Title says it....I deal with a lot of the younger crowd in the tattoo shop. We charge a good rate, at least $100 per hour for tattoo in this town.

Kids don't seem to understand the concept of having and being On-Time for an appointment. It gets worse every year. They place more importance on Texting "whadda ya doin?" than the actual interaction with another human.

They think Nothing of showing up a half hour or more Late. Then are mad when I am already tattooing someone who was actually here in the shop.

The Biggest stinker of all is that Every One of them has a Fucking Telephone in their Pockets!!!!

Mommy never told them to call if they are gonna be late? No respect for costing me money?

Arrrrrrrgh!

All that technology in their pocket and they can't even use it for what it is...a PHONE!!

Rant over...Thanks.

• Like 8

Title says it....I deal with a lot of the younger crowd in the tattoo shop. We charge a good rate, at least $100 per hour for tattoo in this town.

Kids don't seem to understand the concept of having and being On-Time for an appointment. It gets worse every year. They place more importance on Texting "whadda ya doin?" than the actual interaction with another human.

They think Nothing of showing up a half hour or more Late. Then are mad when I am already tattooing someone who was actually here in the shop.

The Biggest stinker of all is that Every One of them has a Fucking Telephone in their Pockets!!!!

Mommy never told them to call if they are gonna be late? No respect for costing me money?

Arrrrrrrgh!

All that technology in their pocket and they can't even use it for what it is...a PHONE!!

Rant over...Thanks.

I couldn't agree more. There is this sense of entitlement they have that has no basis in fact and is difficult to explain.

• Like 2

They have been taught that they are entitled their whole life. We live in a society where "homeless people" have cell phones. They need someone to grab them and scream WTF are you doing!? Wake up! There are other people on the planet besides you! Piss poor generation of parents.

• Like 2

I won't pretend to know anything about tattoo shops, or how the fees/appointments are set..

However, have you ever thought of charging a chair deposit?

My dentist does it and its very effective, reduces the wait time for everyone as everyone is there on time for their appointment.. If your late your deposit is not applied to your bill, and you wait for the next opening.

• Like 2

We will be enforcing a deposit system, yes. However it is still a bummer to get $20 and Not tattoo for 2 hours. Murphy's law dictates that we will turn folks away, being booked for the day, and later appts pull a no-show and if we call the other guy, he already got the tat somewhere else.. The whole thing seems so preventable with a little sense of responsibility.

What I wanna know is, how the hell can they afford a tattoo when the taxpayers are paying their rent, groceries, and health care!? Oh..... nevermind. I just answered myself.bad_egg.gif

ETA: Perhaps the government should regulate who can get a tattoo by who is self-sufficient!

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 3

Seems a lot of times Mom and Dad are still footing the bill too.

It seems like folks had more common courtesy when their primary interacions with people were face to face.

They probably use the phone 20 times between their appt time and when they actually show, and not one communication was to me saying "hey, sorry but I am running late"

This is just one little aspect of what amounts to people becoming "Sheeple"

No respect for others, not caring about how your actions effect others leads right to " that new law does not apply to MY lifestyle....so why not pass it" thinking.

Is anyone actually raising their kids to be decent human beings or maybe even an upstanding proud American?

I bet more young folks would vote if they could just Text-vote! HA!

Is anyone actually raising their kids to be decent human beings or maybe even an upstanding proud American?

Lord knows I'm trying Rob. Mine is just finishing her first year at college and I have noticed a major change.

It is a major effort to keep you kids focused in a world so out of focus.

I'm 28, and a lot of my friends are still living with parents, "going to school," and so on. Most are too incompetent or careless to keep a minimum wage job. It gives me a huge leg up in the job world, though I've had the same job for about 7 years now. Most people I work with are twice my age.

• Like 1

This is what old people have always thought and said about youngins. I had a lady tell me how my generation sucks is lazy and feels super entitled. Its all a giant bullshit cycle. Some of yall are just old ass hippies that did similar dumb shit some of us do. I understand where it comse from but it is blown out of proportion.

Regardless of the many conversations and this small rant on this topic Im sure I will be saying the same stuff when Im craping my depends.

Painting with a broad brush?

