MSA install - help please

after slow and careful trimming and filing the adaptor fits nice and flush and clicks solidly in place. My issue is the mag's I have a generic aluminum Gi mags and come NOWHERE near sitting high enough to feed. I even filed down the feed lips on the mag to try and move it up but it looks like Id have to file them down well past the top of the follower to come close. Something Id rather not do.

Rather than dremeling the hell out of the trunion I opted to file the walls of the adaptor to fit as Im more confortable ruining the $80 adaptor than a $300 rifle. I did square the front up with a dremel and bit and i did dremel down the rivets a tick so the adaptor would slide up. Is my cautious approach where I went wrong? Waiting for Pmags in the mail for trial fit. Any insight is appreciated. Pics on request later if needed - on lunch at work now.

So far still pleased with my purchase. Here's to Nathan and teh folks at MSA/Texas AK.

pics: adapter seated, side view.

inside trunnion-where you ground.

adapter mods you made.

Sight unseen, you have not ground the locking tabs deep enough... Are the AR mags locking in?

Pics, of course, help.

Been there...

You can mod your mags to fit without dremelling the trunnion, to start with.

At the end, why not to make it comparable with both?

Zombies don't file their mags down, so you can't use trophy ordnance: that sucks!

But, as you wish...

That's what I've done to (only one) PMAG before modding the trunnion; others left "as is" and now works well, since trunion lugs modification.

Hope that helps.

post-28515-0-37942300-1335579116_thumb.jpg

post-28515-0-61953800-1335579118_thumb.jpg

post-28515-0-15714100-1335579121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Raven

Im an idiot...kind of. Never realized before how much really needs cut away. Pictures didnt quite do it justice until I had it in hand and now looking at the pictures again...yipes. Makes me wonder how anyone can actually do this whole project with just a dremel. The way I've filed the walls on the adaptor will allow more metal at the base of the ears which i like but you really do gotta cut those ears down by half.

Now before I go any further...Its been my understanding that one is still able to use the saiga mags after this mod...but the saiga mags meet the trunion ears where they are and sits flush with them. After the mod what would stop the front of a saiga mag from being pushed up into the receiver "too high?

And i got two options when i proceed...buddys a machinist but cant use his work machines for personal use but plans to be getting his own mill/lathe combo "soon", or keep moving slow and steady as I have been. And someone, could you please tell me one more time thats its perfectly okay to remove that much meat. I'm more than able to do it well, but that is a lot of metal to get rid of.

We always suggested using a mill to remove the material as it is the most accurate way of doing so. If you have the use of one it will make your would a lot easier. The instruction you shoud have gotten with laid out the depth measurement and width measurement to make the right cuts. There are tons of photos here but you have to go .88-.89" in depth from the bottom of the reciever for an AR mag to fully seat. And yes you can still use your factory and aftermarket mags.

About modding your AR mags (it was suggested by Renegade Buck himself many years ago on this very forum) I said it then and I'll say it again.

DON'T

Nowhere have I ever heard of a gunsmith or professional weapons expert suggest doing so. If you need a detailed explanation as to why. Please return your firearm to the safe and ponder what your life is worth when it goes Tango Uniform. Anyone who does or activly promotes the act of doing so (No offense to Sgt. Raven) lacks the skills and common firearm knowledge needed to be a gunsmith or a authority on a firearm or the function of and should not be giving advice.

Feed angle, live round and force. It is all about the magazine follower and how it stays level (or at specified feed angle needed) so rounds properly strip and chamber. Any removal or weakening of the front wall can and will allow the follower to tilt and allow the round to nosedive south of the chamber. This is an unchambered round subject to a possible primer strike. Side effects include but are not limited to. Wasted time, ammo and money. And if you're really unlucky. A nice boom and a shit ton of collateral damage to your person.... worst case your life. Now if you're still with me and think this can't happen.... I'm not going to argue or try convincing you. All I ask is make sure you have a good life insurance policy to cover you affairs and take care of you love ones.

As great as the Saiga forum is and loves to modify the AK to reflect their personal taste. Do not forget this is a weapon first and foremost. Not your childs snap gun or a play toy. A firearm is to be handled with caution and respect. The moment you don't it will claim you. Any modification to a rifle should be cautiously calculated and all factors considered in relation to weapon function. When in doubt about a modification consult a professional.

For the record... there has been no.... none.... never.... failure of rifle on record that follows the exact instructions as I laid out in depth and width measurements. The adapter I designed and brought to market has a specific feed angle to mimic that of the AK magazine. So when you're buying an adapter from us you are getting a product that is precision milled to a specific tolerance to ensure your safety and reliability.

Refrence pic of what I am talking about.

IMG_0380.jpg

• Like 1

Nathan - A1. PM replied to. Please read if you have the time. FYI, I received no instructions but knew well enough to read here before hacking my gun to bits so I've done no harm at all.

Everyone else - Those that offered help, thank you. Those that feel iffy about doing business with MSA... i would again suggest you opt for patience and pay your money to a man who is obviously trying to make a good product and make right with his customers. I was Pmed a personal number for assistance and to me that says a lot. With my little experience in this specific instance I feel like most problems have originated from the customer and not the product (shipping time still isnt great...but...american small business. I'll bite). With that final reassurance I'll keep moving on the project and will post for the community after putting some dummies through it and again with a range report.

• Like 1

Functions exactly as advertised with dummies. With a dremel and carbide bit I cut down to the specified amount. I did have to trim the AR mag catch as the Pmag was just a rats @$$ hair from clicking in but now works wondefully. My cheap GI mag still wont lock in but it too is but a rats @$$ hair away so a tit more trimming should do. In both cases if I firmly push the catch lever in it will lock up. Hand cycling produces the results it should. I'm pleased and will do my best to hit the range this week and report again.

On a side not I spoke briefly with Nathan last night and he was very helpful though by that time i really had already figured out my issue, which to be clear, was an issue with my work, not the product. After asking permission he called at 11pm his time. Well past regular business hours. I will not hesitate to recommend his product to someone who is responsible, patient, and knowledgable during installation and i will likely do business with him again.

*edit - also delightfully surprised to see the Pmag follower act as a LRBHO. I retained the factory BHO during conversion but its still a nice feature to have.

Edited by burnpgh
  • Like 2

97 rounds , 1 FTF with a Pmag 20 round mag. 2nd to last round. Tulammo. Have to check my depth once more. Maybe I'm a few thousanths shallow? The way the round was cockeyed looked to me like a bullet guide would make the function fool proof and I'd rather add than try to accurately shave only a few thousands with a dremel. 1 out of 100 (basically). Im still pleased with the product.

Edited by burnpgh