 100 yards.

edit: yes, smooth 18" bore

post-16191-0-04452100-1336065191_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobRez
  • 5 weeks later...

I used to cast round ball till I bought the lyman 525 slug mold last year. I cant go back to the round-ball because of the increased accuracy of the lyman. At over 1500fps they sound like a rattlesnake! Clean holes in everything I have shot with them.

• 1 year later...

Ask Red333. I know he does. I've been trying to get my hands on a second hand 525 mold since before the craziness.

Foster slugs do better than round ball, and lee molds are not hard to come by. They are also fast to cast with compared to the lyman design.