Yeah, I hear ya, but when all there were was Rotary dial phones, somehow, I managed to make a call if I was gonna be late to stuff. All I am saying, is they have a Fuckin Phone in their Damn pockets and will use them non-stop all day for anything BUT a phone call to say "I'm late. The Phone is in their Fuckin' Pocket, man, not miles away at home.

Hell, half the time a kid will bring friends to watch nthe tattoo and all they do is sit and text other folks...3 guys in a room who came for a good time, not even interacting with each other!

"How was Jims' tattoo?", "I dunno, I was texting you the whole time."

This is what old people have always thought and said about youngins. I had a lady tell me how my generation sucks is lazy and feels super entitled. Its all a giant bullshit cycle. Some of yall are just old ass hippies that did similar dumb shit some of us do. I understand where it comse from but it is blown out of proportion.

Regardless of the many conversations and this small rant on this topic Im sure I will be saying the same stuff when Im craping my depends.

Right. When I was young my generation did stupid shit as well and now that I'm older and smarter I realize that the older people back then had a right to complain, just like I know that I (we) have a right to complain about the same stupid shit that I (we) see coming from the latest crop. And that's what we're doing. And we are speaking in generalities and about trends so no need to get defensive if you're not one of the knuckleheads we're talking about. The real problem is that it is not so much a "cycle" as it is a downward slide. It's something that gets progressively worse with each new generation. Edited by DogMan
  • Like 3

Next time you see the no-shows, tell them that you are happy they did not waste their money on such a frivilous and vain expression of self importance, for they will need every cent they own to survive in the very near future.

• Like 2

I have 13 and a 16 boys. Even tho they have freinds that are allowed to get away with anything, mine understand that me and the wife are benevolent dictators. I will bend over to make sure they have what they need and generally what they want. I give them free will and allow them to make decisions. I teach them that they should question authority and never accept the status quo.

However, freedom and priviledge comes with the price tag of responsibility. They are responsible for the respect of authority even tho it is in question. They are responsible to acheive and maintain the grades they are capable. They are responible and accountable to conduct themelves appropriately. So far neither have have fucked up to the point of no return. They are not perfect nor do i expect perfection. There are day when i want to knock their ass thru the wall. But i know that if they have made an appointment to get a tat at your shop they will be there, on time, with cash they earned.

• Like 5

Our artist charges a chair deposit... Usually $50, we get ours with a phone call at this point- because we ALWAYS show up, turn our phone off or on silent, sit down, shut up, and let him go to work.

Usually he'll throw on a concert movie, or just a cd... Either way, it's a good exposure to some different music in addition to watching him do his incredible artwork.

It's a respect thing, really. The man is not just performing a service, he's an artist- that will be with us the rest of our lives. Respect should be mutual- the quality of our work reflects that I think.

Plus- he gets repeat business, and great word of mouth.

I think the chair deposit is a good idea- make it something like 25-30% of the total, and post signs alerting everybody that after a "no show" of 1/2 hour with no call- the chair is "open", deposit lost, rescheduling at the artist's availability.

Sometimes it pays to be direct, and crystal clear- it's an investment for all parties really.

That said- I FEEL your angst at the younger "adults" these days, I STILL don't want to be lumped in with the "old" though.

Would you believe "Not all of us kids are like that?" :D

I work with a lot of seniors so they give me shit all the time I understand where you all are coming from its just a subject that pumps me up a little bit cause its thrown in my face a lot.

-23 yo

Sounds like an opportunity to show those seniors that, in your case at least, they are mistaken.

Or whining.

Take your pick. I'm just reading words on a screen, and typing.

I have 13 and a 16 boys. Even tho they have freinds that are allowed to get away with anything, mine understand that me and the wife are benevolent dictators. I will bend over to make sure they have what they need and generally what they want. I give them free will and allow them to make decisions. I teach them that they should question authority and never accept the status quo.

I have done the same with my children, except that, while I have provided everything they need, they have been taught that their "wants" are contingent on their actions and their own contribution. All of my children had summer jobs as teens to give them the ability to make their own money for frivolities that they eventually came to lose interest in and/or regret spending so much time working for, rather than me spending my hard earned dollars on.

