What are you guys feeding your Saiga .223s

The .223 barrel is a 1/9 twist (closer to 9.5 actually). Mine REALLY likes 62 grain, and will shoot 75 just fine too. It doesn't shoot the 55 or lighter stuff as well, but still just fine.

I mostly run Russian steel case, almost exclusively actually, but have run a fair amount of SS 109 through her. Brass doesn't like my AK, so I pretty much stick with the stuff we can't reload.

Those deals aren't hateful, but I'm paying 240/1000 of Wolf MC 62gr. FMJ from my dealer. I don't know where he's getting it though. I pay cash and never worry about the BATFEgs showing up wondering why we buy so much ammo...

I also run nearly all Russian. The only time I don't is if I can get brass cheaper (rare). I haven't done any accuracy shots yet (believe it or not I've had the rifle six years). I usually go to a friends and just shoot "stuff".

Absolutely going to the local 100 yard range this weekend though. I owe Bohound an accuracy/group report anyway.

Edited by Pyzik
  • Like 1

Any of these worth buying.....

http://ammo4guns.com/223_5.html

Whats a good bullet weight for a Saiga barrel twist?

It should run fine with any of those on that page. I usually run wolf, WPA, Tul ammo, Silver Bear and Monarch through mine, just depending on whats available. I have shot very little brass cased ammo through my Saiga rifles. I have constistently stayed with 50, 55 or 62 grain ammo, basically due to price and availability.

Edited by TJohn
  • Like 1

I also run nearly all Russian. I owe Bohound an accuracy/group report anyway.

That's right. ;)

Russian, J&G sales has a sale running on Wolf right now. 223 WPA (WOLF) 62gr FMJ, 1000rd. (5-702c) = $219.90

Also go here and select 223/5.56 http://gun-deals.com/ammo you'll get better pricing

This... (thanks for the site!)

It should run fine with any of those on that page. I usually run wolf, WPA, Tul ammo, Silver Bear and Monarch through mine, just depending on whats available. I have shot very little brass cased ammo through my Saiga rifles. I have constistently stayed with 50, 55 or 62 grain ammo, basically due to price and availability.

What he said...

:D

• Like 1

The .223 barrel is a 1/9 twist (closer to 9.5 actually). Mine REALLY likes 62 grain, and will shoot 75 just fine too. It doesn't shoot the 55 or lighter stuff as well, but still just fine.

I mostly run Russian steel case, almost exclusively actually, but have run a fair amount of SS 109 through her. Brass doesn't like my AK, so I pretty much stick with the stuff we can't reload.

Those deals aren't hateful, but I'm paying 240/1000 of Wolf MC 62gr. FMJ from my dealer. I don't know where he's getting it though. I pay cash and never worry about the BATFEgs showing up wondering why we buy so much ammo...

The BATFE have no interest in how much ammo you buy or have. I called them last year and asked. Their answer was I could buy it by the traincar if I wanted to. There was/is no law on how much you can buy or own. I bought a pallet of Golden Tiger. It is the best ammo I have ever ran through my Saiga and it works great in AR's too.

Saiga will generally eat anything, although I've had problems with HPs in the past. I suspect this was due to the poor positioning of the Galil mags I was using - they sat low enough that the HP round nose would catch on the bullet guide. I also find that XM193 is too hot for my taste, though it runs just fine. I may have had a bad lot of it, but it was seriously hot/overloaded.

As far as brass ammo goes, the Saiga loved PMC Bronze. This is great ammo, but a little bit more expensive than steel-cased.

Edited by mancat

I run only 62 grain outta mine, all whatever I can find...I got a few thou rounds of Brown Bear in 62 Grain HP they shoot really well. I have shot some of my uncles reloads for his 223 and had crazy good accuracy...I posted the pic somewhere on here...not sure what thread. I find the only reason I need a traincar of ammo is because this rifle is like a can of pringles...once you pop you can't stop...I go through several hundred rounds for shits and giggles...everytime I or anyone else for that matter getts a hold of my Saiga they get a shit eatin grin from pulling the trigger...greedy.gif

Hmmm, not sure of the brand but it's Russian steel cased stuff which I can't reload mostly due to the primers.....I believe (comes in cardboard boxes coloured red and green.....20 rounds per box wrapped in brown paper inside each box). Anyway, I have brass, heads, powder and am just waiting for small rifle primers to start hand loading my own to try and save some cash and get more accuracy out of the rifle/ammo combination.

My FAC only allows me to buy 200 rounds per go, and I can only have 250 rounds on hand at any one time.......which makes buying ammo expensive...right now I'm paying £40 (yup, GBP) for 100 rounds........ (now you can see why I wanna go the hand loading route....)

• Like 1

My 16 inch Saiga hates 55 grain bullets. The best I’ve found to date is 62 grain M855 NATO. Then 62 grain Silver Bear. Then 62 grain Wolf black box. Then 62 grain Tulammo. I tried some of my reloads using 55 grain bullets, and it was acceptable, but still not as good as the M855.

My brand new unconverted 16" had no problems with 200 rounds of Brown Bear 62 gr SP. Not a single failure, and all I did after taking the rifle out of the box was quick clean/lube.

I did not shoot for groups. I just was plinking with it during the break in period. This was going to be the wifes rifle (Mines a x39) but I may have to rethink that...... Lots of fun.

Edited by TheMantis