I have one son who is a conductor on a freight railroad for eight years now, one son who went through welding school while working for the pipe fitters union and is now a corrections officer for the state because he saw the pension capability at a younger age, and a 14 yo daughter that is a highest honors student who plays on three different softball teams. She aspires to be a forensic pathologist and is working very hard towards scholarships. (Bragging some.)

Jbanda, I like your ethics, realize though, that being young and fresh meat, the old guys are going to ride you a little.

• Like 2

You must also take into consideration that you are in the most liberal city in Montana. It's really bad down there. The public school system is just as responsible for raising slacker kids as the parents. The kids up here near Kalispell and Whitefish are quite a bit different. They may look like clowns with their city clothes but they open door for women and say yes sir and mamm.

Deposits are a great idea and another idea that may help since they all have a radioactive microwave transmitter attached at the hip, would be to have your secretary text them the day before the appointment with a reminder and one hour before the session.

Our doctor sends out a text like clock work 24 hours before the appointment and then three hours before the actual appointment time.

It keeps me in check! :)

What kind of items do you like to trade for? Silver? Ammo? Claymores? :)

• Like 1

At my work we have an extremely skilled tattooist, he does evening appointments only with a multi week wait and if you don't show he doesn't do your tattoo then or ever. hardly a good business model unless you're in high demand and have a second source of income.

I myself have only a retirement tattoo. Where I worked as a sprout you could have no ink anywhere on your body, when you left field work you got a tattoo to assure you didn't go back when bored.

There are young kids with integrity. I work with a few, I voted that one get promoted ahead of me recently because he will fill the desired supervisor position very well.

The real trick here is to properly reward the ones who do well.

How that would work in a tattoo shop I do not know.

Kind of off-topic but I was listening to the stupid tv in the background this morning.

The local "news" channel did a story on what they described as an epidemic. Kids getting injured playing *video games*.

What are they gonna do? Make them wear seat-belts and helmets? LOL. How the hell does one get hurt playing a video game?

WTF? When's the last time anyone has seen a tree-fort? That's what we all did as kids; but that was quite a long time ago.

geny.jpg

not mine, but damn its accurate!

People born before 1946 were called The Silent Generation.

People born between 1946 and 1964 are called The Baby Boomers.

People born between 1965 and 1979 are called Generation X.

People born between 1980 and 2010 are called Generation Y.

Why do we call the last group Generation Y?

Y should I get a job?

Y should I leave home and find my own place?

Y should I get a car when I can borrow yours?

Y should I clean my room?

Y should I wash and iron my own clothes?

Y should I buy any food?

Or maybe even, Y should I pull up my pants?

• Like 1

Right. When I was young my generation did stupid shit as well and now that I'm older and smarter I realize that the older people back then had a right to complain, just like I know that I (we) have a right to complain about the same stupid shit that I (we) see coming from the latest crop. And that's what we're doing. And we are speaking in generalities and about trends so no need to get defensive if you're not one of the knuckleheads we're talking about. The real problem is that it is not so much a "cycle" as it is a downward slide. It's something that gets progressively worse with each new generation.

Clearly, Jbanda1213 is one of the knuckleheads this thread is addressing. His reply reeks of it.

Raising teenagers in today's society has been extremely difficult. I feel like the media is teaching our kids the opposite of personal responsibility or having any moral foundation whatsoever.

When I get frustrated, my wife goes out of her way to point out that we have raised good kids.

This Internet and cellphone stuff wasn't around 20 years ago and caught alot of parents, and society as a whole, off-guard.

Next year, my daughter is off to college and my son will take her place as a high school senior. They are both, strong-willed, independent thinkers.

We must be doing something right...

Last night, at dinner, my son informed me that he wants a rifle for his 18th B-day. He's been watching me working on my Saigas. Makes a dad proud.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

*pulls pants up*

Clearly! The youth these days.

We are all products of our parents and our environment. Every generation has an impact on the next. Im sorry as I should never had commented I dont have tattoos.

Your all right, hanging out on gun forum is pretty good for a youngin, don't let us old farts get to ya. While your working with them old folks, get all of the stories and info you can. Comes in handy if they can remember what they where talking about..........

• Like 1